What's your sharpest spydie?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Mjølnir

Post by Mjølnir »

An "out of the box" Police model, with a Spyderedge, in GIN-1, bought in 1996.

At the time, Spyderco knives were not seen regularly around base...everyone wanted to "examine" the blade...you know, by running their thumb over it. A total of 6 people cut themselves badly in 2 days.
bladese97

Post by bladese97 »

flyguy wrote:Stretch II for me... Though I think the my micro Dyad has the sharpest point.

Which SpyderEdge is the sharpest? I have mostly plain edge...
:spyder: :spyder: :cool: :spyder: :spyder: For me, it's a tie/toss between my Para, and my SS&Ti- ATR :D W :eek: W
:spyder: :spyder: :cool: :spyder: :spyder: "Spyderco...does a pocket good":spyder:
Spyderco Rocks!!!! "A wise man once said all knives were created equal...Obviously, he meant Spydercos''
As of 1-29-08, I am a proud member of Knife Rights!
Axlis

Post by Axlis »

Absolute sharpest is my NIB Caly jr in ZDP, scary scary SCARY sharp!

Sharpest users are my Cento IV and Caly III, both are pocket lightsabers that are always up to the challenge.

Due to unexcusable laziness my Yojimbo is dull right now. But when coaxed, Mr. Yo will take a VERY mean edge.

Post by 224477 »

Yoji, Calypso, Calypso Jr., ZDP stuff then.
"Having a dull knife is like having a stupid friend."
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

catamount wrote:I'd guess the K10 Kosher Butching knife:

According to kosher law, it has to be sharp enough to cut off a chicken's head without it feeling anything :eek:
Who is interviewing the chickens after beheading, to see if they felt anything?
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
philthygeezer

Post by philthygeezer »

I'd go with the Bill Moran drop point. Vegetables tremble in fear.
LowTEC

Post by LowTEC »

Bolstermanic wrote:Who is interviewing the chickens after beheading, to see if they felt anything?
maybe the chicken keeps walking straight normally for a few more seconds after beheaded :p
LBK3S|C52BK|C106PYL|745|943|C08CFS|C52m|C36GPBK|C10GPFG|1003UBK2|14210|C123CFP|C81FG
C28WH|1600DAM|C105|RC4S|C51GPFG|1735OR|830675|C90CF|C123TIP|CS97KMS|BRKT-CS|BRKT-MC
BRKT-LC3V|C101XHP
jasonp

Post by jasonp »

LowTEC wrote:maybe the chicken keeps walking straight normally for a few more seconds after beheaded :p
good point
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

catamount wrote:
According to kosher law, it has to be sharp enough to cut off a chicken's head without it feeling anything :eek:
Bolstermanic wrote:Who is interviewing the chickens after beheading, to see if they felt anything?
the have a specially trained beak reader standing by to see if the chicken says "ouch" after its head comes off.
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
Kaizen

Post by Kaizen »

Sharpest out of the box: Either my CF//ZDP Caly 3 or a ZDP Calypso I used to have.

Sharpest I've gotten a Spydie: I've been able to make the following push cut newspaper, cut freehanging thread, freehanging hair & split a hair in 4:
CF/ZDP Caly 3
VG-10 Endura Wave 4
S30V Paramilitary

I don't really have a good way to measure sharpness at these levels. But from slicing paper, either the VG-10 or the ZDP Caly 3 seem to be the sharpest based on how smooth it seem to go through the paper. I'm pretty sure I can sharpen knives sharper than out of the box, but I've been told that my sharpened Endura Wave wasn't even close to a Krein regrind. Not sure how they were compared. I'd love to try one.
Also "Kaizen1" on BF, "ignoramus" on CPF & EDCF. "kaizenrei" on KF, "Kaizen" on USN.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Good to hear from you, Axlis - it's been a while. You still cuttin' with your Rescue 79mm?

- best wishes, Jazz.
dialex

Post by dialex »

All my spydies are shaving sharp. I guess the sharpest would be the VG-10 Calypso jr. but I'm not 100% sure.
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.
cdf

Post by cdf »

My Millie . The sharpest I have ever seen was my buddies ZDP Caly III . My T Mag isnt too shabby either !

Chris
Harry White

Post by Harry White »

Burgundy Jess Horn w/laminated ZDP -- the knife that very nearly sliced my entire thumb off (I still have almost no feeling in my left thumb and an ugly scar, and will for life). That knife taught me the meaning of sharp.

Second would be the gray Calypso Jr. in VG-10.
Users: SS Police PE, Delica 4 PE, Kopa Cocobolo, Blue Dodo SE, Yellow Pacific Salt PE, Micarta SPOT SE, Gray Calypso Jr, Temperance SE, Burgandy Jess Horn w/ZDP, UK Penknife, BB Delica 3 PE, Captain, CF Military w/BG-42, Lava, Caly3 SE, Para-Military SE, Manix CE, BB Para-Military SE, Delica 4 Wave, Ocelot CE, SpyderFly, Navigator II SE, Vagabond, D'Allara Drop Point CE, Black Assist I, Bug Set (and also: Sharpmaker, SS byrd Finch PE, Profile Set, byrd Firebyrd, Large Spyderpac, byrd Wings)
MountainManJim

Post by MountainManJim »

Carried my Crow yesterday and its sharpness reminded me of this thread. The Crow wins as the sharpest followed closely by the Calypso Jr (AUS-8). The AUS-8 and 8Cr13MoV seem to get to a sharpness level that some of the higher carbon content steel have difficulty reaching.

Jim
I Like Sharp Things

Current Favorite: Caly 3.5, Super Blue. We're done here. It doesn't get better than the Caly 3.5
TR Graham

Post by TR Graham »

I would have said my Police Model, until I got my new Captain. The whole blade is one big (and very, very sharp) edge. Thing cuts like a straight razor......

TR Graham
The Glocksmith
MacTech

Post by MacTech »

In order of sharpness, Monomolecular-sharp first;

Karambit (factory)
Pacific Salt (self-sharpened)
D4 Wave (self sharpened)
Manix FG sprint (factory with stropping on cardboard)
Mini-Persian (factory)

the Karambit just scares me it's so sharp....
Save the Dodo (Collect the whole set!)
Proud owner of 3 Blue Dodo's, SE#130, SE, and PE
Join the Cult Of H-1....
vivi

Post by vivi »

My new BG42 Military will whittle hairs and push cut through a loaf of bread after a little stropping.
:unicorn
Vicarious Reality

Post by Vicarious Reality »

Oddly enough, my g10 Cara Cara :confused:
Dem tings be mine:
PE blue Yojimbo ~ PE blue Dodo ~ ZDP PE Delica ~ s30v Native ~ Military ~ Aus Dragonfly ~ Endura4 ~ Yellow Salt 1 ~ Yellow Pacific Salt ~ 3 byrds and a lot of Cold Steel, Benchmade, Glock, Mora, KA-BAR, Kanetsune, SOG, CRKT, Schrade and misc. crap.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Spyharpy

Post by Spyharpy »

I've got lots of Spydercos in various grade steels. I sharpen all of them on the Sharpmaker to the sharpest edge. I test the edge by resting it on my thumb and moving it downward sideways with barely any pressure to feel how much it starts to grab the skin. Of all the Spydies I have, the Military BG-42 is the sharpest. Testing further on various types of paper, the BG-42 cuts the best with the least effort.