balisong as MBC tool

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
mr. v

balisong as MBC tool

Post by mr. v »

Hi, Mr. Janich--

In a couple of your recent posts you've mentioned carrying a balisong. I'm curious about why that was your tool of choice, and/or your take on the pros and cons of this style of knife for personal protection (other than legality-of-carry issues).

I know you get a lot of questions regarding particular makes & models of knives & their MBC characteristics. . .perhaps a sort of 'MBC Suitability Profile' of specific knives could be the topic of one or more of your upcoming MBC Instructional Columns?

Hope you had a good SHOT Show,

Vince
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear Mr. V:

Thanks for the question.

In my opinion, the balisong is the ideal blend of elegant simplicity and foolproof function. Made properly, the lock is extremely strong and will probably best even the most advanced mechanical locks. The shallow handles are easy to clean and, because they completely envelop the blade, allow for the safe pocket carry of double-edged blades or blades with sharpened false edges (only in areas where such things are legal, of course).

The variety of one-handed openings available with a good balisong make it very versatile and as a fist load, it also works extremely well. Before you ask... Yes, if I could carry one now, I would. The only thing I'd add would be a pocket clip.

As for MBC knife criteria, I'll take your suggestion and make that the subject of the next MBC column, which will follow in a few days.

Stay safe,

mike j
Ramon

Post by Ramon »

Hi Mr. Janich,

I've used the balisong mainly for utility purposes. My main concern, if it's to be used in a fighting, is grip retention since it has no guard (aside from the ones with the eagle wings on the tang). How do you retain your grip for thrusts? The only method I know is putting your pinkie on the butt end to anchor your hand (in the hammer position) or use your thumb (in the ice pick position).

Another question: what suggestions do you have on the fastest opening technique possible without sacrificing grip retention in a fight? I'm a beginner in manipulating the balisong and the one only opening I use which seems to offer the best retention is the double outward loop, single inner loop to hammer position (I don't know what the proper term for this technique is).

I hope Mr. Glesser pushes through with the Spyderco balisong - the pocket clip would definitely be a big plus

Thank you for your MBC instructional columns - nowhere else can I find a top-flight martial artist offering advice so generously.

Best Regards,
Ramon
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear Ramon:

Thanks for your post.

The trick to holding on to a knife during thrusting is not a guard, but a proper grip. The one I prefer (as well as generations of Filipino and Japanese bladesmen) is what I call a Filipino grip. It focuses the gripping force on the last three (middle, ring, and pinky) fingers of the hand, anchoring the handle to the meaty portion of the palm and allowing the wrist to remain at a strong angle. Done properly, it will easily support full-power thrusts.

As for combat openings, I prefer single flip movements in both standard and reverse grip. With these, there are no multiple turns or complicated manipulations, just simple single flips. This keeps them fast and positive -- just what you need in a fight.

Although a Spyderco balisong is still in the works, while we're waiting, Benchmade has a new balisong with a three-inch blade and a pocket clip. It is very similar to their old Model 68 (and Model 10) and very nicely made.

I'm glad you enjoy the MBC columns and appreciate your kind words. The next one will address defensive knife selection and will be posted within the next few days.

Stay safe,

mike j
gunandtackle

Post by gunandtackle »

for more ways to manipulate or open a bali check out clays sitehttp://www.balisongxtreme.com/baliplanet2/main.htm
and have fun flippin

john
mschwoeb

Post by mschwoeb »

There is also an entire forum devoted to it over at Bladeforums.com
A good person to look for in there is Gollnick, has a very good and large site devoted to Balisongs: http://www.balisongcollector.com
BRAM

Post by BRAM »

In some ways a Balisong just might be the grand-daddy of MBC. Its able to do many things from impact to cutting..It can move through the force continuum with hesitation..
As Mike said in Combative or self defense flow its simplicty..even to the point of not being fully open..that the handles open and without grasping the other side, the force of cutting or striking is what holds the blade or handle in position, that without the opponent, or taken out of context the balisong position looks like the middle of an opening..

Balisongs are cool and Mike can really wing one, use one and tell you a great deal of the usage of them.
Unfortunately the public and society in general seem to think that a unique opener ( a Balisong) is somehow more dangerous than a regular folder or fixed blade..
Ok so its sheeple stupidity..based on false image & misinformation.
Because they viloate laws and regulations in many places and are specifically named as illegal..( not the knifes fault by the way!)
it would be pointless to market it as MBC..
even if it is qualified by design and intent..
The Spyderco Balisong will be a collectors piece not an MBC...as far as I know..
Politics decides this issue not reality!
I know its unforunate.
And I personally would love to see Mike teach MBC-Balisong stuff..it would be a real hoot..he's really good @ the Balisong...
Did Mike mention he's got a tape on how to use the Balisong?

oh well
that was the inspirtation for the Gunting by the way..the conceptual usage of a Balisong.
the ability to flow within combat from closed to open to closed again.

Bram

Edited by - BRAM on 2/19/2002 9:09:53 AM