Just How Rust Resistant Do You Find Vg10?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
MANIXWORLD

Just How Rust Resistant Do You Find Vg10?

Post by MANIXWORLD »

I have to honestly say that VG10 is one of the best allround bladesteels at a affordable price on the market today.
Getting back to the topic,ive actualy had zero corrosion problems with this steel sofar.
even after saltwater exposure with minimal maintenance after, and usage of VG10 blades to cut lemons,no rust problems,ive found.
VG10 does tend to get stained otherwise with small grey looking spots,which doesn't look like rust,but it usualy gets wiped away easily with a soft cloth and a little metal polish,but i have never noticed any brown rust spotting as such on my VG10 blades,even some of my much older VG10 blade Spydies,nothing.
I feel that VG10 is second to H1,with NO corrosion issues,whatsoever,but not exactly equal to H1 WRT corrosion resistance.
foggy

Post by foggy »

I seem to recall a few small dark spots on an vg10 impala after a hunting trip, but they wiped off easily.
The sharper they are the less they hurt when you cut yourself. :spyder:
Axlis

Post by Axlis »

I've had some surface rust after not missing some spots when rinsing off, but nothing serious. Wiped right off, left no pitting at all. I love vg-10. :)
steve andrews

Post by steve andrews »

My VG-10 folders have remained completely rust free, but my Yang kitchen knife rusts like crazy.
If I wash it in the sink and put it to one side without drying it, brown rust spots develop in just a few hours.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

steve andrews wrote:My VG-10 folders have remained completely rust free, but my Yang kitchen knife rusts like crazy.
If I wash it in the sink and put it to one side without drying it, brown rust spots develop in just a few hours.
That's interesting...I've left my Yang lying around with water on it, and no rust spots have occurred. Wonder what would cause the difference?
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
MANIXWORLD

Post by MANIXWORLD »

Bolstermanic wrote:That's interesting...I've left my Yang lying around with water on it, and no rust spots have occurred. Wonder what would cause the difference?
High concentration chloride in tapwater-leading to corrosion?maybe..
jmp

Post by jmp »

steve andrews wrote:My VG-10 folders have remained completely rust free, but my Yang kitchen knife rusts like crazy.
In case you do not wish to return the yang for an exchange:

If that's surface-layer only (say from sawing+grinding immediately after a run of non-stainless steel *), did you try to go over the surface with say a king 1000 waterstone for a bit to remove just a bit of the top layer (or dull the edge and use a felt wheel on the sides with due care)?

Would this stop the rust?

* even so, this would still be a QS issue, so returning it is probably the better way to deal with it [after maybe taking a peek in a small area of the surface :) ]

cu
Peter
steve andrews

Post by steve andrews »

I don't feel that I need to return the knife. I just dry it after washing.
LowTEC

Post by LowTEC »

my Yang also rust a little :o
LBK3S|C52BK|C106PYL|745|943|C08CFS|C52m|C36GPBK|C10GPFG|1003UBK2|14210|C123CFP|C81FG
C28WH|1600DAM|C105|RC4S|C51GPFG|1735OR|830675|C90CF|C123TIP|CS97KMS|BRKT-CS|BRKT-MC
BRKT-LC3V|C101XHP
SimpleIsGood229

Post by SimpleIsGood229 »

In my experience, VG-10 develops a bit of a patina, but doesn't rust easily at all. A friend's Endura 4 developed some light rust spots from not being touched for a few months (somewhere in his home).

Overall, VG-10 is one of my very favorite blade alloys. :)
God Bless Texas!
[RIGHT]Avatar courtesy of Dialex[/RIGHT]
Μολὼν λαβέ

2009 - Birth of the H-1 Spyderhawk! Thank you, Sal!
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

I've not had VG-10 rust ever on any of my knives. Not even get spots or anything. I used a Native III outside a TON last year doing outside work around the house and it got sweat on it quite a bit. Never rusted.

