Just got my s90v millie

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
stoneman

Just got my s90v millie

Post by stoneman »

Just got my new "super" military in the mail, and surprisingly it's the least sharp spydie I've ever received. It's not the end of the world, as it was going to stay on display only, but still disappointing none the less. It is still pretty sharp but not up to par with all of the other :spyder: I've got. The only one I have that won't shave hair. I could've sharpened it and not said a word but after all the hype about the kind of edge the s90v could hold I was almost expecting a cf handled laser. I still love the knife, just thought I'd post my first impressions. Thanks
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Sounds like they have hired a psychic, who told them not to bother getting that one sharp since it was just for display anyway. ;)

Just kidding. Mine came shaving sharp, and the edge holds up remarkably well in my use, which seems to be a bit harder than average around here. It isn't too difficult to sharpen as long as you stick with diamond hones, but it is somewhat time consuming.
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

I wondered about the sharpening of the S90V. Diamonds I don't have.
Do have an S60V LilTemp and it is a bear to sharpen.
Well glad you like it.
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
stoneman

Post by stoneman »

There's already a few posts kickin' around about sharpening the s90v. If I recall correctly it was suggested not to use the brown stones in the sharpmaker (if that's what you're using) but I could be mistaken. :o
kbuzbee

Brown stones

Post by kbuzbee »

Spot on, there were a couple really good threads over on BF. I put a convex on mine that was "okay" but not what I was looking for. It was tough as nails and held up great but never got quite as sharp as I wanted.... Anyway, Yesterday, I put it on the SM Diamonds and it's great now. I do wish we had a couple different grits for the diamonds.... With all the supersteels here and coming, it seems like a great idea.

Ken
玉鋼
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

stoneman wrote: It's not the end of the world, as it was going to stay on display only, but still disappointing none the less.
A "display" knife :confused: Never thought of such a thing. To me, knives are for carrying and cutting. Come to think of it, the only things I have "just to look at" is the television and a couple pictures on the wall....

Well, enjoy it! I am mine!

Ken
玉鋼
stoneman

Post by stoneman »

I know, I know, spydies are to be used and abused and not dispalyed. It's just that up here you can never be too careful around the boys in blue.
I do carry longer blades from time to time but only when my chance of interaction with the law is very minimal. My brother has a 5yr weapons ban :eek: because of a 4" folder. It wasn't so much the length of the of the knife, but the officer was able to flick it open ( after 10 mins. of trying unsuccessfully). I must say in their defense he was less than cooperative with the officer involved but had the knife confiscated for it's " illegality" after his lengthy gravity knife test. Once "the man" puts his foot down there's really little you can do about it. I can't risk even a 1yr ban let alone lose my brand new $200 knife. I happily use and abuse my spydies but I must admit the cf handled and rarer ones are only carried rarely.
JacksonKnives

Post by JacksonKnives »

stoneman wrote:I know, I know, spydies are to be used and abused and not dispalyed. It's just that up here you can never be too careful around the boys in blue.
I do carry longer blades from time to time but only when my chance of interaction with the law is very minimal. My brother has a 5yr weapons ban :eek: because of a 4" folder. It wasn't so much the length of the of the knife, but the officer was able to flick it open ( after 10 mins. of trying unsuccessfully). I must say in their defense he was less than cooperative with the officer involved but had the knife confiscated for it's " illegality" after his lengthy gravity knife test. Once "the man" puts his foot down there's really little you can do about it. I can't risk even a 1yr ban let alone lose my brand new $200 knife. I happily use and abuse my spydies but I must admit the cf handled and rarer ones are only carried rarely.
[Daniel is glad he doesn't live in Ontario/get into trouble with the cops...]

This is off-topic, but I was reading in the Criminal Code the other week that if you appeal to the minister, they have the option of giving you the opportunity to make your "prohibited weapon" non-prohibited (in the case of a knife, this should only require a quick tightening of the pivot.) I wonder if anyone's ever actually gone through that process...

Congrats on the Millie--did you find it locally, or mail-order?
—Daniel Jackson
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

stoneman wrote:I know, I know, spydies are to be used and abused and not dispalyed. It's just that up here you can never be too careful around the boys in blue...
I feel for you buddy. I guess if my choice were to own it and not use it or not own it at all, I'd be right where you are. Fortunately, living kinda out in the country does have it's benefits..... More stuff to cut and more choice in tools ;) If they think my Spydies are too big, I'll show 'em some of my Busse's :eek:

I had the oddest conversation with a border policeman last time I went into Canada, but that's another story.... ;)

Ken
玉鋼
stoneman

Post by stoneman »

I ordered it off "that auction site" and please ssshhhhhhhh! If you say B**se too loud my wallett's gonna cry ;)
Native Justice

Post by Native Justice »

Why not give that baby a quick stropping? Most knives only need that to get their edges really "spooky sharp"?

NJ
Be safe.

NJ

“The strength of an individual is not measured by how much one can control others, but by how much one can control oneself.” Hidy Ochiai