G-10 Cricket?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
merciful

G-10 Cricket?

Post by merciful »

I'd really love to have a cricket without metal handles: I'm just not fond of them. But I'm not quite willing to pay $100 for a CF version. I wonder if we might see a sprint sometime?
Those who give up their freedom for safety will soon find that they have neither.[SIZE="-1"][/size]
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

G-10 Caly 3 has a street price around $100, so does the new G-10 Delica. Captain goes for $125. Manufacturing costs are going up, so are prices. So, unless you're suggesting it be manufactured in China, I would rate the chances a Sprint Run G-10 Cricket being significantly less expensive than the going price for the CF ones at somewhere between slim an nil. Might even cost more, especially if the speculators drive up the street price as has happened with several prior Sprint Run models.

You might consider finding out if STR, or someone else who customizes Spydies would replace the front scale of an all stainless one with G-10 for you.

If you want really lightweight, keep an eye out for an FRN Cricket, they run 12 grams less than the CF and SS versions, which both weigh 50 grams on my scale.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!

Post by 224477 »

OK, I will exagerate a bit, how about a black blade, G10 "tactical" Cricket? :p
"Having a dull knife is like having a stupid friend."
merciful

Post by merciful »

Yeah, Deacon, you're right: I guess I was a bit silly in thinking it could be sub-$100; just because it's tiny doesn't mean there's less work in making it. And were it made in China, I wouldn't buy it.

I think I will check with STR, thanks. And I suppose if a non-Sino sprint happened I'd buy it anyway.
Those who give up their freedom for safety will soon find that they have neither.[SIZE="-1"][/size]
aj1985

Post by aj1985 »

merciful wrote:Yeah, Deacon, you're right: I guess I was a bit silly in thinking it could be sub-$100; just because it's tiny doesn't mean there's less work in making it. And were it made in China, I wouldn't buy it.

I think I will check with STR, thanks. And I suppose if a non-Sino sprint happened I'd buy it anyway.
STR will not be doing anymore crickets in the near future.

basically he said his hands are too big and the cricket is to small

aj
Live in every breath

INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE
dedguy

Post by dedguy »

There's some other peeps that do that sort or work though... I just don't have any suggestions as to who to check with.
"Always keep an edge on your knife son, because a good sharp edge is a man's best hedge against the vague uncertainties of life."
dedguy.net
boxer93

Post by boxer93 »

There was an FRN version of the cricket. Might be fairly easy to scare one up.
Chris
Be Excellent to each other.
Spygineer

Post by Spygineer »

I'd be willing to pay +$100 for it. It may be a small knife, but it serves me well for what I need. In fact, I'd buy several. But that's just me. :D

Still want a fully serrated hawkbill cricket though (or any new cricket for that matter) :D :D :D !
I'm Hooked like a hawkbilll!!!:D
aj1985

Post by aj1985 »

check with Gull wing or Potterma
Live in every breath

INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE
merciful

Post by merciful »

Cool, thanks.

Let me retrace my steps. For a VG-10 (or perhaps something even newer and cooler) cricket in CF or G-10, I'd pay $100, too.
aj1985 wrote:check with Gull wing or Potterma
araneae

Post by araneae »

Brad AKA Tricod has done some excellent work with G-10.

I would also like to see a run of non-stainless handled Crickets. Even FRN in a different color would be nice.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
cobrajoe

Post by cobrajoe »

I would be all for a micarta cricket, but I would prefer it in SE, and possibly some interesting color. I don't believe a dark blue has been done yet...
MEMBER OF THE INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

araneae wrote:Brad AKA Tricod has done some excellent work with G-10.

I would also like to see a run of non-stainless handled Crickets. Even FRN in a different color would be nice.
Have a hunch a run of FRN/VG-10 Crickets in a pink to match the Delicas and Enduras, would sell so fast even Sal would be impressed, assuming the dies and tooling still exist.

On the other hand, not sure how many, outside "the circle" would be anxious to drop $100 on a G-10/VG-10 Cricket, or even more for one in CF, so having a stainless one modded might be the only realistic way to get one like that.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
spydutch

Post by spydutch »

I would sure like a G10 handled Cricket/SE(even for $100)

Don't see it happen though.

But then, I would be one happy camper if Spyderco would make fully serrated blades on the etched ones.

Heck, I would give Sal a big smackeroo on both of his cheeks :D when I can make it to the A'dam show if he would do just that ;)
Arend(old school Spydie lover)

MEMBER OF THE INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE!!!

VERY PROUD OWNER OF A CALY III/SE #043 :D

....AND A FG(PARA) MILITARY/SE IN CPMD2(thanx Sal):cool:

...I would love to have one in full SpyderEdge:p
Steel Vader

Post by Steel Vader »

Ah, yes. A G-10 SE Cricket ...

... the mythical "Crickvilian." :D

Would love to see this produced, especially with an oversized (four finger) handle, and a compression or winged ball lock.

-SV-
MojoRising

Post by MojoRising »

I had one of the original Tuffram Crickets many, many moons ago but sold it like a dummy. The little FRN one is staying with me for the long haul...