Blues & Jazz

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
aj1985

Blues & Jazz

Post by aj1985 »

Hey guys how are yah

My music library has gotten a bit stale as of late and wanted to ask if any individuals here would be able to recommend any Blues or JAZZ Singers or specific songs.

I know of only a few and wanted to see if anyone out there had any good recommendations.

thanks and take care
aj
Live in every breath

INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE
Andyjd

Post by Andyjd »

Have a look listen to Wilko Johnson http://www.wilkojohnson.org.uk/sites/ not sure if its your type of thing, but a very talented artist.
Shopping list: Tenacious CE, D'allara
EnRoute: :(
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

johnny lee hooker...boogie chillen, house rent blues
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
Andyjd

Post by Andyjd »

Howlin' Wolf....red rooster, smokestack lightnin
Shike

Post by Shike »

I can recommend an Introduction to Robert Johnson from Proper Records. Blues guitar at it's best.
Andyjd

Post by Andyjd »

Albert Collins - Brick
Jonny Winter - See See Baby
Cream - Crossroads
Freedie King - Going down
gt_mule

Post by gt_mule »

Muddy Waters - "Live" (w/ Johnny Winter)

B.B. King - "Live at the Regal"

John Lee Hooker - "Alone", "Hooker and Heat"

Rahsaan Roland Kirk - "The Man Who Cried Fire"

Mahavishnu Orchestra - "Apocalypse"

That ought to get you started. ;)
MAT888

Post by MAT888 »

Albert Collins, Johnny Copeland and Robert Cray- showdown

Allman Brothers - Eat a Peach, Life at Filmore East

Muddy Waters Johnny Winter and James Cotton - Breakin it up Breaking it down

John Lee Hooker; - Best of Friends

Joe Bonamassa - Had to cry today

Passport - Cross Collatoral

The Butterfield Bluesband - Live 2004

Sonny Landreth - South of 1-10

Johnny Winter - Second Winter

Matty Norlin - Kitchen Sink Blues

Van Morrison - It's to late to stop now

Albert King - The lost session 72

Ian Siegal - Meat & Potatoes

Stevie Ray Vaughan - Life at Carnegie Hall

Scott McKeon - Can't take no more

Eric Clapton's Crossroads Guitarfestival 2007
Maarten
member of FFG Club
gandalfe

Post by gandalfe »

I recomend some "Professor Longhair."Great New Orleans piano music with a creole flavor.James Booker for more of the same.Roy Bookbinder is one of my favorite acoustic blues artists.
Spygineer

Post by Spygineer »

Just throwing this out there (certainly not typical blues, but the elements are there).

Check out Southern Louisiana bluesman Joe Richardson & Recoil. The album is called "Subhuman". Check out the single "Prey". Headphones requied.
I'm Hooked like a hawkbilll!!!:D
telemeister

Post by telemeister »

Mat888 is spot on with the Albert Collins, Robert Cray and Johnny Copeland album - Showdown. The Iceman was an incredible blues guitarist.

There is also a box set album by Eric Clapton called 'Crossroads 2: Live in the Seventies', its just brilliant and, in my humble opinion, is a showcase of Slowhand at his best (and really shows why he got his nick name). For some grittier stuff check out From the Cradle - some great work.

Any of the older B.B. King, John Lee Hooker, or Albert King is also going to be awesome.

If you haven't already got it, you absolutely have to get the Beano, the real title is "John Mayall and the Bluesbreakers featuring Eric Clapton". (Clapton is on the front cover reading a copy of the comic book 'The Beano' - hence the name). The other one to get is John Mayall's Bluesbreakers - A Hard Road. This was the first album released after Clapton left to form Cream. The replacement guitarist was Peter Green, who is one of the greatest blues guitarists of all time. After A Hard Road, he formed Fleetwood Mac with Mick Feetwood and John McVie - a box set of 'Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac' was released called "The Complete Blue Horizon Sessions", which has some of Green's greatest work, including "Black Magic Woman". There are also some Bootlegs floating around. B.B. King once said of Peter Green 'he was the only one who could give me cold sweats.'

The British Blues Explosion produced some really cool stuff, and there are strong links between guitarists like Jeff Beck, Clapton, Peter Green, Jimmy Page, and Gary Moore ("Still got the Blues" was pretty cool too, although probably not as bluesy as it could be). Anything by the Yardbirds is also going to be pretty good (the guitarists were Clapton, Beck and Page)

For something completely different, you could try to see if you can find an album called 'The Starfleet Project' by Brian May and Friends. This is a mini-album wih Eddie Van Halen and is interesting because both May and Van Halen produce probably the two most recognisable sounds, and they are rock guitarists. The songs 'Let Me Out' and 'Bluesbreaker' are basically May and Van Halen jamming, it was a very interesting exercise.

Okay.....time to take a deep breath!! Wow, I had forgotten how cool some of the blues stuff really is. Sorry to say I don't know a great deal about Jazz.

