back from blade

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
butch

back from blade

Post by butch »

man what a blast

walked all over and saw so many makers that i wanted to talk to i thought my head might blow up from info

then made way over to the spyder booth wow

taz looked at me and said butch, like butch butch on the forum
me yep

taz be right back got something for you
and bang out of the back she came with a hat and pin for myself and my knife buddy deker

quick things learned
if all your pictures have you in a hat you ll have to put on a hat (to make sure its really you :) )

2nd thing protos are not the only no photo subjects at the booth (lovely young lady's of spyderco are camera shy)

then got to talk to sal a bit and show off a folder i had busted out the few days before. was asked to stop back and talk to ed schempp

day 3 i got to talk to eric and then got called to dinner (still had not seen ed )

well got done with dinner and low and behold bumped into ed and chatted a bit (man knows so much about steel its crazy)
sooo much more was going on but i cant get it all out of my brain right now so a few pictures will have to do

oo and taz i ll be calling peter tomorrow as i was cleaning up email and shipping today :) (maybe soon i can change my sig line )
Lloyd R Harner III (Butch)
a step forward
working my way to a licence to drill
http://www.harnerknives.com
GeorgeMaggos

Cool Thread!

Post by GeorgeMaggos »

Hey Butch,

sounds like you had a great time thanks for sharing it with us here :spyder: .

Sweet folder you got there thanks for the pics maybe you can tell us a little more about that knife in the pics like the specs, the size(s), the blade, the handles, the bolsters, the materials, the steel, etc :) Is it going to be a new model?

~George
[CENTER]
~~~~~~~~~~
"The test of courage comes when we are in the minority.
The test of tolerance comes when we are in the majority. "[/CENTER]

[CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]

[CENTER]Even though you can't see Him, GOD has always been there for you <><[/CENTER]
Th232

Post by Th232 »

butch wrote: oo and taz i ll be calling peter tomorrow as i was cleaning up email and shipping today :)
I think I have a fair inkling of which Peter this is... :D

And as GMaggos said, that folder looks great. Very interesting way of doing the bolsters, I like it!
Will

"No one wants to look the fool. Everyone does the best they can. If they knew better, they'd do better" - old woman on the railway tracks to Sal.

The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Butch, I agree with GMaggos. Can you tell us more about that knife? Joe
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
butch

Post by butch »

its just a little thing :)
its the up sized but still thin of one i had done a folder or 2 ago. the shape was one i loved and just ran with it. phil wilson gave me the steel to play with and i used all i could

the steel is cpm125v :)
blade is 3.75 long and about 1/8 thick
open its 9.75 long and closed its 5.5
the Ti frame lock is also 1/8 on both sides with stabilized buckeye burl scale over lay the the bolsters were multi color anodized Ti to contrast on the bright blue frame.

i ll be rebending a clip and readjusting the lock bar face as i should have had one more day to get it all together but the blade show was calling and i wanted to have something to show
a step forward
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Butch, when you get a chance please compare grinding and finishing the steel to others you've used. You are no strangers to the heavy hitters like 10V, bit I'd like to hear about it from a pro. I did talk to Phil wilson about it but he kind of makes things sound easy.

How high did you keep the RC?

BTW, that's a beautiful knife. For me a dream knife.

Man, I bet there are folks that would give you about 10 nib OS spydies for that one. :D Your choice even Joe
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
buglerbilly

Post by buglerbilly »

Butch that is a beautiful knife, exceptionally so.......simply stunning mate! ;)

Regards,

BRIAN
mr_bsii

Saw the knife...

Post by mr_bsii »

...and she's mighty fine. That was some very impressive work/finish. The pivot was very smooth as well. I noticed that the liner needed a little tweakin', but the size, shape and fit of other stuff was awesome. On a side note, it was a pleasure to meet you, and it took a second for my brain to reconcile what my eyes were telling it with my subconsciously preconceived image of you. The knives/quality that you make caused me picture you as a grizzled old, knife-making vet rather than the young, knife-making buck that you appear to be.

Great work.

bs
butch

Post by butch »

its ok i felt like a punk kid walking around all the master smiths and guys that ive only be able to read about in print or on a forum

was like a kid in a candy store and i just didn't know what i wanted to look at next
so far as the folder i had a few things to clean up and so far i think i ll be making myself another blade for it soon (not sure about maybe M4 or some 410 SS/cpm10 laminate)
a step forward
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

Butch,

Dude that knife is sweet. That looks beautiful. I like how above the hole is kind of squared off or flat. Kick butt job.

Thanks for the info about blade too. ;)
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
butch

Post by butch »

the grinding
well im not sure i didnt think it bad but then i ground it 99% before hardening (something i learned on 10v and M4)
even soft it sucks to work tho and as i said to taz adn sal "now i know why the s125v knives are not out yet"
so far as hardness according to my heat treat and the data sheet its about 61 hardness but as of yet i have not been to the tool and die shop to have it tested

i was abusing it last night and found the edge chipped out a hair on me where i side loaded the blade prying rivets out of plastic (uncalled for i know)

all my test knives get beat on so i know what to expect from them and when a knife comes back i can be 90% sure by the markings and damage what had to be done to make them come back for fixing
a step forward
jaislandboy

Post by jaislandboy »

nice folder there butch :cool:
brian
"All paths lead back to the Spyderhole..."