Does spyderco have the plan to go with the Integral Lock£¿

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
golem

Does spyderco have the plan to go with the Integral Lock£¿

Post by golem »

No doubt it is a very very stong lock and I love its simple design. Does spyderco have the plan to switch to this lock? especially for some of those knives with stong blades. Maybe some people will say that the chinook's backlock is as strong as a bank vault. But how about the lum tanto folder? I think such stong blade deserves a stonger lock than that thin linear.
mschwoeb

Post by mschwoeb »

I would get one if they did that. That was the one reason that I sold my Ti Tanto Lum
golem

Post by golem »

And that's the only reason make me can't decide whether to get a new VG-10 one.
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

Hi guys,

Sal has stated that Spyderco will never do a Chris Reeve style integral linerlock, unless it was a custom collaboration with Chris Reeve.

IMO the integral compression locks coming on the Ti Salsa and ATR are a technical step above the integral linerlock design.

Edited by - Carlos on 2/5/2002 4:55:56 PM
mschwoeb

Post by mschwoeb »

Hey, I would take that if I could get it.
scolby

Post by scolby »

Carlos, not to be too picky, but I am confused by your reference to a "liner" in the Integral Lock.

As quoted from the CRK website:

"...My first impressions of the liner lock style locking mechanisms were very favorable but when I examined it more closely, I decided that I didn't much like the flimsiness of the thin liner. After some thought, I redesigned the concept and have created the Sebenza Integral Lock© which I believe to be the most rugged folding knife on the market."

I don't have a compression lock Spydie (waiting for the Mini Mil/Mil Jr.). How is this a "step above" the Integral Lock?

"Chance favors the prepared mind" - Louis Pasteur
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

The CRK is fundamentally still a "linerlock" in terms of how it functions, though there is no separate liner and the lock lever is part of the handle scale -- thus "integral."

AG Russel's "one hand knife" is another axample of an integral lock, in that case an integral frontlock. Again the lock lever is integral to the handle.

The integral compression lock is again simply a compression lock that is integral to the handle scale. I've attached a picture.

Most would agree that the compression lock is superior to a linerlock in terms of the inherent strength of the design, and its reliability, and this would also apply to the integral forms.

Thickness of a lock can vary from implementation to implemenation. My comment was about the relative merits of the fundamental designs.

Again, this is just my opinion and I am no authority on lock engineering -- just a knifeknut. Certainly you should judge for yourself. And this shouldn't be taken as anti-CRK -- I'd like to acquire a CRK Mnandi.

Edited by - Carlos on 2/6/2002 11:57:51 AM
golem

Post by golem »

Just a little off topic.
Carlos, I saw the pic you attached and I find that the lock is integrated at the back of the handle. Aren't we using more strength on the back of the handle than the front? So, won't this design increase the possibility to unlock the knife accidently when doing some hard cutting?
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

On all integral lock desigs your hand is in constant contact with the lock lever. Because of this some (most?) are vulnerble to being disengaged if the knife is twisted in a tight grip. I've heard of this with BM Pinnacles at least.

Perhaps Sal will comment. I still don't have one of these in my hand yet.

For the benefit of the discussion, here is a pic of the ATR:

Edited by - Carlos on 2/6/2002 2:11:11 PM
golem

Post by golem »

The integral compression lock looks strong. I think it will be a good idea if they can put it onto the lum tanto. As what I said at the very beginning, strong blade deserves a stong lock.
pyrguy

Post by pyrguy »

On the CRK stlye lock the part that does the locking is about 1 1/2 to 2 inches long. On the spyderco style it is about 1/4 inch long. Which is easier to bend, all other things being equal? The longer piece, right?

That is where the Spyderco lock picks up it's extra strength. The lock bar end would almost have to sheer while being compressed to fail.

All the measurements depend on the knife in your hand. But I think you get the idea.

Sal, did I get it right?

There's a fine line between "it's a hobby" and mental illness.
golem

Post by golem »

Just want you to mention the different thickness of the two different locks.

Edited by - golem on 2/10/2002 12:12:01 AM
sal

Post by sal »

Generally, the lock does in fact shear when defeat occurs.

sal

Edited by - sal on 2/15/2002 5:05:21 PM