Kiwimania

A place for you to post your pictures of Spyderco knives. Read Announcement before posting!
Th232

Post by Th232 »

Wow, that mammoth tooth Kiwi is outstanding!
Will

"No one wants to look the fool. Everyone does the best they can. If they knew better, they'd do better" - old woman on the railway tracks to Sal.

edrose

Post by edrose »

The Deacon,
This is the most spectacular photo thread of all times... :eek: ;)
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Th232 wrote:Wow, that mammoth tooth Kiwi is outstanding!
Will, if you thought that one was a beaut, this one may totally blow your mind, picked it up from the Santa Fe booth at Blade...

[CENTER]Image

Image[/CENTER]

...also was going to buy this neat little knife stand from them, but when I went to pay for it, they insisted I take it as a gift. :)

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]

It's a prototype for an idea Bill's daughter Anna has for a stand with two ellipses like this joined together to hold a themed group of Kiwis. Used the way she intends, the slots need to be repositioned a bit so the knives are properly spaced when faced "edge in". I plan to wall mount it with the straight edge of the base at the top, so the current orientation of the knives is fine.

I also picked up five different scale materials from as many different vendors. That will allow me to pester Bill a few more times and add still more posts to this thread. :D My only problem now is deciding which one to do first. :o
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
ozspyder

Post by ozspyder »

Oh My Goodness Paul !

Your Kiwimania temptations are really making me drool over my keyboard. The scales on that one is spectacular ! what is it ?

I love that knife stand as well. It reminds me of a very elegant interpretation of some silly wine bottle holders that we sometimes find out here. Mounted the way you suggest would make the Kiwis really stand out. Get a few of those stands on your walls and it'll look a bit like the medieval castle of yore, with weapon walls etc.

Please, dare I ask for more photos of the 5 Kiwis you herded on the day :D
Cheers
Daniel (Certified Persian & Kopa nut)
Facebook profile: https://www.facebook.com/ozspyder
:spyder: I love my: Persians, Kopas, and Lums
:spyder: * Daniel's Spyderco Hoard *
:spyder: * Ozspyder's Kopa Kabana *
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

Those are some specatacular new additions Paul, congrats! I also really like that stand, I could use something like that for my Kopas.

Wouter
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-28-2024 Instagram
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

nice new kiwi Paul, i like the horseshoe stand too. like Dan said you could get a few more (well more like 10 or so :p :p) for the rest of the flock or get a woodworker to make a large display for all of them, and don't forget to leave room for at least another 40 or so :D .

edit...is that purple heart wood? it is a nice contrast to the base.
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
amen74

Post by amen74 »

Deacon. Your collection is no less than amazing. Thanks for sharing. :D
Aaron

Current EDCs: Golden models
:spyder: FG D2 Military:cool: Orange UKPK:spyder:

NEXT: Rock Lobster, Manix2, TiMil
jaislandboy

Post by jaislandboy »

congrats on the new Kiwi treats Paul, that Kiwi stand is very :cool:
I'll guess the wood to be bocote :confused:
looks like an updated "group Kiwi" shot is in order, looks like setting that up could take you an entire weekend though :p
brian
"All paths lead back to the Spyderhole..."
Th232

Post by Th232 »

The Deacon wrote:Will, if you thought that one was a beaut, this one may totally blow your mind, picked it up from the Santa Fe booth at Blade...
*Clunk*

*Scrapes jaw off desk*

Well, now that you've got both red and blue mammoth tooth, are you planning on a plain white one any time soon? ;)

The Deacon wrote:...also was going to buy this neat little knife stand from them, but when I went to pay for it, they insisted I take it as a gift. :)

It's a prototype for an idea Bill's daughter Anna has for a stand with two ellipses like this joined together to hold a themed group of Kiwis. Used the way she intends, the slots need to be repositioned a bit so the knives are properly spaced when faced "edge in". I plan to wall mount it with the straight edge of the base at the top, so the current orientation of the knives is fine.

