Do you use and abuse your Kopa or..

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Veegun

Do you use and abuse your Kopa or..

Post by Veegun »

does it just sit there and look pretty?

Is the term Beausage familiar to anyone here?
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Most of my Kopas (one of each) just sit there and look pretty, but Cocobolo is a user. I carry it at work and dress up occasions. I do not abuse it, I cut plastic bags, mail, but somehow I managed to scratch bolsters badly. I need to fix it. Also I am planning to buy second Jigged bone for EDC.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Veegun

Post by Veegun »

I would think that the bone version would look could all scratched up from real world use.

I want one but can't decide which version.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Mostly mine just sit, not because I'd be afraid to carry them, but because the clip is nearly impossible to remove neatly. I do sometimes carry a Cocobolo one that Steve (STR) ground down the bolster right front bolster to eliminate the "pothole" left when the clip is removed. I don't baby it, but I don't abuse it, or any of my other pocket knives either.

As for scratching bone, in my opinion, the steel bolsters would show scratches long before the bone would. I tried sanding the color out of a red bone Kiwi once with no success.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Veegun

Post by Veegun »

Actually I meant the SS around the bone.

The clip is hard to remove from the knife or your pocket?
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

All my Kopas (I've the whole series) are still unused and still look pretty :cool:

Beausage - well, I'm no native speaker but it sounds like a combination of beauty and usage.
Veegun wrote:... The clip is hard to remove from the knife or your pocket?
I'm not Paul, but I remember his posts about that matter: Paul wears his Sypies without clip in his pockets and he dislikes the three visible screw holes after removing the clip from a Kopa.
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

I use the only Kopa I have but I don't abuse it. It's a MOP/Abalone Kopa given to me by Spyderco. I figure not using it is kind of a disservice to the knife and the entire manufacturing facility. I don't use it hard but I do cut stuff with it. I open boxes, open letters, cut string, plastic ties, etc. It still shows almost no use.

It's a great little knife. I like how it's about the size of the Dragonfly but has a little bit larger handle.
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
bladese97

Post by bladese97 »

:spyder: :spyder: :cool: :spyder: :spyder: I don't have a Kiwi, or Kopa, but I imagine they would just sit, and look pretty all the time if I did :o :D
:spyder: :spyder: :cool: :spyder: :spyder: "Spyderco...does a pocket good":spyder:
Spyderco Rocks!!!! "A wise man once said all knives were created equal...Obviously, he meant Spydercos''
As of 1-29-08, I am a proud member of Knife Rights!
Sleeping Robot

Post by Sleeping Robot »

My MOP Kopa is my EDC. It was a gift from my wife for our 20'th anniversary. I carry it in a small sheath to keep its clip from scratching up my cell phone, which I carry in the same pocket. That has the effect of keeping the knife from getting scratched up too.

No, I've never heard of beausage.

Best regards,
Ron
boxer93

Post by boxer93 »

Use it.
Chris

Need to fix the image.
Attachments
closed_low.jpg
closed_low.jpg (71.2 KiB) Viewed 1733 times
Be Excellent to each other.
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

I carry and use all my Kopas, one at a time though. They make great NKP friendly knives for the office. I don't hesitate to use these nice looking knives, although I won't deliberately try to cut a material that's harder than the VG-10 on the Kopa.

Especially the bolsters tend to attract some light scratching. Thankfully, when using a diffuse lightsource, these scratches don't show up in a picture. One of the blades got a bit tarnished over time. This happens sometimes with VG-10. A little copperpolish and elbow grease fixed it nicely.

One time, I dropped my micarta Kopa on concrete, producing a few deep scratches in the steel in the handle and a dent in the edge of the micarta inlay. I was able to get rid of the deeper scratches in the steel by using a white stone from my Sharpmaker and some careful sanding and polishing took care of the damage to the micarta.

Wouter
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 3-11-2024 Instagram
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Veegun wrote:Actually I meant the SS around the bone.

The clip is hard to remove from the knife or your pocket?
From the knife. And it's not that it's difficult to remove, truth is you just unscrew three screws and it's off. The problem is, when you do that, it leaves a nasty hole in the bolster...

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]

I never use a pocket clip and if I wanted to, the Kopa's would be on the wrong side for me. This is how that knife looks now, after Steve filled the screw holes and reworked the bolster...

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

Chris (boxer93),

Here, I fixed your image. :) I made it a little smaller for ya.

http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/6869 ... lowev1.jpg
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
hiredgun

Post by hiredgun »

I took my Turquoise Kopa to church today and fiddled with it when I got bored. That's about the extent of use my Kopa gets. I will be getting a blue bone and maybe a giraffe bone coming up this year and likely those will get handled with kids' gloves too.
You can't display a toad in a fine restaurant like this! Why, the good folks here would go right off the feed!
Manix Guy 2

If !

Post by Manix Guy 2 »

If Sal would be so kind to produce a lefty Kopa , I would kindly abuse and use this wonderful small knife . MG2
ozspyder

Use not abuse

Post by ozspyder »

Ahhhh what a lovely little knife :D

I have a few Kopas, most of which reside and look pretty in my Kopa Kabana :p

I do have a black micarta one which I have in my EDC rotation. I use it lightly to open packaging, cut paper, string etc. No abuse, definitely not, just light usage. I like it because of its NKP friendly nature. Decent sized small blade in a cute package.

The micarta one is probably one of the more blander versionas of the Kopa. Lately I've been very tempted to carry my Abalone/ MOP one or the Turquoise one. Might have to get a stunt double before I do so :rolleyes: :p
Cheers
Daniel (Certified Persian & Kopa nut)
Facebook profile: https://www.facebook.com/ozspyder
:spyder: I love my: Persians, Kopas, and Lums
:spyder: * Daniel's Spyderco Hoard *
:spyder: * Ozspyder's Kopa Kabana *
Veegun

Post by Veegun »

I will use mine..

It's not like they cost a fortune.
boxer93

Post by boxer93 »

David Lowry wrote:Chris (boxer93),

Here, I fixed your image. :) I made it a little smaller for ya.

http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/6869 ... lowev1.jpg
Thanks David, Now I just need a spare minute to update it :(
Chris
Be Excellent to each other.
gandalfe

Post by gandalfe »

I made a little leather pouch to protect my Kopa in it's adventures and travels.Tghey get lonely left home all the time.ImageImageImageImage
telemeister

Post by telemeister »

datan wrote:Ahhhh what a lovely little knife :D

I have a few Kopas......
Don't believe him when he says he only has a few!!!

I haven't got one yet, but it is on the way (honey jigged bone). I will use it because of, well, beausage!!
Top :spyder:s : Caly 3, Stretch, Millie, Manix 2, Police, Kopa, Polliwog, Meerkat, Chinook III, and SuperHawk.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Click the pic to see my :spyder: