What's Cool Vs. What Works

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
vivi

What's Cool Vs. What Works

Post by vivi »

A few months ago on bladeforums I made a post to the effect of "I love my UKPK, it's the best knife design I've ever used. In fact I like it so much that I don't buy knives anymore, because I can't find a design that looks like it will make a better EDC"

Since making that post I've acquired a tip up BG42 / CF Military, Stretch 2, Caly 3, Lil Temp, Paramilitary, Spin, Crossbill, Tenacious, Centofante, Caly Jr ZDP, Mule and others I'm probably forgetting.

It's still my favorite knife.

I look at pictures of the Yojimbos I used to own and think about how much I'd like another, then think of how much it would be a hassle to reach for something in my right pocket compared to when I wear the UKPK. The sprint run Manix looks nice, but all that extra heft and grip won't do anything that I use my EDC's for better, except the blade length coming into play when doing food work. I'd like a harpy but I don't care for tip down and the blade shape has its limits.

I've tried carrying another knife, one that's smaller, one that's bigger, one that's SE or one that's a radical blade shape like a hawkbill.

I still always reach for the UKPK regardless of what else I have on me.

Sometimes I feel like putting a traditional knife or a SAK in my pocket. Unless I want to turn some screws, open a beer or admire the pretty scales of my slipjoint, those never come out of my pocket.

I guess the UKPK is the knife for me.

EDIT: Just wanted to clarify that by calling the Manix and Yojimbo "Cool" I don't mean to downplay their usefulness. They just aren't more useful to me than the knife that works best for me. They each work very well for what they were designed for from what I can tell (Never used the yo for it's intended purpose).
:unicorn
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I hear you. For me, the Stretch fills that role. It may not be Spyderco's prettiest design, and is not "uber tactical" enough to appeal to the SD set, but it works for me. Maximum blade, packed in minimum handle, with enough belly to be a good slicer and enough straight edge to be a good parer. Good strong lock, a feature I'd much prefer to have and not need, than need and not have. Plus a clip that can easily removed, or positioned on any corner if I ever have a change of heart and become a convert to clipped carry.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
vivi

Post by vivi »

I really liked the Stretch but two things kept me from holding on to it. I like the curve that knives like the UKPK, Military and Para have. It makes cutting more comfortable for me. Also, the Stretch just had a bit more blade than I tend to need. Other than that the quality of the knife really impressed me.

The latter problem has me at odds with the BG42 Military. I feel it's too nice of a knife, especially with the tip-up mod, to sell or trade...but it's much bigger than I need in a knife. I'm sure I'll find a use for it someday...
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Vivi, let's face it, if one thing worked for everyone, then the selection of models, and probably even brands, would be really limited. But, between physical differences, actual needs, tastes, and external factors there's not much risk of that. :D

As an example, if I lose much more weight, my own choice may change to the Caly 3. The Stretch fit very nicely across the bottom of my back pocket when I wore size 48. As much as I love it, it's already a bit cramped now that I'm down to size 36. Not sure how well it will fit in anything smaller.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
spydutch

Post by spydutch »

The Deacon wrote: As much as I love it, it's already a bit cramped now that I'm down to size 36. Not sure how well it will fit in anything smaller.
Maybe I have the solution for that Paul ;) . My son often wears one of those scating pants with them real big back pockets. Im sure they are in size 36 or below as well :D :D. I think they will look great with one of your hawaian shirts ;) :D (just kidding Paul :) )

Vivi, the same with me. I always come back to one of my Delica's ;)
Arend(old school Spydie lover)

MEMBER OF THE INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE!!!

VERY PROUD OWNER OF A CALY III/SE #043 :D

....AND A FG(PARA) MILITARY/SE IN CPMD2(thanx Sal):cool:

...I would love to have one in full SpyderEdge:p
Killdozer

Post by Killdozer »

For me knives are like wines. I have my favorites but different meals call for different wines.

For example for a walk in the neighborhood trails I carry my Tasman Salt, so I can cut the base of those pesky vines trying to grow on all the trees. I don't think I have ever carried that one at work.

If I going to a downtown job site I carry something smaller, nothing bigger than a UKPN. If it is a hospital I break out the cricket or the spin.

That one guys post about "if spyderco's are so perfect why do you need so many" My response is "different wines for different meals".

If I am having a normal day at the office or not going out, then the "hot" knife tends to be the latest purchase, got to break it into the rotation.

The Para-Military tends to be a weekend favorite, all around favorite really, but it tends to get some looks at the office. Maybe the forest green version without a blacked out blade would catch less attentions... where did I put that credit card...

-Mat
dalefuller

Post by dalefuller »

I understand what you're saying. For me it's the Caly 3, at least for workdays. I usually take my Sage on weekends around town or one of my Paras for weekend "adventures".

I have 5 Sebenzas and 3 Striders (among others), but I carry and use Spydercos almost exclusively because they work... first time... every time.
Regards,
Dale

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went."
~ Will Rogers, 1879-1935
stonyman

Post by stonyman »

ViVi, it sounds like you have found a Spyderco that suits your needs. That is a great feeling, I am sure. There seems to be something in the lineup that fits most. Congrats! :D Now Deacon, congrats on you for going from 48 to 36. Bro that slight adjustment may allow you to carry more Spydys for a very long time. Take care all and God Bless! ;)
vivi

Post by vivi »

Killdozer wrote:For me knives are like wines. I have my favorites but different meals call for different wines.
I'm similar to an extant. If I'm going skating all day or doing something else where I'll sweat a lot, I'll carry a Byrd instead of a 150$ Spyderco. Eventually I'll get a Salt for this. Usually carry my Spin anytime I'm going to be around people that might be a little knife sensitive. My Military works great at slicing bread for peanut butter sandwiches. :)

