Looking Back At: The C-46 Bob Lum Tanto folder

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Looking Back At: The C-46 Bob Lum Tanto folder

Post by JD Spydo »

About 35 months ago when I got my very first Spyderco C-46 Bob Lum CE Tanto Folder with a G-10 handle I was truly venturing into new territory at the time. And keep in mind that I got my User C-46 after it had been discontinued. Also keep in mind that I've never been "Gung-Ho" for tanto blades in particular until I got my hands on this Bob Lum creation. His tantos are truly a beast in a category all it's own.

Not only is this an exceptional blade for a liner lock system but this knife is much more pragmatic and user friendly than I ever originally envisioned. Lum's tanto actually is more streamlined for doing very demanding cutting chores. Also the tip of the blade being done with the convex "Hamaguri" grind not only keeps it sharp for an extended time but adds strength to a blade tip like none I've seen before.

It really saddened me a few months back when this great blade was being discussed and MR. Glesser chimed in saying that this blade fell from the line up due to poor sales. If there ever was any Spyder that got unjustly ignored and passed by while in production it was the C-46 along with 2 others I won't mention at this time. Let's chat about this one. How many of you have one for a USER? Also how many of you like this knife as I do?
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
4 s ter

Post by 4 s ter »

JD

I have the Titanium handled version and it is one of the nicest knives I own.

I felt it needed a "classier" carry method so I had Gary Graley make a custom leather sheath for it. The sheath can be used for rear-canted cary or cross-draw carry.

I've changed the lanyard/fob from the one Gary provided to a rawhide Chris Reeves style coil knot. By the way, it's clipless in the sheath.

It doesn't get carried often, but it is one of the "stars" of the collection.
David

"Not all who wander are lost"
"To liner or not to liner? That is the question?" -- Sal
"Rule number nine: always carry a knife." -- Special Agent Jethro Gibbs/NCIS ;)
scout

Post by scout »

I ecd mine pretty frequently.The hollow grind portion of the blade is awesome and takes an edge quickly. I can beat the **** out of the tip, but I find it hard to get the tip between the items that I want to pry :p The only drawback is it is a heavy knife that weighs down anything without a belt.( not my running knife of choice!) Overall, a favorite for sure.
griff76

Post by griff76 »

I love the C-46. I have carried and used my G-10 CE quite a bit. It locks up very solid. The sound this thing makes when you open it is unlike any other knife I have. A very reassuring thwak.
I recently got the PE blk blade and havn't brought myself to use it yet. I have used my Ti Tanto's for very light duty.
"There was never a good knife made out of bad steel"
-Benjamin Franklin
Agent Starling

Post by Agent Starling »

I don't have this knife yet, but it's a lovely knife and definitely on the list. And I really like tantos!

Agent Starling
"Too many was too many, but way too many was just right."
bladese97

Post by bladese97 »

:spyder: :spyder: :cool: :spyder: :spyder: Dude, I have to tell you...I have the same exact Bob Lum you have, and I agree when you say it's one of the nicest you have, because it is indeed!!!!!!!! If it were lefty clipable, I would wear it more often. Cool lanyard in the pic. P.s....Do you know where I can get one in g-10?
:spyder: :spyder: :cool: :spyder: :spyder: "Spyderco...does a pocket good":spyder:
Spyderco Rocks!!!! "A wise man once said all knives were created equal...Obviously, he meant Spydercos''
As of 1-29-08, I am a proud member of Knife Rights!
JD Spydo

A really nice combo

Post by JD Spydo »

4 s ter wrote:JD

I have the Titanium handled version and it is one of the nicest knives I own.

I felt it needed a "classier" carry method so I had Gary Graley make a custom leather sheath for it. The sheath can be used for rear-canted cary or cross-draw carry.

I've changed the lanyard/fob from the one Gary provided to a rawhide Chris Reeves style coil knot. By the way, it's clipless in the sheath.

It doesn't get carried often, but it is one of the "stars" of the collection.

David I normally don't care for leather sheaths at all. Because historically I've had some bad luck incidents with them. But that one that you have for your C-46 Lum tanto is truly a superb piece of work.

That sheath really does justice to such a fine knife. The C-46 is one of Spyderco's blades that I closely equate to being a custom knife. And the fact you've got the Titanium handled version just makes it that much sweeter.

It is so neat to see such a fine blade being treated with the respect that it deserves. JD
giant1

Post by giant1 »

I have the C46 Ti and would say it is in the top 3 favourites of my collection. I don't edc it but am currently on the lookout for a G10 version to carry.

The C46 is a fantastic design, it fits my hand perfectly and the blade shape and size are just right.

I love all my Spyderco's but a few are held in higher esteem. The C46 definately falls in this category.
:spyder: Collector 118
What goes around, comes around
JD Spydo

Custom quality

Post by JD Spydo »

giant1 wrote:I have the C46 Ti and would say it is in the top 3 favourites of my collection. I don't edc it but am currently on the lookout for a G10 version to carry.

The C46 is a fantastic design, it fits my hand perfectly and the blade shape and size are just right.

I love all my Spyderco's but a few are held in higher esteem. The C46 definately falls in this category.
Well Giant you are only one of about 20 people who I've heard are on the search for a USER C-46 :cool: . In some ways I prize my User C-46 more than I do a new one that I have put away.

Also this is one knife I would highly recommend getting the black coated version if you plan on using one. This is one Spyder that just looks sleek & sassy with a black blade :cool: . This is one of the very few Spyders that has seriously made me want to go to the designer and get one custom made from Mr. Lum himself. Normally I would be content with Spyderco's version but this knife is so elegant that I just can't help but believe that a "Real McCoy" custom version of this blade would be like buying fine art> Pablo Picasso eat your heart out :p :rolleyes: :cool: "COOL" doesn't even begin to describe this blade.
Bruceter

Post by Bruceter »

I have one of these in VG-10 with the black coated blade. I would agree that this model looks coolest with the black blade and G-10 scales. Mine is a user, mainly carry it when I am camping. It definitly rates up there in the top three for the cool sound it makes when locking open.

Bruceter
J32A2

Post by J32A2 »

Has anyone ever seen a G-10 SILVER bladed lum tanto folder? I was just offered one, and to be honest I never heard of these? Can anyone comment?
scout

Post by scout »

I don't think that I have seen a G10 handled/ satin edged version.
camvdcs

Post by camvdcs »

I saw one on Ebay a while back. Like in December. I also thought there was a thread on this forum where I saw many of Bob's work. It was after he had passed on and there was this thread that had a number of his tanto folders with pictures. I'm sure I saw a satin blade G10 tanto it.
Attachments
LumTant2-11.jpg
LumTant2-11.jpg (54.24 KiB) Viewed 10202 times
griff76

Post by griff76 »

Yes, it was produced. Check it out here: http://spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30854
It is one of my favorite Spyderco's over all.
"There was never a good knife made out of bad steel"
-Benjamin Franklin
J32A2

Post by J32A2 »

Right on! Thanks guys, I never knew these were produced! Were these a sprint run or production?
stoneman

Post by stoneman »

camvdcs wrote:I saw one on Ebay a while back. Like in December. I also thought there was a thread on this forum where I saw many of Bob's work. It was after he had passed on and there was this thread that had a number of his tanto folders with pictures. I'm sure I saw a satin blade G10 tanto it.
Those are the pointiest serrations I think I've ever seen on a spydie. Sweet knives :)
rlw1979777

G10 Tantos

Post by rlw1979777 »

This is by far one of hte nicest of my collection. I own all the black on black ones, and the fixed, and titanium ones, but there is something about the G10 Satin ones, that pushes it over the top for me. Its just a work of art, plain and simple.
CrookedSoul

Post by CrookedSoul »

I'm like alot of other people and want one of these so bad. It seems like such a practical design, with great features. I agree with you all that the black blade seems the way to go.
Punishcutioner

Re: Looking Back At: The C-46 Bob Lum Tanto folder

Post by Punishcutioner »

This was my second Spyderco I bought. My 1st was the original Rookie. How I will always love this folder. Could I ever part with it? I doubt it.
Punishcutioner

Re: Looking Back At: The C-46 Bob Lum Tanto folder

Post by Punishcutioner »

I almost did today. An offer that was truly hard to pass up.