question on the yin/yang knives

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
tonydahose

question on the yin/yang knives

Post by tonydahose »

i was thinking about adding the plain edge one (i don't know if that is the yin or the yang :p ). the problem i have is that all my spyderco knives have black handles and i want this one to match. What type of wood is the handle made out of? does it accept a stain easily? is it stabilized (can you even stain stabilized wood?) what stain does spyderco use or do they use an ebony type wood? would i treat the handle with a shellac or poly coat after? what is food safe? well you get the point ...sorry for so many questions...but thanks for answering any of them.
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
The CoPilot

Post by The CoPilot »

The Yang (PE) has a handle of stabilized birch. Since it is already stabilized, I'd think it would be tough to stain it after the fact. However, I'll admit that I'm no expert on stabilized wood products.... :rolleyes:
><> The most important blood trail leads to the Cross <><
C09 CoPilots My Specialty
Integrity is Being Good Even if No One is WatchingTM
Looking for: C04 Executive plain edge, C09 CoPilot plain edge with brass liners and a G-2 marked blade
ozspyder

Post by ozspyder »

Great questions Tony,
and ones I was also going to ask as I thought of 'upgrading' my wife's taste in knives. After getting her the Shun Santoku she has used it almost exclusively. As I sat there pondering the Spyderco kitchen offerings I also made a note that there are only 2 kitchen knives currently on offer to the general consumer. We need more kitchen knives (most acceptable use of blades by NKP :p )

So, I too would like to know from users of the Yin/ Yang duo. How are they holding up, and what sort of maintenance would you need for them. Dishwasher safe ?

Spank you in advance.
Cheers
Daniel (Certified Persian & Kopa nut)
Facebook profile: https://www.facebook.com/ozspyder
:spyder: I love my: Persians, Kopas, and Lums
:spyder: * Daniel's Spyderco Hoard *
:spyder: * Ozspyder's Kopa Kabana *
jaislandboy

Post by jaislandboy »

i'd think it'd be difficult to stain a stabilized wood handle but these guys might know for sure ;)
http://www.stabilizedwood.com/main.shtml
brian
"All paths lead back to the Spyderhole..."
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

datan wrote:Dishwasher safe ?

Spank you in advance.
one thing i know is dishwasher is a big no-no Dan for good knives.
My knives
ozspyder

Post by ozspyder »

Hehehe yeah I know Tony,

But NKP's and non-afi's think of them ONLY as tools and not fine pieces of engineering or art.

I hate dishwashers for knives as delamination and rusting/ pitting can occur.

Now, if only we can get some H1 goodness in the kitchen :D
Cheers
Daniel (Certified Persian & Kopa nut)
Facebook profile: https://www.facebook.com/ozspyder
:spyder: I love my: Persians, Kopas, and Lums
:spyder: * Daniel's Spyderco Hoard *
:spyder: * Ozspyder's Kopa Kabana *
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

datan wrote:Hehehe yeah I know Tony,

But NKP's and non-afi's think of them ONLY as tools and not fine pieces of engineering or art.

I hate dishwashers for knives as delamination and rusting/ pitting can occur.

Now, if only we can get some H1 goodness in the kitchen :D
soon the aqua salt...that is getting sent in for a full flat grind and then she will be good to go. :D
My knives
Blackhair

Post by Blackhair »

I have the Yin/Yang set, and they are awesome pieces of engineering! That VG-10 gets dang sharp! :D

Together, they can handle pretty much anything I throw at them. The only real instances where I find myself wishing for different knives are:
1. Paring. They're a little too big for those delicate jobs
2. Carving. They're a little too small for hacking apart a turkey. :p
and 3. Chopping. I'm talking about hack-through-a-whole-potato-and-then-add-a-gigantic-pile-of-carrots-
and-just-dice-it-all-into-easily-manageable-bite-sizes-pieces style chopping. :D

So, not everything you need in the kitchen, but then, you couldn't really expect that with only two knives. :rolleyes:

...but, for two knives totaling $100, you will consider them well worth your money. :cool:
Tony and Dan, I strongly urge you to pick up a Yin/Yang set. :cool:

After getting her the Shun Santoku...
Me... Want... Shun... :( :p

soon the aqua salt...that is getting sent in for a full flat grind and then she will be good to go.
Tony, I thought H1 couldn't be Flat-Ground? :confused:
Back from an extended hiatus.
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

Blackhair wrote:
Me... Want... Shun... :( :p

Tony, I thought H1 couldn't be Flat-Ground? :confused:
get a spydie santoku..they are still out and about, you just need to know where to look ;) and H1 cant be ground down in big numbers according to Sal (i forgot the exact reason) but Mr Krein said he can do it.
My knives
Spyderwings

Post by Spyderwings »

Blackhair wrote: Tony, I thought H1 couldn't be Flat-Ground? :confused:
From what I understand, it is not practical to flat grind H1 as a production knife. A flat grind is done one side at a time, and with H1 as a work hardening steel, the blade would warp. Hollow ground works better because they can grind both sides at the same time (I believe). Someone like Tom Krein can flat grind H1 though; it just takes a bit of time so as to not over do one side.
- Jason Dalsgaard
Current Spyders > C81GPBK Para-Military > C14SBK Rescue 93mm > C11P Delica 4 > FB05P Temperance > C29S Cricket > C14OR Full Sized Rescue > C90CF Stretch II > C12SBK Matriarch (VG-10)
Bolster

Yangfan

Post by Bolster »

I'm a Yangfan, own maybe 4 of them or so, given away several as gifts, etc. The Yang is my most used Spydie. Like the OP I wish it had a nice ebony handle like the Yin, but I can live with the handle for the vastly superior cutting ability it gives.

Only problem is, my parents and inlaws keep cutting themselves on their gift Spydies. They aren't quite certain how to handle a sharp kitchen knife I guess.

The VG-10 really outlasts my Henckels kitchen knives, puts them to shame.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
kimjune01

Post by kimjune01 »

I recommend the Fallkniven K2 White Whale Santoku
http://www.zknives.com/knives/kitchen/ktknv/fknww.shtml
It's cheaper than the Shun and has a thin grind with high hardness. Heat treating from Fallkniven is solid. :D Plus, you don't get a full-length VG-10 blade for a lower price(If you know of some, PM me. I'd like to know)
and no, don't put your knives in the dishwasher. It is likely to ruin the heat-treat of VG-10 stainless :o and that's a no-no.
Blackhair

Post by Blackhair »

Bolstermanic wrote:Only problem is, my parents and inlaws keep cutting themselves on their gift Spydies. They aren't quite certain how to handle a sharp kitchen knife I guess.
When I first got my Kitchen Spydies, I cut myself a couple of times as well. An entire lifetime of using dull kitchen knives really throws off your feel for the cut. The first time I cut myself on my kitchen knives was because I wasn't prepared for how effortlessly my Paring Knife sliced through an apple (and right into my thumb :eek :) .
Back from an extended hiatus.
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

ok so bottom line is the handles are stabilized so i am SOL...only thing i can do is put new handles on it....as far as the shuns i like the new alton brown ones with the handle at an angle to the blade so your hands dont hit the board...cool idea IMO.
My knives