Hope this helps - let us know what you end up with.
Top :spyder:s : Caly 3, Stretch, Millie, Manix 2, Police, Kopa, Polliwog, Meerkat, Chinook III, and SuperHawk.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Click the pic to see my :spyder:
silverback

Post by silverback »

You have to check out Popa Chubby, he's one of the best contemporary bluesmen. :)
Few people think more than two or three times a year; I have made an international reputation for myself by thinking once or twice a week. -George Bernard Shaw

Go is a pursuit of such value that one can devote a lifetime to it and have nothing to regret. Why not, then, challenge the limit of your powers. -Toshiro Kageyama 7-Dan
CombatGrappler

Post by CombatGrappler »

Shike wrote:I can recommend an Introduction to Robert Johnson from Proper Records. Blues guitar at it's best.
I'll second this one. I have a 2 CD set that has all of Johnson's recordings on it. It is just him and his guitar, but it is pretty amazing. The liner notes have a little story by Eric Clapton about the first time he heard Robert Johnson sing and play. He said, "ok, I hear Johnson, but who is that other guy?" There was no other guy...Johnson's playing was so good that ERIC CLAPTON thought he was hearing two guitarists. Impressive, wot?

Most of the recommendations have been blues...jazz seems to be an acquired taste. Coltrane is pretty good for jazz.
gac

Post by gac »

I'll give a second on Sonny Landreth. I've got two of his albums and enjoy them both. I like Elmore James as well who played bottleneck slide guitar. I found a couple CDs of his stuff and enjoy it.

I've always enjoyed Oscar Peterson's stuff. Peterson died a few months ago and was a great piano player.

Most of my music is on the computer at work and I have a heck of a time remembering what I have on there.
aj1985

Post by aj1985 »

thanks for all the advice guys it's much appreciated.

Jazz and blues is an acquired taste, but it's surprising that the more one progresses in life the more he/she begins to likes things that are very different.

B.B king's THE THRILL IS GONE is one of my favorite's songs of all time and it really represents to me what the blues are all about. Coltrane is basically the king. Both are all time greats thats for sure.

thanks again guys I'll be sure to find these songs and give em a listen.
Now I really want to get a record player and see if there is a store around here in Toronto that sells records. :cool:

take care
aj
Live in every breath

INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE
jaislandboy

Post by jaislandboy »

great recommendations in this thread; maybe not "classic blues" but bluesy rock is why I like Hendrix, Slowhand, and Stevie Ray Vaughn :cool:
I tried listening to some John Coltrane, Miles Davis, even some Mahavishnu Orchestra many years ago, but I don't think that I had "acquired" the taste for this kind of music back then; perhaps my brain might bemore receptive to it today :rolleyes:
telemeister: another thumbs up for Peter Green and the John Mayall & Bluesbreakers "Beano" album ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22eubaCU ... re=related
brian
"All paths lead back to the Spyderhole..."
WOTANSON1

Post by WOTANSON1 »

I'm a purist when it comes to the blues, so I want the real thing. Check out;

Little Walter- any compilation album on Chess Records
Muddy Waters- Folk Singer CD
John Lee Hooker- Sings and Plays the Blues CD
Big Momma Thornton- With the Muddy Waters Band CD
Blind Lemon Jefferson- Any

There are so many more, but the above is a good start.

For Jazz

John Coltrane- Soultrane CD
Miles Davis- Relaxing with the Miles Davis Quartet CD
Charlie Parker- Live at Birdland CD

So many many more when ya get tired of those.

Cheers,
Rob
International Order of the SpyderEdge-founding member

Faith, Folk and Family

If you can read this, thank a Teacher.
If this is written in English, thank a US Soldier

NOT my "president"

Proud Member of SOSAK
MAT888

Post by MAT888 »

I saw Miles Davis perform on North Sea Jazz in The Hague back in the days a couple of times;

Next to traditional Bebop Jazz he changed his style to more Jazzrock like in the early seventies starting with the album Bitches Brew.

His classic jazz album i like the most is Kind of Blue

Next to that his 'rock" i like ; Man with the Horn, You're under Arrest, Tutu and i think his last one i recall Doo Boop.

On the Clapton's Crossroads Guitar festival 2007
there are great performances by Derek Trucks (guitarist also played with allman brothers) ,Jeff Beck amazes, Los Lobos suprized me, Buddy Guy Sonny Landreth John Mayall, great set by Clapton with Steve winwood. A lot of big names i recommand this 9cd box set highly.

;)
Maarten
member of FFG Club
Shike

Post by Shike »

If you want a taste of something different and enjoy the guitar, check out some recordings by Baden Powell. One of Brazilian Jazz and Bossa Nova greatest guitar player. Enjoy!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSUNbvb-DWg
telemeister

Post by telemeister »

Shike wrote:I can recommend an Introduction to Robert Johnson from Proper Records. Blues guitar at it's best.
There are some brilliant covers of Robert Johnson's works too. Both Peter Green and Eric Clapton did awesome versions of Crossroad Blues (the EC version, not the Cream version - which is still pretty cool)
Top :spyder:s : Caly 3, Stretch, Millie, Manix 2, Police, Kopa, Polliwog, Meerkat, Chinook III, and SuperHawk.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Click the pic to see my :spyder: