At Last - the Lava

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
telemeister

At Last - the Lava

Post by telemeister »

This little beauty turned up today. An excellent LBK, with great ergos. The handle is well shaped, with a solid weight as well as good gripping positions. I like the way you can move your index finger to underneath the blade, or keep it one notch back. The shape of the blade greatly assists with the cutting strokes allowing you to scar the item being cut, and then pull the knife up and through. If you already own one of these knives, take a close look at how it cuts and the movement of your hand and the blade. Thanks Daywalker and Spyderco for coming up with yet another brilliant LBK.
[ATTACH]11095[/ATTACH]
Attachments
P6100001.JPG
P6100001.JPG (98.43 KiB) Viewed 3203 times
Top :spyder:s : Caly 3, Stretch, Millie, Manix 2, Police, Kopa, Polliwog, Meerkat, Chinook III, and SuperHawk.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Click the pic to see my :spyder:
amen74

Post by amen74 »

Hey telemeister. That's a little beauty! As much as I don't like to admit, the Lava has alluded me so far. I will own one soon though, that's a promise. Congrats on a wonderful Spydie. :)
Aaron

Current EDCs: Golden models
:spyder: FG D2 Military:cool: Orange UKPK:spyder:

NEXT: Rock Lobster, Manix2, TiMil
spydo

Post by spydo »

Sure is a beauty. I am surprised when people say its spyderco ugly. That is one knife that doesn't fit in that category. I wonder when we'll hear more news about g10 version. Can't wait to buy that one.
Avatar in support of my favorite designer! CLB rocks!!!!
ozspyder

Post by ozspyder »

Onya Telemeister !

Another Lava hits our shores :p One of my favourite blades it is ! For those who have not yet grabbed and used one I ask you: "Why the **** Not !!!" Go get one or more, you shall not regret it and that is the Daniel guarantee. I will offer a buyback scheme for those who do not like their Lavas ;)

More pictures Telemeister, let's see this one in rescue action :D
Cheers
Daniel (Certified Persian & Kopa nut)
Facebook profile: https://www.facebook.com/ozspyder
:spyder: I love my: Persians, Kopas, and Lums
:spyder: * Daniel's Spyderco Hoard *
:spyder: * Ozspyder's Kopa Kabana *
krazichinaman

Post by krazichinaman »

When I say this knife fits your hand like a glove...it really does! I was playing with one yesterday for the first time. I'm just not a SS type of guy though..... :rolleyes:
________
GANG BANG PUBLIC
________
LovelyMonique cam
Doc Pyres

Post by Doc Pyres »

Good pic and great knife, telemeister. I think a Lava will be my next purchase, next week. I was hesitating but you've pushed me over the edge. Thank you :)

Cheers,
Chris
Tank

Post by Tank »

Congrats telemeister. It truly is a great little "big" knive.
-John
whitefeather

Post by whitefeather »

I have had a Lava for several months now and finally tried to EDC only to find an annoyance that I had previously not heard expressed on this or other forums. The problem showed up when I was cutting shrink wrap from a pallet of merchandise and the shrink wrap kept getting caught up in the blade choil. I may be describing this incorrectly. I'm speaking of the small notch close to the heel of the blade (I assume to facilitate sharpening). Fortunately I had a Caly 3 with me so I switched knives and finished the day with the Caly. Has anyone else experienced this problem? Would it be possible to sharpen the choil to minimize the blade catching on the material being cut?

Congrats on the new Lava. Great ergonomics. Solid little knife.
jaislandboy

Post by jaislandboy »

whitefeather wrote:I have had a Lava for several months now and finally tried to EDC only to find an annoyance that I had previously not heard expressed on this or other forums. The problem showed up when I was cutting shrink wrap from a pallet of merchandise and the shrink wrap kept getting caught up in the blade choil. I may be describing this incorrectly. I'm speaking of the small notch close to the heel of the blade (I assume to facilitate sharpening). Fortunately I had a Caly 3 with me so I switched knives and finished the day with the Caly. Has anyone else experienced this problem? Would it be possible to sharpen the choil to minimize the blade catching on the material being cut?

yeah whitefeather, that "sharpening notch" I believe is there to facilitate sharpening the portion of the edge next to the tang/ricasso(?); I found out the same problem you described, but now i initiate cutting with the belly (midportion) of the Lava's blade with much better results ;)

congrats on the Lava telemeister :)
brian
"All paths lead back to the Spyderhole..."
FLYBYU44

Post by FLYBYU44 »

I had the same problem with mine, but like the above poster said, you can use the belly of the blade instead and it works good.
Those who choose to live a life without risks, arrive safely at death's door.
DAYWALKER

Post by DAYWALKER »

telemeister wrote:This little beauty turned up today. An excellent LBK, with great ergos. The handle is well shaped, with a solid weight as well as good gripping positions. I like the way you can move your index finger to underneath the blade, or keep it one notch back. The shape of the blade greatly assists with the cutting strokes allowing you to scar the item being cut, and then pull the knife up and through. If you already own one of these knives, take a close look at how it cuts and the movement of your hand and the blade. Thanks Daywalker and Spyderco for coming up with yet another brilliant LBK.
[ATTACH]11095[/ATTACH]
Aloha telemeister,

Mahalo much and keep us posted on how this one works out for you. ;)

God bless and thank YOU! :cool:
Proverbs 16:3...Commit YOUR works to the LORD, and YOUR plans WILL succeed!

"Where's the best little big knife not designed by Sal or Eric?" ~ thombrogan, WSM

Avatar by my KnifeBrother, DiAlex...C102 Adventura designer, 2005 Spyderco Forum Knife! ;)
DAYWALKER

Post by DAYWALKER »

whitefeather wrote:I have had a Lava for several months now and finally tried to EDC only to find an annoyance that I had previously not heard expressed on this or other forums. The problem showed up when I was cutting shrink wrap from a pallet of merchandise and the shrink wrap kept getting caught up in the blade choil. I may be describing this incorrectly. I'm speaking of the small notch close to the heel of the blade (I assume to facilitate sharpening). Fortunately I had a Caly 3 with me so I switched knives and finished the day with the Caly. Has anyone else experienced this problem? Would it be possible to sharpen the choil to minimize the blade catching on the material being cut?

Aloha whitefeather,

Whoops...sorry about that. It's called a Spanish Notch IIRC, and it is there to ease sharpening. :o My Knifebro Scott who owns a radioactive aardvark had the same "problem". :o

Hopefully, you can "work around it" during your work.

God bless and mahalo!
Proverbs 16:3...Commit YOUR works to the LORD, and YOUR plans WILL succeed!

"Where's the best little big knife not designed by Sal or Eric?" ~ thombrogan, WSM

Avatar by my KnifeBrother, DiAlex...C102 Adventura designer, 2005 Spyderco Forum Knife! ;)
whitefeather

telemeister and Chad

Post by whitefeather »

telemeister

First things first, sorry about the hi-jack. I agree with you on all the compliments of the Lava in your original post and am sure you will get many enjoyable years of use out of this little tank.

Chad

Thanks for the clarification ie: "spanish notch" I'm going to carry the Lava again today in honor of your reply and all the other great attributes of this little beauty. BTW I'm waiting on the edge of my credit card for the rumored Lava 2. It will definitely join the rest of my 60 some spydies.