Actually I think that all of the steels that Spyderco uses have been like this. I don't have problems with rust on any Spyderco blade.
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
jasonp

Post by jasonp »

the only exception i've heard is ATS55,that's why spyderco switched from ATS55 to VG10
Manix Guy 2

Ok

Post by Manix Guy 2 »

I work where testing is done for on steels in environmental chambers very high tech . If you would like I can test and send back any steel you are curious about with specs . MG2
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Manix Guy 2 wrote:I work where testing is done for on steels in environmental chambers very high tech . If you would like I can test and send back any steel you are curious about with specs . MG2
That would be cool--independent testing using your chambers at work. I'd be really interested to hear the results of that.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
zenheretic

Post by zenheretic »

jasonp wrote:the only exception i've heard is ATS55,that's why spyderco switched from ATS55 to VG10
Not exactly;
sal wrote:Hitachi developed ATS-55 and offered it to us on an exclusive basis. Their claim was that it was equal to their own ATS-34. We tested ATS-55 at the same time we tested VG-10.

The ATS-55 was introduced on the Goddard lite weight, the VG-10 was tested on the Moran. After several years of testing, we decided the VG-10 was closer to our requirements and we adopted the VG-10 and dropped the ATS-55. It was hardly a bargain steel and significantly outperformed AUS-8 in all but corrosion resistance.
The above was quoted by sal in another forum that I will not link to as it is in response to a troll. It is slightly out of context, but does contain the important elements of ATS-55 and VG-10, that is they were near simultaneously introduced but VG-10 won out overall.
Follow the mushin, but pay it no heed.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Only VG-10 knife I've ever managed to induce rust on was the canvas micarta Stretch that STR built for me. His opinion was that the combination of titanium liners, phosphor bronze washers, steel blade, when coupled with my habit of using the knife for food prep, rinsing it off, shaking it dry, and sticking it back in my pocket, may have contributed to that. During the rebuilt to Lignum Vitae, he changed the washers to plastic. Have been using it about a year now, with no signs of the rust returning, so electrolyis may very well have been the culprit.

Have had cases of both the grey spots and of a multi-color discoloration that reminds me of color case hardening. But have had the same on other steels as well, especially on knives I use in the kitchen. I chalk the grey spots up to hard water leaving mineral deposits. The other is definitely a chemical or electro-chemical reaction. Both are harmless, in the sense that a blade so discolored can be left a year with no maintenance and the grey spots or colors will not get any bigger, darker, or feel rough to the touch the way rust or any other form of corrosion would.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
dalefuller

Post by dalefuller »

I've had no corrosion or spotting issues at all on any of my VG10 blades... even the D3 that went to the ocean with me and was submerged several times that week to see how it would hold up.

I had put Militec on the blade before the trip and I rinsed the knife in fresh water each evening. More Militec when I got home after a week at the beach. No issues at all.
Regards,
Dale

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went."
~ Will Rogers, 1879-1935
RIOT

Post by RIOT »

ive never had one spyderco rust on me in the last 16 years not even a hint of rust and majority of all my knives ive used vigorously
bladese97

Post by bladese97 »

:spyder: :spyder: :cool: :spyder: :spyder: I had one surface rust issue with my D'allara/CE, but caefully removed it using a buffing wheel at work :eek: Ya...Wasn't very smart, but I did it, and it didn't hurt the Blade, or the Spyderbug(where the rust spots were) :eek: :D
:spyder: :spyder: :cool: :spyder: :spyder: "Spyderco...does a pocket good":spyder:
Spyderco Rocks!!!! "A wise man once said all knives were created equal...Obviously, he meant Spydercos''
As of 1-29-08, I am a proud member of Knife Rights!
colintkoh

Re: Just How Rust Resistant Do You Find Vg10?

Post by colintkoh »

I am a kayaking instructor and I recently replaced my knife with a Spyderco Assist Lightweight. My area of operations is equatorial seawater. My normal procedure is to thoroughly rinse all my gear in freshwater and hang to dry. I find the serrated edge very sharp and I like the lack of a sharp tip.

I note the comments on Spyderco's VG-10 steel and how it does not rust, but rather just shows some staining. Unfortunately, my experience is not in line with these comments.

I am thinking HARD about an H-1 steel knife. But I'm not sure after the reassuring comments about VG-10.

I attach some photos hoping I can get some advice.

Thanks,

Colin.
Attachments
VG10 Rust 03.jpg
VG10 Rust 02.jpg
VG10 rust 01.jpg