Neck and neck

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Bluntrauma

Neck and neck

Post by Bluntrauma »

...and the winner is?

Just wondering if any of you have a knife that you value as much as a Spyderco? :eek:

I know. Blasphemy.

Taking in consideration quality, ergonomics and any other laundry list of items you deem important, who holds a candle to the :spyder: ?
Sometimes you gotta kick at the darkness until it bleeds daylight.

AKA: Liveitloud on Blade Forums, USN, EDC, Benchmade forums and basically everywhere but here.
liveit_loud on Ebay.
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

I have other quality knives. They are fine. But to me, the thing that sets a Spyderco apart is 'it has it all'. In other words, I don't have to give up a feature I really want, and Spyderco's features are superior.

My knives need to be med-large to fit my hands, have a thumb open (and the spyder-hole is best), a pocket clip, great steel, great handle, smooth action. I have some of these features in my non-Spydies but none have them all. I had a Benchmade with a thumb disk but the knife went missing several years ago. It was pretty good.

With FBs the feature list changes and comes down mostly to blade shape and materials. My non Spydies include carbon steel MK-I and MK-II, Gerber Rosewood handled Hunter and a Griffen ATS-34. Those are all terrific FBs. Can't wait for the Hossom's though.... They look great.

Ken
玉鋼
denn

Post by denn »

don't own it anymore, but it used to be the Al Mar SERE 2000. man, what a custom-quality-like knife, built like a tank with a custom job done on it, amazing quality!

i sold and gave away mine (i had 3 actually....even the Butch Vallotton D/A automatic, silly me...) because i felt the S2K was too heavy, had thumbstuds and tip-up clip only.

my brother still has his black S2K Ltd. Ed. #075/200 i sold him, and every time i'm at his house he asks me if i want to fondle the AMK again... :) . and i DO, heheh :)
dalefuller

Post by dalefuller »

I don't have anything that I TRUST as much as my Spydercos, although I value (for various reasons) some of the others as much as my Spydercos.
Regards,
Dale

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went."
~ Will Rogers, 1879-1935
gordonk

Post by gordonk »

It depends :) I've had my Caly 3 now for a couple of weeks - it's pretty close between it and my D4 and my BM Mini-Grip. At this moment in time, I value the D4 more (I own 4 :) ) but that may change depending on what I do, as well. In the Al Mar SERE 2K and BM 710 arena, no, I don't have a Spydie I would value more - but I would suspect that a Manix would be "in there" :) if I owned one. I have a PE Police but right for the moment (I've had it about the same length of time as the Caly 3) I wouldn't value it more than my SERE 2K or BM 710.

- gord
denn

Post by denn »

just remembered some more "spyderco-contenders"....:

-benchmade 806 afck
-jens anso's folders

Sal should've never agreed with BM in the days starting with 800 series with the round-hole. agreeing on it with anso was a nice gesture though.

note to Sal: be careful whom you share the patented hole with ;)
Simple Man

Post by Simple Man »

Spyderco for folders,
Swamp Rat and Bark River for fixed blades. SR Howling Rat in particular.

(I do have a PE Temp however....)
Romans 8:31 ....If God is for us, who can be against us? - <><

The Spyderco hole is a rotating mechanical assembly of one part.

".....tractors don't have to look like Ferraris" -Sal
ronin203

Post by ronin203 »

After my spyderco's I like the emerson commander and the cqc7. :cool:
if you find yourself in a fair fight, you did'nt prepare well enough. .." Hock Hochiem"..:spyder: " An object at rest cannot be stopped". The evil bomber what bombs at midnight. ;) :spyder: :spyder:
whitefeather

Post by whitefeather »

I own 17 :spyder: and only 4 BM, but I would have to say that my favorite is my S30V, BM943 Osborne. Super smooth action, zero blade play, and I'm in love with the axis lock!....(although I did have to shell out a good amount of cash for this one)
My spydies still get just as much EDC.
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

Strider SnG & my Strider MV.

Victorinox Trekker.

Mike Mooney Semi-Sgian Dubh.

Lile #1

Those are just a few off the top of my head.
"A Delica is still a better weapon than a keyboard and a sour attitude..." Michael Janich
squad314

Post by squad314 »

I have a small classic CRK Sebenza that I'm very fond of. :)
denn

Post by denn »

squad314 wrote:I have a small classic CRK Sebenza that I'm very fond of. :)
and rightly so, they're very nice, and that's an understatement by the way
Padawan

Post by Padawan »

I'm not a "Spyderco-only" individual, though the company has definitely come to be one of my favourites as of late. That being said, besides my Spyderco's, I would place my M2 Doug Ritter Mini RSK-1 among my top knives.
aj1985

Post by aj1985 »

sebenza nuff said :p
Live in every breath

INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE
peacefuljeffrey

Post by peacefuljeffrey »

I have a Benchmade AFCK with titanium liners from a few years ago, but I haven't carried it in a long time.

I don't know if my memory of it is faulty or not, but I could swear that when I got it, it closed nice and parallel. Then I took it apart for some reason (don't even remember why, but this was at least three years ago) and now the blade is a bit closer to one handle scale when closed. I have to admit it could have been that way since the beginning, but can't swear to it.

That crookedness is the only reason I wouldn't equate the knife with, say, my Military.

Oh, and I also have a Benchmade Elishewitz Dark Star with gold titanium liners. I just took it out of a box moments ago to admire it, and it is a mighty fine knife. One of the smoothest actions on any knife I have, and gorgeous looks. The only things that are drawbacks to it are thumb stud (since I prefer the Hole) and it's a liner lock (since I'd love it to be a Compression Lock, but hey, that's a total fantasy). The blade shape is beautiful.

But it, too, is no Spyderco.
"Within this frame an ocean swells -- behind the smile -- I know it well..."
peacefuljeffrey

Post by peacefuljeffrey »

whitefeather wrote:I own 17 :spyder: and only 4 BM, but I would have to say that my favorite is my S30V, BM943 Osborne. Super smooth action, zero blade play, and I'm in love with the axis lock!....(although I did have to shell out a good amount of cash for this one)
My spydies still get just as much EDC.

Ain't nothin' wrong with an Axis Lock. :)

I prefer the Ball Bearing, but it's simply not in enough knives. :rolleyes:
"Within this frame an ocean swells -- behind the smile -- I know it well..."
Agent Starling

Post by Agent Starling »

Bluntrauma wrote:Just wondering if any of you have a knife that you value as much as a Spyderco? :eek:
Ha! ;) :D

Hard to compare with the Spydies...how many manufacturers make so many great HAWKBILLS...and if there were, I sure as heck probably wouldn't know about 'em since I only have time for full-time knife obsession with one company's knives... :rolleyes: :)

Having said that, I really do dig my Microtech SoCom Elite PE Tanto...hefty little bugger...but one heckuva awesome knife!!! :D :D :D

Agent Starling
"Too many was too many, but way too many was just right."
Shike

Post by Shike »

aj1985 wrote:sebenza nuff said :p
I'm wit ya!
Shike

Post by Shike »

aj1985 wrote:sebenza nuff said :p
I'm wit ya! :D
MacTech

Post by MacTech »