post some info about your ancestors

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
dete

post some info about your ancestors

Post by dete »

historical detail about how they lived or whatever would be great!

I was surprised to find this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tachibana_ ... samurai%29

so my ancestor was a Count who's ancestor was a Samurai.
Grandma always mentioned that someone along the line had lost the castle to gambling.... what a wager it must have been!
:(
Shike

Post by Shike »

My father and his family were from Northern Spain. They call themselves the Spanish Celts (Gallegos). They wore kilts and play the Gaitas or bagpipes. Some migrated to Cuba. My mother's side is very interesting. Her mother's family was from Spain also, but my grandfather's family were American Indians (Mexican territory at the time). Some of them were renegades (mostly Apaches) and were sent to the Seminole reservations in Florida. Time passed and some returned to land given to them by the US gov. in Kansas. Those that stayed intermarried with the Seminoles and Muskogga. The Muskogga were a mix of Muskogee Indians (Seminoles, Creek, Chickasaw, Choctaw and to some extend if I remember correctly part of the Cherokee and runaway Black slaves). Indians were hired as scouts and to track runaway slaves, but seems that instead of becoming enemies they formed an alliance and waged war against the US government. Anyway some of these fled the Florida penninsula and ended up in the Andros Island and some went to the town were I was born in Cuba. My mother had told me all she knew, but many years later I communicated with a man who wrote the script for the movie The Buffalo Soldiers and he sent me the whole history. My grandfather was one of those Indians. There is a beach in Florida with the family last name. Vilano Beach (the Vilano is a bird of prey down in Mexico).
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Shike, that's a cool story. I'm kind of a history buff and some of the stuff I knew, some is new to me, and very interesting. When it's your turn make sure you pass the familys history on to the younger generations.

Treasure the elders in the family and find out as much as you can. I did that with my grandparents and the other older generation whenever possible. I always found their lives and experiences fascinating, even when I was a kid. I sure miss them now. Joe
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Both sides of the family came through Ellis Island in the early 20th century. 1910 to 1915.

My fathers side. Grandfather from a part of poland that's now Lithuania. His wife was a chech living with her family in Pennsylvania. My grandfather, and her father were coal miners near Scranton PA. She was only 13 when they married, he was in his late 20's. He died from Black lung ( anthracitosis they called it on the death certificate). I never got to get to know him as an adult. She lived to her 80's.

I do know he departed poland after a bit of trouble. I won't get into that here though.

My mothers side. Sicilian, him from a town about an hours drive west of Messina. Her family was a different town. My great granparents came here and ended up in cleveland, living near the "bloody corner" on mayfield road. One great uncle had to leave town when the Lonardo brothers were killed, and the Cleveland branch of the LCN changed hands. My grandfather also moved to the country closer to akron and bought over a hundred acres but not untill after he got in a bit of trouble also.

My parents met at college in chicago with my father coming back to Ohio to live when he married my mother.

That makes me second generation american. Looks and temper I got from the sicilian side, my stubbornness and lack of flamboyance and musical talent come from the slavic side. No one older than my generation with the exception of my father and an aunt on my mothers side is alive from either side

I was fortunate enough to have my grandparents on my mothers side live well into my adulthood so I got to know them very well as people. I consider that a blessing.They both made it well into their 90's.

The generations before mine were a different breed from the generations now. True peasants from the old country that earned everything they ever got. They came here with literally what we would consider pocket money and did pretty well I think. Joe
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
dete

Post by dete »

wow thanks for sharing guys,

very interesting,
I dunno, I just find history as very fascinating.
:)
Shike

Post by Shike »

Hi Joe! Thanks!I think it is pretty cool also. I have the book that this gentleman sent me as it describes a lot of the intricacies of the whole conflict. Both my kids seem pretty interested in their heritage, so that is good.
When you were describing that your grandfather was from Poland and your grandma fron Chekoslovakia and living in PA I knew it had to be in that area. There are a lot of eastern European people there, Scranton, Shimokin, Mount Carmel. Have a few friends from that area. The most fun weddings are the Polish and Italian weddings. They make you feel like you are part of the family. Real people you know. Folks that had to work really hard for every penny. God Bless them!
Best regards

Shike
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

My wife can trace her family tree back to the 1,400...her ancestor was the ship's physician on the Santa Maria, with Christabal Colonge, (Christopher Columbus) on the famed voyage to discover the new world across the sea. Myself, I'm from the tribe of Levi, and my ancestors can be traced back to Moses....(not the Charlton Heston variety) LOL.....Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
Shike

Post by Shike »

Dr. Snubnose wrote:My wife can trace her family tree back to the 1,400...her ancestor was the ship's physician on the Santa Maria, with Christabal Colonge, (Christopher Columbus) on the famed voyage to discover the new world across the sea.
That is remarkable. But come on man give us the juicy stuff :D . How did she find out all of this. I find it fascinating!
Shike
Agent Starling

Post by Agent Starling »

Think Southern Europe... :rolleyes:

...as in birthplace of Western Civilization...

