Kopa Clip ?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Veegun

Kopa Clip ?

Post by Veegun »

Is it safe to take it off the knife and bend the tip inwards a bit so it doesn't stick out so much?

It's not chrome plated is it?

Drives me nuts.
amen74

Post by amen74 »

I actually like the clip on my new Kopa. As for it being chrome plated, I can't tell if it is or not.

I love this little Spydie! :D
Aaron

Current EDCs: Golden models
:spyder: FG D2 Military:cool: Orange UKPK:spyder:

NEXT: Rock Lobster, Manix2, TiMil
RIOT

Post by RIOT »

i dont own a kopa but for some reason the look of the clip makes me want one. the knife looks like its well thought out.

is there a problem with your clip ?
Veegun

Post by Veegun »

The very tip sticks out too far IMO.
RIOT

Post by RIOT »

Veegun wrote:The very tip sticks out too far IMO.

too far where ? any pics ?
amen74

Post by amen74 »

Veegun. I took another look at mine. I can see what you are talking about now. Seems like it could snag on something if we're not careful with them. I'm going to take extra care. What handles do you have on yours. Mine is Turquoise.
Aaron

Current EDCs: Golden models
:spyder: FG D2 Military:cool: Orange UKPK:spyder:

NEXT: Rock Lobster, Manix2, TiMil
ozspyder

Post by ozspyder »

I LOVE my Kopas :D

I don't find the clip intrusive at all unless you are pocketing it. Then you can do what Paul (The Deacon) has done with his.

I usually clip mine to my shirt pocket and it seems to be fine there. On occasion I'll drop it into my pants pockets to mingle around with pocket lint. Haven't had any troubles with snagging on this paperclip style clip. I think it is one of the more elegant clips on a knife to be honest.

I think you should be able to bend it without damaging it.... not sure though about its composition and whether it is plated. I would've thought it was full S/S.
Cheers
Daniel (Certified Persian & Kopa nut)
Facebook profile: https://www.facebook.com/ozspyder
:spyder: I love my: Persians, Kopas, and Lums
:spyder: * Daniel's Spyderco Hoard *
:spyder: * Ozspyder's Kopa Kabana *
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I've removed a couple permanently, but have also taken one to file some of the annoying lumps off the outside edges. No, they are not chrome plated, just shiny steel, so no worrys there. As for the rest, it all depends on your skill with tools.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Veegun

Post by Veegun »

Mine is a Jigged Bone so the lumps are causing the clip tip to stick up too far IMO.
ozspyder

Post by ozspyder »

Hmmm, curious one this. The clip should sit any prouder or shallower on the Jiggy one than on any of the other ones. My Jigged Bone Kopa clip doesn't seem to be any different to the others. I think if you have a problem with your Kopa clip then either:
a) you'll have a problem with all the Kopa clips, or
b) the Kopa you have has a defective clip

Sorry, the photo of my Jigged Bone version is not so good. But it attempts to show no difference in the clip structure to the others. I'll have to take a closer look tonight after work.
Cheers
Veegun

Post by Veegun »

I think the other inlays are much flatter then the Jigged.

AND I BROKE THE **** CLIP TRYING TO BEND IT A BIT!!!! :mad:
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

datan wrote:Hmmm, curious one this. The clip should sit any prouder or shallower on the Jiggy one than on any of the other ones. My Jigged Bone Kopa clip doesn't seem to be any different to the others.
Dan, I think Veegun is correct. It's really more a case that the jigged bone scales are thicker, especially toward the midpoint where the clip lands, than any of the others. The scales bulge a bit, so there's more tension from the clip. Then too, the jigging may provide better traction than the smooth polished surfaces of the other versions.

Veegun wrote:I think the other inlays are much flatter then the Jigged.

AND I BROKE THE **** CLIP TRYING TO BEND IT A BIT!!!! :mad:
Hence my disclaimer. ;)
Paul
ozspyder

Post by ozspyder »

Interesting :) I didn't notice the jigged bone to be any different as I was handling it separately from my other Kopas. I'll have a look later to observe this. I am currently only EDCing my Kopa BMP and thus have no clip issues cos the micarta is fairly gentle on everything.

Sorry your clip bending Veegun, but I suppose that partially solves your clip problem :p Maybe now you can take a leaf out of Paul's book and let it ride clipless deep in the pocket. Bolster will scratch regardless of being clipped or pocketed.
Cheers
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Dan, that would depend. I could show you a dozen Santa Fe Kiwis, one that's been carried 100+ times, ten that have been carried somewhat less than that, and one that has never seen the inside of a pocket, and defy you to "find the virgin". Santa Fe mirror polishes their bolsters and, in theory at least, mirror polished bolsters should show damage even more readily than brushed. My only "trick" is they ride in a pocket where nothing else ever goes. So I could argue that leaving part of the bolster exposed while carrying clipped increases the chances of damage as does the increased tendency to "multitask" the pocket the knife is riding in. Not to mention the greater chance of one of those :eek: "OH S#!T" :eek: moments when the clip snags on something and the knife jumps out of your pocket.
Paul
ozspyder

Post by ozspyder »

ROFL Paul,

Yes mirror polishing certainly does tend to attract that sort of attention. Mine are almost always clipped, sometimes they go freestyling in my pocket. Most days my pockets have various things in it. I've gotten past the stage where my EDC Kopa has to stay minty fresh. I've had a few OH S#!T moments which you have mentioned. Mainly from my S/S Rotring pen which sits next to the Kopa flicking it out in my haste when signing cheques etc.

I think that I should maybe get a S/S Kiwi or S/S Kopa to see if I can get those scratched up to buggery !

Back to Kopa clips then...... I still think where clips are concerned the Kopa ones do look quite nice :D
Cheers
Veegun

Post by Veegun »

The clip looks like pot metal from the inside.
mrappraisit

Post by mrappraisit »

Bummer about your clip Veegun. That is surprising given the cost of the knife. I don't have a Kopa but I always assumed they were stamped sheet SS.
After enlightenment, the laundry.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

datan wrote: Bolster will scratch regardless of being clipped or pocketed.
Once I scratched bolsters on my Kopa badly, it was so bad that I felt sorry for my knife. That I spend about 2 minutes with 1000 grit sandpaper and knife looks good and happy again.
Regarding the clip.
We need one clipless Kopa. (few would be Ok as well). Jigged Bone is almost perfect.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

mrappraisit wrote:Bummer about your clip Veegun. That is surprising given the cost of the knife. I don't have a Kopa but I always assumed they were stamped sheet SS.
Definitely stainless steel, and I think they may be either laser or water jet cut and then bent, rather than stamp cut. But, however they are formed they are most certainly not pot metal since it is not the least bit springy, and clips have to be.
Paul
ryan28801

Post by ryan28801 »

When the clip on my chinese folder caught and snapped on the doorframe as I was leaving the house, the folks at spyderco were happy to replace it, although it apparently took some digging to find one. Call 'em up!