I also picked up five different scale materials from as many different vendors. That will allow me to pester Bill a few more times and add still more posts to this thread. :D My only problem now is deciding which one to do first. :o
Quite an interesting design for a stand, I imagine it'd look very good on the wall as well! This business about them just giving you the stand sounds fishy though, was it just because you're a (very) valued customer, or perhaps they just gave it to you because they knew you'd be back for more? That stand isn't going to hold all your Kiwis... :p
Will

"No one wants to look the fool. Everyone does the best they can. If they knew better, they'd do better" - old woman on the railway tracks to Sal.

Fairlane

Post by Fairlane »

A couple of really nice additions, there, Paul!

Really nice! Especially the earthlings :)
The Deacon

Wooden Eagle

Post by The Deacon »

Found this waiting on the doorstep when I got home this evening. Another example of just how talented Santa Fe Stoneworks marquetry guys are. Detail on this one borders on incredible.

[CENTER]Image

[/CENTER]

Like the Earthling, this design was originally done on the Police. Quite a dfference in size...

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
Paul
ozspyder

Post by ozspyder »

Paul,

Congratulations on yet another magnificent piece of artistry and skill from the guys at SFSW. Their work, if I am not mistaken, seems to be getting better and better with each iteration in their collection.

I am really impressed by the amoun of detail they are able to work out of the materials they use. The detail around the wings is really well executed.

A few more months and I think it is time for another family shot :D considering the amount you have acquired over the last few weeks :p
Cheers
Daniel (Certified Persian & Kopa nut)
Facebook profile: https://www.facebook.com/ozspyder
:spyder: I love my: Persians, Kopas, and Lums
:spyder: * Daniel's Spyderco Hoard *
:spyder: * Ozspyder's Kopa Kabana *
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

datan wrote:Paul,

Congratulations on yet another magnificent piece of artistry and skill from the guys at SFSW. Their work, if I am not mistaken, seems to be getting better and better with each iteration in their collection.

I am really impressed by the amoun of detail they are able to work out of the materials they use. The detail around the wings is really well executed.

A few more months and I think it is time for another family shot :D considering the amount you have acquired over the last few weeks :p
Thanks Daniel, plan to take one next weekend. Figure the CF one I ordered last night from NGK will be here before then. :D
Paul
mrappraisit

Post by mrappraisit »

Deacon - the marquetry spydies are awesome. I totally agree with you on the level of talent SFSW employ for marquetry. I have seen some (marquetry) in galleries that wasn't as tight and detailed, for many hundreds of dollars, and it isn't even attached to a sweet knife! :D
Love the Kiwi pic's. I NEED to get one!! :D
After enlightenment, the laundry.
amen74

Post by amen74 »

Awesome new Kiwi Paul! Love that eagle. I'm still admiring my lone Jigged Bone Kiwi.

When you take the next Kiwi family photo I'll have to change my screensaver, so please make sure it's a good one! Thanks for the pics. :D
Aaron

Current EDCs: Golden models
:spyder: FG D2 Military:cool: Orange UKPK:spyder:

NEXT: Rock Lobster, Manix2, TiMil
RIOT

Post by RIOT »

i like your collection of kiwis deacon! no one can touch you on that specific category you own it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The Deacon

Almost forgot this one...

Post by The Deacon »

Saw this one on eBay a couple weeks back. Almost just clicked past it, even though the BIN price was good, because I already had a turquoise one. Then I noticed it did not have the bug inlay. :D Got sidetracked by some plumbing issues in the apartment last weekend and totally forgot to take its picture. :o

[CENTER]Image

Image[/CENTER]

Really nice looking stone on this one.
Paul
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

That's a very fine looking Kiwi, good pic too!

Wouter
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-28-2024 Instagram
Fairlane

Post by Fairlane »

Nice one, Paul!

I actually think it looks quite a lot better without the bug.
rlw1979777

Post by rlw1979777 »

Im glad you like it Paul.
I have a small collection.. At least in my mind its small. All respect to Sal and this great company! Collector Club Member #120