Balding

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Simple Man

Post by Simple Man »

Trying to keep it looks a whole lot worse than letting it go.

I keep mine short anyway, but the first sign of the first ones trying to let go and they are all going. No sense in fighting a mutiny, Arrh matey.
Romans 8:31 ....If God is for us, who can be against us? - <><

The Spyderco hole is a rotating mechanical assembly of one part.

".....tractors don't have to look like Ferraris" -Sal
deeker

Post by deeker »

I'm using #2 on the trimmer. Nice and short and tidy. Simple and straightforward to care for, too.

I have a bald spot on the top of my head and have to watch the sunburn, but other than that it's fine.
cheez

Post by cheez »

Vincent wrote:I would not be a good looking bald
Shave your head. Best option IMHO. You could also start listening to OI! Punk and pretend you're a skin! ;)

(I am not balding yet, but I'm already am a "skinhead" :D )

My advice is, despite some humor, meant seriously.

Keno
"I sold my voice to pay for my security. Now I write my sentences on its walls." - Jason Cruz
steve andrews

Post by steve andrews »

Keep what hair you still have short. When it's cold, wear a hat.
rlw1979777

Post by rlw1979777 »

Man can I relate to this forum. I have been shaving my head with no gaurd for almost 15 years now. I havent paid for a haircut in 15 YEARS! The other thing other then sunburn I would recommend is make sure you put bug spray on your head. Mosquitoes will make your head all bumpy.
I have a small collection.. At least in my mind its small. All respect to Sal and this great company! Collector Club Member #120
Spyderguyl

Post by Spyderguyl »

I'm just one woman, but here's my opinion.....
Hair is overrated, bald is actually very nice looking :o
Spyderguyl :eek:
Shike

Post by Shike »

Had a friend (with a full head of hair) who shaved his head after I shaved mine. I told him: Dude, grow the hair back! His head looked like a bag full of ping pong balls :eek: :D He had more knots in his head than Stormdrane's blog.

Shike
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

rlw1979777 wrote:Man can I relate to this forum. I have been shaving my head with no gaurd for almost 15 years now. I havent paid for a haircut in 15 YEARS! The other thing other then sunburn I would recommend is make sure you put bug spray on your head. Mosquitoes will make your head all bumpy.
The last time I paid for a haircut was late in 1981, and that was a Navy barber. ;)
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
J Smith

Post by J Smith »

I started at about 30,not worried about it at all.When it gets to thin I will shave it.If they came up with a pill that I only had to take one of to regrow it and it was less than 100.00 I might take it.
[CENTER]0 0[/CENTER]
[CENTER]<[/CENTER]
[CENTER]\____/[/CENTER]
Ed Schempp

Hair

Post by Ed Schempp »

I have a very high forehead that took years to develop. It is still moving back and the top is thinning. But I haven't really lost any hair. It just took up a new location to grow. My nose, ears, and back all have abundant growth that has taken the place of the hair that used to grow on my head. I think that I'm close to zero loss overall...Take Care...Ed
BuffaloBill

Post by BuffaloBill »

when i grew my hair out for my brothers wedding i noticed a lot of hair in my pillow when i woke up in the morning and it seemed a little thin (maybe cause i wasn't used to have hair, usually shave it down to the skin) and my dad was bald on the top of his head i think by 20-21 i'm 24 so i guess as long as i beat out 21 with hair i should be happy.

i dont mind losing my hair if i am, but as long as it is all over and not just the "horeshoe"
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
^Click (needs updating)
spyderknut

Post by spyderknut »

Bald is ok. I am fortunate to have a full head of hair at twice Vincent's age. IMO balding with closely trimmed hair looks WAY better than bad plugs, a rug or a combover. Own it.
"There's no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing." -- my grandfather
Collector #041
white cloud

Post by white cloud »

in my experience most women of quality value men who are interesting, fit and well groomed. hair loss is not a big deal for them.
psimonl

Post by psimonl »

If it weren't of the attraction hair is supposed to have on other people, we wouldn't care about it.... But one thing that beats all the attractive stuff, hair, clothes or else is..........................................................Self confidence....

People just can't resist a man with self confidence, one who assumes who and what he is.... One that is in peace with what he is and what he looks like......

Take care and like Ed said, those hair will find other places to grow.... :p

Simon
"Everyday above the ground and vertical is a good day".
-Sir A. Hopkins in "The world's Fastest Indian"

"If it hurts, it means you're not dead..."
-Kayakist Marie-Pier Cote

The Spyderco Cookbook
ghostrider

Post by ghostrider »

J Smith wrote:….If they came up with a pill that I only had to take one of to regrow it and it was less than 100.00 I might take it.
That about sums up the extent of my concern for balding.

