On the fence about the Poliwog...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Spygineer

On the fence about the Poliwog...

Post by Spygineer »

Been admiring it for a while now and finally held one. Just not sure what is stopping me from getting it. One of the main things is the fact that it is a little heavier than what I am used to (also a little bulky width wise). I wish they'd come out with a lighter version (like a blue G-10 ala dodo).

Anyway, any opinions from owners out there. Should I get it or should I not? There's just so many :spyder: 's i want right now.
I'm Hooked like a hawkbilll!!!:D
Andre V

Post by Andre V »

This was one i could hardly wait for. When i first saw the pictures a few years back, i placed my preorder.

When i got the knife i was 100% satisfied, great little cutter, nice ergos, good lock upetc.

Then after a week or 2 i just stopped carrying it and have never carried it since. I think the weight and width are an issue. Not totaly sure why but it just lost its appeal.
"So many knives, so little pockets"
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

the width of this knife closed is really big.
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
Spygineer

Post by Spygineer »

Hey Andre V - I think you just described exactly where I stand on the Poli. I like it, but I'm worried it will not see as much pocket time as the rest. I might hold off on this one.
swingshot

Post by swingshot »

Spygineer wrote: I wish they'd come out with a lighter version (like a blue G-10 ala dodo).
Somehow, i can't see that happening. I suspect the Poliwog hasn't been anything more than a moderate success, and i'd be fairly surprised if it was still manufactured this time next year.
aj1985

Post by aj1985 »

In every discussion about the Poliwog the following has come up.

Too wide in the pocket & therefore gets very little pocket time.
The knife fits the hand very very well, but i think it's much more of a gadget and the price is to high for this knife.

hope that helps
Live in every breath

INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

I carried a Poliwogfor over a year as a work-edc and it worked really well. When carried IWB, the pocket space isn't an issue. The knife rides really discreet and when it's out, the average NKP won't recognize it as a knife but some sort of meccano tool. The ergos are superb and the knife cuts really well for its short size. I replaced mine with a Lava as it rides more comfortably in a pocket and IWB for me.

Wouter
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-28-2024 Instagram
Spygineer

Post by Spygineer »

thx mrblond. it was actually from sseing your pics that made me want one. but Ive deided to put this on the backburner. there are a few other spydies i'd rather get first.

thx all for your response
RLR

Post by RLR »

Great knife opened, terrible knife closed. That's the downfall of the Poliwog. It is a cool gadget, but not a great user. Like most on here, I got one, played with it for a week, then put it away, never used it, got rid of it.

But, it is a good knife, when opened!
bladese97

Oh **** ya

Post by bladese97 »

:spyder: :spyder: :cool: :spyder: :spyder: Dude; You seriously should get one :spyder: I put off getting one, due to it's size(3&3/8''closed), and I don't have huge hands, but my mother calls them sausage fingers(ya...they're fat) :rolleyes: Anyway, I finally got one, and it Kicks@$$ :eek: Don't let the size, or carry, or anything stop you dude; It carries awseome, and fits my hand like a glove, and that small blade is more effective than one might think :eek: As far as performance in a small package, if you own a Caly3, I would compare it to the Poliwog, so....Uh, hmmm...Oh ya.....GET ONE :D
:spyder: :spyder: :cool: :spyder: :spyder: "Spyderco...does a pocket good":spyder:
Spyderco Rocks!!!! "A wise man once said all knives were created equal...Obviously, he meant Spydercos''
As of 1-29-08, I am a proud member of Knife Rights!