Does anything open a sweet as a D'Allara?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Veegun

Does anything open as sweet as a D'Allara?

Post by Veegun »

I find it real hard to believe that any Spydernut could not own the D'Allara after trying it out for size..

I got some big mits and the D is pure magic to snap open.

If Sal were to make a couple minor changes in appearance I think he could have a HUGE hit on our hands.

IMO the bolster could be a bit more fluid with the rest of the knife, especially when closed. As it is it just looks a tad weird. Too pointy.
The Shape of the blade could be streamlined some too. Take the hump off of it so it's not so dang big in the pocket.
Lose the notch at the end of the blade, it tends to catch on stuff when cutting.

Bend the wire clip so it sits lower like the Caly 3 too.

Other than that leave the rest alone.
amen74

Post by amen74 »

The D'Allara is a fantastic knife. I remember when I first opened mine. Smooth as butter, silk, whatever phrase you'd like to use, that's it. One of the best Spyderco values. You get a lot of knife with the D'Allara. :D
Aaron

Current EDCs: Golden models
:spyder: FG D2 Military:cool: Orange UKPK:spyder:

NEXT: Rock Lobster, Manix2, TiMil
feeny

Post by feeny »

try the t-mag for a unique opening experience.
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

I too like the D'Allara Drop Point. I just couldn't get used to how wide it was when closed up and in the pocket. The blade is great, the grinds, are great, and the lock is great. I just wasn't fond of the wire clip onthis knife as it seemed too close to the handle. It just didn't seem to have much room for a thick pocket to fit in between the handle and the clip.

I love the lock. The problem is that it opened way too easily. So much so that a couple times it could come open just moving the knife around (not flinging it around just moving it around). On mine I had to tighten the pivot down a bit so it didn't open so easily.

Great knife it just needed to have a less wide profile when closed.
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
A.P.F.

Post by A.P.F. »

I really like the D'Allara for it's smooth action and solid lockup, however it is a knife that I never carry. I have found that the knife is simply too wide for my pocket, in that I have difficulty reaching past the knife for other things. However, I still have no problem recommending the knife as a tough and well made folder.
Regards, Al

The "soul" of hi-tech materials like G-10, H1, ZDP, Titanium, carbon fiber, etc is found in the performance. That appreciation of the "spirit" comes out in time, after use. It's saying, you can depend on me! I'm there for you no matter what! - Sal Glesser
Tank

Post by Tank »

I don't have one but would agree that is opens very nice. Of my collection my SS ATR has the absolute best opening action and lock up.
-John
Joshua J.

Post by Joshua J. »

Does anything open as sweet as a D'Allara?

Ahh... Ahhh... CHOO(Benchmade)OO.

Sorry, I think i had something stuck up my nasal passage.

Seriously though, most Axis lock knives seem to have the ability to open with almost no resistance and do it with virtually no blade play. They're consistent about it too.

On a side note, the Pheonix is probably something to look into if you want a knife with looks to match the functionality of the Ball lock.
ClockWork

Post by ClockWork »

Tank wrote: Of my collection my SS ATR has the absolute best opening action and lock up.
+1 for the ATR

IMHO the smoothness of the ATR blows the D'Allara out of the water
:rolleyes:

-Clock
:cool:
:) Favorites: Black Paramil w/ D2 blade, PE Mini-Manix, S90v Military, Civilian, SE Dodo, PE Police, Sage

Vist my eBay store: Life and Liberty Gear
Tactical & MOLLE gear, Headgear and more

stores.ebay.com/Life-and-Liberty-Gear
jujigatame

Post by jujigatame »

feeny wrote:try the t-mag for a unique opening experience.
Yeah, that one is pretty much frictionless. There's nothing rubbing against the blade or any impediment besides the pressure from the pivot. The D'Allara is pretty dang smooth though, as far as production knives go.
~ Nate