One of my ancestors from my father's side from the 1800s was a warrior, and is in the history books of that country for being a revolutionary war hero... :D

My father always told me, and still does to this day, "Spartans always carry a knife..."

"You are a warrior, Clarice..." ;)

Although I am all one nationality, one-fourth of my family had lived in Asia Minor for centuries, probably since Alexander the Great's time, and later emigrated further west...

Agent Starling :cool:
"Too many was too many, but way too many was just right."
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

my story is pretty simple. my dad came over on a boat from Italy when he was 18 and didn't speak any English. At 21 he went back and married my mom, she used to vacation in the little town my dad was from during the summer (she was the big city girl from Rome :) ) and brought her back over here. for awhile i thought i was an OOPPS baby because my sisters are 6 and 8 years older but i found out that my dad was gunning for a boy so here i am. up until 2 years ago i was the last one with my surname until i had my little boy, now all the pressure is on him to keep the name going. :D
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
buglerbilly

Post by buglerbilly »

My Father met my Mother in the immediate post-WW2 era in Germany.

He was in the British MP's and she was one of the first six Federal German Policewomen.........three years later I popped along, the only one.

My Father was half English and Half Scots. His Father came from Glasgow in Bonny Scotland during the 1920's to work in the Shipyards in North East England, as so many Irish and Scots did, one reason why my home town had equal numbers of Catholic and Protestant schools. Ironicly enough there were never any religious difficulties during my upbringing.....unlike Northern Ireland at the same time.

My Grandfather was a Master Shipwirght especially on wooden ships and they were still, in the 1920's and 1930's, making wooden Trawlers and what is called Yorkshire Cobles, see image below...........

This is basically a copy of a Viking Longboat with a squared stern, a **** of a sea-boat, well suited to the often turbulent sea off the coast of the UK.

My Scottish Great-grandfather was alive initially when they arrived in NE England - he spoke exactly 12 words of English, his normal tongue being Gaelic.

My Mother's family all came from Prussia, what became East Germany until Unification. My German Grand-parents along with my Aunts and Mum were chased out of their home town due to the Soviet Forces wanting billets. The German population was ill-treated as has been well documented and I make no further comment about that.

Whilst trying to walk their way West, both of my Aunts got shot albeit not too seriously, but both carried the gunshot wounds to their dying days. My Uncle, being 15 at the time and well over 6 foot tall, was put on a POW train to be taken to the East as Slave Labour. Luckily for him he was befriended by a Polish Professor who took a liking to the tall young man.

The Professor, whoever he was, obviously had planned for the fact he might be removed to Russia for being part of the Bourgois Intelligentsia in Poland in that he'd memorised the geography of Eastern Europe. They both jumped the Prison Train somewhere in the Ukraine I believe and then spent the better part of 12-18 MONTHS working their way back to the West.

To my Grandparents great delight, my Uncle was reunited with them nearly 2-2 1/2 years after he'd been taken.

Me? Oh I've travelled and lived all over the place but now happily call Australia (and occasionally New Zealand) home but that's another story!!! ;)

Regards,

BRIAN
dete

Post by dete »

thank you for contributing ya'all!!!

each one of you all is very interesting!
and I know it's just one small thing about your lineage.

good stuff good stuff (nods)
AllenETreat

I'd rather be treated than trotted...

Post by AllenETreat »

Here's one of mine...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Treat

http://www.cslib.org/gov/treatr.htm

Robert M. Treat was the first governor of Milford ( Ct ) and
founder and settler of Newark, N.J.

AET
All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night, in the dusty recesses of their minds, awake in the day to find that it was vanity. But the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes to make it reality.

T.E. Lawrence
OuchThatsSharp

Post by OuchThatsSharp »

Both of my parents' ancestors originated in Scotland. My Mother's side from the Highlands and my Father's side from the Lowlands.
It's better to have knife and not need it than to need a knife and not have it.
[SIGPIC]http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s145 ... opelli.jpg[/SIGPIC]