The BaliYo/Spydie Writing Utensil???

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
flyguy

Post by flyguy »

Question: Does the pen stick out past the handle when closed? Seems a little odd... (Though I haven't seen one in person, so I will reserve further judgement)
Th232

Post by Th232 »

Given the pics of how it's held on the baliyo site, I'd say it does. From those pics, you write with it closed, with your fingers just above the rings.
Will

"No one wants to look the fool. Everyone does the best they can. If they knew better, they'd do better" - old woman on the railway tracks to Sal.

spyderwa

BaliYo

Post by spyderwa »

I had a chance to spend some time with the BaliYo over the past few days. While I don't want to release any propriety information regarding the marketing and availability I think it is safe to say that this is one of the most fun objects that I have played with in a long time. First off, it is not a weapon nor is it intended to be a makeshift weapon at all. In other words it should be safe to have in any schoolyard assuming the teachers don't get annoyed with the users in the classroom. You can write with the arms open or closed though closed makes more sense. The BaliYo handles like a lighter shorter Spyderfly. You can actually do a few more tricks with it because it doesn't have any Spyder-sharp edges. It is extremely addicting even for the unskilled like myself. If this is marketed properly at the right price it should be a fantastic seller. A lot of thought went into this and when you see a skilled user demonstrate it is impressive. It should be well worth the wait.

spyderwa

Rare Spyderco Webpage
http://www.angelfire.com/trek/spyderwa
Th232

Post by Th232 »

Sweet! Wonder what people who are annoyed at clicky pens will think of this. :p
Will

"No one wants to look the fool. Everyone does the best they can. If they knew better, they'd do better" - old woman on the railway tracks to Sal.

Blackhair

Post by Blackhair »

spyderwa wrote:It should be well worth the wait.
But how long will the wait be?... :D
Back from an extended hiatus.
Jedi Knife

Post by Jedi Knife »

The only problem I see with this is, that as a novice balisong user, it may form some bad habits (i.e. using both sides of the pen barrel for rebound techniques), and then forgetting about the sharp side when going back to using the real knife. BTW I'm absolutely getting at least a couple of these, since I haven't had a balisong in many years.
cobrajoe

Post by cobrajoe »

Jedi Knife wrote:The only problem I see with this is, that as a novice balisong user, it may form some bad habits (i.e. using both sides of the pen barrel for rebound techniques), and then forgetting about the sharp side when going back to using the real knife. BTW I'm absolutely getting at least a couple of these, since I haven't had a balisong in many years.
Those are the same problems you would see with a novice using a trainer...

Anyways, I absolutely love this idea. Not only will it be fun to play with, it might show some people that a bali isn't always scary.
MEMBER OF THE INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE
Jedi Knife

Post by Jedi Knife »

Good point, cobrajoe. I was thinking more of my own knuckleheadedness and what I would likely be inclined to do more than someone else who could very likely have more presence of mind than myself. One more "danger" this presents to me would be making me want to go buy a real bali after so many years, but hey I'll take my chances ;) .
sal

Post by sal »

Thank you for your interest.

The new Spyderco BaliYo is a pen concept that will be expanded. We've been working on the idea and making models for more than 2 years. The original BaliYo is one of Eric's designs.

The goal was to capture the "spirit" of the butterfly without any of the legal implications. The BaliYo can be used anywhere, by anyone, sitting or standing.

Tooling is curently in progress in 3 locations and prices should vary from $15 to $50. Delivery is expected to begin in May or June.

Since the pen "moves", much care is being taken to be able to handle millions of "flips" (and a few "drops" ;) ). Quality materials and construction is important.

Size, balance and shape have been refined to serve. There will be a variety of colors and so far, two basic shapes. Many plans for the future.

We're planning a contest; regional to national.

BaliYo's are safe, legal and fun and should serve a large market. "everybody BaliYo's".

sal
Piet.S

Post by Piet.S »

I like the idea, and my daughter is thrilled.
A school-legal Bali.

When, how much?
All your knifelinks, http://www.knifelinksportal.com
Chucula

Post by Chucula »

Man thats cool. Great idea.
carrot

Post by carrot »

Sounds great! My only gripe is that they won't arrive early enough for me to use at school... will have to wait til summer's over.
Latest :spyder: -- Blurple Para2
dedguy

Post by dedguy »

Prices ranging from $15-$50 leads me to believe we may be seeing some interesting materials... maybe titanium? I could down for one of these in all stainless or titanium.
"Always keep an edge on your knife son, because a good sharp edge is a man's best hedge against the vague uncertainties of life."
dedguy.net
ragingwolf66

Post by ragingwolf66 »

I think it is a great concept. I have never owned a Bali, and the idea of a Safe alternative to practice on before using a live bladed one is great. The added bonus, is that I use pens more often than knives. So it would always be near. There is a great marketing potential here. I love it!!!
Agent Starling

do the twist...

Post by Agent Starling »

sal wrote:The goal was to capture the "spirit" of the butterfly without any of the legal implications. The BaliYo can be used anywhere, by anyone, sitting or standing.
Sounds brilliant...I wonder if such an object becomes commonplace, it if will change public perceptions eventually...maybe one day the 'Flys can become legal in most places...hopeful, I know! :D
sal wrote:Tooling is curently in progress in 3 locations and prices should vary from $15 to $50. Delivery is expected to begin in May or June.

Size, balance and shape have been refined to serve. There will be a variety of colors and so far, two basic shapes. Many plans for the future.

We're planning a contest; regional to national.
That is very exciting news indeed!

I'm sure I speak for many when I say that I am most appreciative of this info! :) :spyder: :)

Agent Starling
"Too many was too many, but way too many was just right."
Th232

Post by Th232 »

Thanks for all the info Sal! Definitely interested about all the colour and shape variations!
Will

kimjune01

Post by kimjune01 »

Two basic shapes.. That means I gotta get two!
Salamander42

Post by Salamander42 »

sal wrote: We're planning a contest; regional to national.
I have a feeling that any contest will be dominated by 8 to 12 year old kids. I love all kinds of juggling and manipulation tricks including yo yos, and it always seems like any time I learn a new trick, the next day I see a video of some kid doing the same thing faster and smoother and as part of a routine that just makes me look silly and makes me feel old even though I'm only 34. :o

I'm really looking forward to getting one or two (or there or four) of these to play around with!
SeanH

Post by SeanH »

I can just imagine the scene...

I've just been puled over for, ah, a tail light out. The officer hands me a warning to sign and I whip out my BalliYo and flip it open to sign on the dotted line, and see a sudden movement out of the corner of my eye.

Uh, Sir? It's a pen. Please don't shoot. It's just a pen...
>>The Spyderco Forum Cookbook ... and its thread<<

Think about what you believe, but don't believe everything you think.

"We feel that to "charge as much as the market will bear" is "to bite the hand that feeds you"."
Sal Glesser
kimjune01

Post by kimjune01 »

lol at that, SeanH!