My dad started balding at about 24 I guess.

I always had a high forehead, even as a kid. People were giving me a hard time about a “receding hairline” when I was in high school, even though I hadn’t yet started loosing it.

Like yab, mine never recovered from boot camp. Ever since then, my “crown” has kept getting bigger to the point where it now meets the front. I’m now left with an island of hair that forms what’s left of the widow’s peak if I don't shave it properly.

Seeing my dad while growing up I just accepted it as a part of life. Had a woman who cut it for about the last five years until I finally just started using the clippers myself. First time she finished cutting my hair she asked me how it looked and my response was, “it looks fine, but you took too much off the top in the back” ;) :D . Thinking I was serious she responded that it wasn’t her doing. I just told her to not worry about it since it took all the cowlics back there with it. I think that’s about the time she realized I was joking.

Then there was the time when my sister’s youngest daughter (about five at the time) came up to me and said, “Uncle ghostrider, your bald”. Not being one to miss such an opportunity I responded, “I am not bald, I am follicly challenged!” She said, “what does fow lic aly challenged mean?”, my response, “Ask your mother.” :D
First they came for the Trade Unionists, and I did not stand up, because I was not a Trade Unionist.
[INDENT]
[INDENT][INDENT]Attributed to Pastor Martin Niemöller [/INDENT] [/INDENT][/INDENT]
Thread for tying tips:
http://spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18317

Hawkbills- Sink in the tip, and let it rip!!! :D - Axlis
ozspyder

Post by ozspyder »

I had a receeding hairline from way back due mainly to stress. I found myself when studying I would grab and pull the hairs out of the front of my head. I still do that ! especially when under stress (ummm, that would be all the time :p )

I had a full head of hair up until a couple of years ago. Since it gets very hot here in Oz I decided to shave it to a No.2 all over. I could grow it all back but I have found it very cool (literally !) but with my busy life and the 5 kids the best thing is the saving of water in our drought-stricken country, savings of shampoo, no 'bed-head' problems, no 'hat-head' problems etc...

I have tried growing it back a few times cos my parents hate it, my wife loves it, my kids love it. But everyone is used to the look now. Initially they were very shocked. When it gets too long I feel stifled and off it goes :p

I say f**k it, shave it off and enjoy the fresh air :D
Cheers
Daniel (Certified Persian & Kopa nut)
Facebook profile: https://www.facebook.com/ozspyder
:spyder: I love my: Persians, Kopas, and Lums
:spyder: * Daniel's Spyderco Hoard *
:spyder: * Ozspyder's Kopa Kabana *
Billy

Post by Billy »

I guess I'll add my story too. When I was in my early 20's, I had looong hair and wore it in a ponytail much of the time. I was sooo cool. :cool: Then I cut it and had a regular "man's" haircut, as my wife calls it, for a few years. Then when I was about 26, I noticed it starting to recede and a bald spot starting to develop, so I wore it in flattop mode for a couple of years. When I was 28, I buzzed the whole thing down to peach fuzz and kept it that way for about 10 years. Two years ago at age 38, I decided to just let it grow for one year and see what happened. Yep, it got long in the back and on the sides, but the top just wouldn't keep up, so I've been getting it cut professionally for the last 6 months or so, and I keep having her go shorter and shorter. Guess what? The next time I need a hair cut, I'm whipping out the ol' clippers and just doing it myself again. Much easier, less time-consuming and free!

Like most everyone here, I will say F' it and just shave it. You don't even have to buzz it all the way down either and if you don't like it, it's just hair and you can regrow it to a length you're more comfortable with.
I prefer to ask for forgiveness rather than permission.
I LOVE MY MILLIES
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Burchtree

Post by Burchtree »

Yup -- losing hair, or have been thinning for quite some time. Unfortunately; I also have an ugly head and a beard, so not quite sure how make that "beard transition" if I shave it all (been growing one since gettign out of the Marines). Either way, I keep the top pretty short.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

When I was out on submarine patrol, I used to let my hair and beard grow way beyond Navy regs. I mean, who's going to see me? It isn't like the brass can drop in unexpectedly. About a week before we pulled in to port, I'd trim my hair and beard back to within the standards, and life would go on.

One patrol, six hours after I had trimmed everything up, the X.O. (second in command of the ship for those who don't speak militarese) walked by and commented that in about two more days, I was going to be on his haircut list. For some reason, that really annoyed me, so I proceded to shave my head and cut my beard back to a mustache and goatee. The X.O. didn't say another word to me for six months. :D

That's how I handled the shaved head/beard transition. ;)
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.