I need to try a Sage. That looks like a knife I'd carry often.
MacTech

Post by MacTech »

Yes it's fun to mix up what Spydies you carry because you can, but if I had to limit myself to pure functionality, I'd go this route;

Weekday;
D4 Wave in RF pocket (general use workhorse)
Manix in LF pocket (general use workhorse, for heavy-duty tasks)
Dodo SE or Tasman SE in LR pocket (for scoring off labels off repair dispatch boxes, opening antistatic bags and Apple parts boxes, breaking down boxes and the like, point control is key in these tasks)
Vic Soldier deep in LF pocket with keys (Sheeple-freindly knife)

If I had to drop any from this lineup, the Soldier would drop, as I really don't care what sheeple think

Weekend;
D4 Wave in RF (too useful to not carry)
Manix in LF
Millie SE in RR (who cares what the sheeple think!)
Save the Dodo (Collect the whole set!)
Proud owner of 3 Blue Dodo's, SE#130, SE, and PE
Join the Cult Of H-1....
Spyharpy

Post by Spyharpy »

The UKPK was my EDC even though the Harpy is my top Spydie. The UKPK worked for every type of chore I could throw at it. Then the CF Caly 3 came out and that became my EDC. Pretty much the same knife but improved. Well, the Sage came along and it has dethroned the Caly 3 as my EDC. The Sage I have been carrying exclusively since its debut and to this day I can't see myself going back to the UKPK or Caly 3. For me, it's the perfect EDC. I also carry an orange Ladybug for those tiny jobs.

The Spydies that I carry the most in my EDC rotation are those that have the low rider clips. The more discreet carry the better. I bought a bunch of spare Caly 3 clips and have converted my Superhawk and T-Mag. They now sit much lower in my pant pocket, the way I like it.
flipe8

Post by flipe8 »

For me, it usually comes back to a Delica in one of its' many variations, the latest being the FFG version. As Deacon had already mentioned, it doesn't fill the uber-tactical gap as well as some others, but that isn't really a bad thing, in my mind. I'm going to give the Stretch another look, though, as I'm also of the "maximum blade packed into minimum handle" opinion.
Spyopera
SFKW sugilite Kiwi
CRK Small Sebenza 31
Far too many sold...:o

Trusting my own experience
ClockWork

Post by ClockWork »

Spyharpy wrote:The UKPN was my EDC
UKPN?

:p :p :p ;) ;) ;)
:) Favorites: Black Paramil w/ D2 blade, PE Mini-Manix, S90v Military, Civilian, SE Dodo, PE Police, Sage

Vist my eBay store: Life and Liberty Gear
Tactical & MOLLE gear, Headgear and more

stores.ebay.com/Life-and-Liberty-Gear
Spyharpy

Post by Spyharpy »

Oops! Should be UKPK (UK Pen Knife). Will fix my original post. Thanks for the catch.
ClockWork

Post by ClockWork »

Spyharpy wrote:Oops! Should be UKPK (UK Pen Knife). Will fix my original post. Thanks for the catch.
LOL... Im just poking fun... :p :p ;) ;)
:) Favorites: Black Paramil w/ D2 blade, PE Mini-Manix, S90v Military, Civilian, SE Dodo, PE Police, Sage

Vist my eBay store: Life and Liberty Gear
Tactical & MOLLE gear, Headgear and more

stores.ebay.com/Life-and-Liberty-Gear
A.P.F.

Post by A.P.F. »

I like the 'wine' analogy, as that is very much the way that I approach my knives. I tend to divide my time up between my Spydies and my Byrds, with my gold standard Spydie the BG-42 Millie. However, today my fav is my Catbyrd, so ya just never know.
Regards, Al

The "soul" of hi-tech materials like G-10, H1, ZDP, Titanium, carbon fiber, etc is found in the performance. That appreciation of the "spirit" comes out in time, after use. It's saying, you can depend on me! I'm there for you no matter what! - Sal Glesser
carrot

Post by carrot »

I'm curious, did you ever try the Caly3, or did you never see a need? I always *want* to carry my UKPK but when I think of the Caly3's ultra-smooth action I find it hard to.
Latest :spyder: -- Blurple Para2
vivi

Post by vivi »

carrot wrote:I'm curious, did you ever try the Caly3, or did you never see a need? I always *want* to carry my UKPK but when I think of the Caly3's ultra-smooth action I find it hard to.
I own one and I prefer the UKPK for the lighter weight, S30V and the better choil design. Also the pivot screw of the Caly 3 sticks out much more than the UKPK, which while minor and easy to ignore I prefer the UKPK in that respect.

The Caly 3 is very smooth the solid when locked, makes it feel like a bigger, more capable knife than the UKPK. The thinking behind the UKPK for me though is I don't need bigger and stronger. No lock means more convenience when closing for me. I've found I never used a lock for anything besides "just in case." I'd like the ZDP/CF Caly 3, but I'd prefer a ZDP/CF UKPK. For now though I think the FG UKPK is the ultimate pocket knife for me.

Also, I have one of the old black UKPK, which is supposed to be rougher in action than the green or orange. I polished up the contacts with high grit sandpaper and the action is much smoother now. You could try doing the same to yours.
Murdoc

Post by Murdoc »

Vivi wrote:Also, I have one of the old black UKPK, which is supposed to be rougher in action than the green or orange. I polished up the contacts with high grit sandpaper and the action is much smoother now. You could try doing the same to yours.
Yep, same here (while I personally used my Dremel instead of Sandpaper :) ).

This helps a lot, I would suggest that to anyone with rough opening/closing action on their UKPK's.

Dennis