Mule Handles and a request, Sal

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
WinstonWolf

Post by WinstonWolf »

The brass rods from a SharpMaker work perfectly as shown here:

Picture Thread for the Mule

WW
CWO

Post by CWO »

WW: Thanks. Pls see my note to you in that thread.

CWO
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

CWO wrote:I confess that I am puzzled that this thread died kind of quietly without anyone finding a reasonably off-the-shelf solution to scale attachment. Has anyone found a method to attach scales (not permanently) without inventing custom hardware (as Tricod had to do)?

How hard is drilling out the holes on a drill press with a carbide bit? Not everyone has a machine shop as thir disposal.

I don't understand what Spyderco had in mind for customer scale attachment. While it is our task to do - I have to believe that the knife wasn't released requiring a machine shop/fabrication to affix scales.

If someone has stumbled across a simple solution - I'm very, very interested.

Thanks!

CWO
Sal's far too much of a gentleman to say it, so I will.

Thank you for demonstrating so eloquently that no act of kindness goes unpunished. :rolleyes: I doubt there's another company that would have given even a moment's consideration to a project like the Mule Team. While it is outside my personal field of interest, I think it was an incredibly selfless thing for Sal to do, and am absolutely amazed at how much more some folks seem to think they were entitled to.

As for your last question - ever hear of epoxy?
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
jeroboam

Post by jeroboam »

The Deacon wrote:Sal's far too much of a gentleman to say it, so I will.

Thank you for demonstrating so eloquently that no act of kindness goes unpunished. :rolleyes: I doubt there's another company that would have given even a moment's consideration to a project like the Mule Team. While it is outside my personal field of interest, I think it was an incredibly selfless thing for Sal to do, and am absolutely amazed at how much more some folks seem to think they were entitled to.

Well said sir!
:)
J
I'm not bitter, I'm mostly Cider!
CWO

Post by CWO »

The Deacon wrote:Sal's far too much of a gentleman to say it, so I will.

I've heard of epoxy - thanks. I don't choose to use it on this nice knife - thanks. So before you launch off as the designated forum arse may I respectfully suggest that you climb off your high horse and re-read my post. In no place did I say that the knife wasn't a fine one. Period. In no place did I suggest that Spyderco did a bad thing in releasing it. Period. I never said that I was "entitled" to anything. In no post on this board have i EVER made negative remarks against Spyderco as a firm or their products. None. Period. So get off my back. I don't need your negative interpretations of my post - so don't try spinning it to fit your agenda.

I was simply asking for help to understand how to fasten scales to this knife -thats it. I don't need your holier-than-thou sarcasm - so stow it. I just wanted to know if anyone has found a off-the-shelf hardware solution to attach scales. If it were any of your business (and it isn't) my post ASSUMES that Spyderco knows of some way to do this attachment with pins or screws. I DON'T believe that the mounting holes are radom/not thought through. I know Tricod is working on it and there are hints that others are too. I just want information. So you can take your sarcasm and your haughty attitude and just find someone else to attack on this board.

And for the record since you chose to publicly stir the pot and inflame - I DON'T believe that there is anything wrong with the knife - I think we just haven't figured out how to work with it.

In case you haven't noticed - no-one (in any thread that I am aware of) has come forward with an off-the-shelf, simple approach. I believe that many people will benefit from this information - not just me.

If anyone knows of a hardware solution to fasten scales to the Mule Team knife, I would be most sincerely appreciative of that information.

Respectfully,

CWO
Slick

Post by Slick »

Everybody take a chill pill here. The mule project is a cooperative venture between Spyderco and its loyal knife nuts. We get the steel to try out and Sal gets our feedback on the various steels.

It was clearly an oversight the first mule came with odd hole dimentions. Those holes would not be a problem for Spyderco but didn't work out for us.

That Sal has been able to resize the holes for the next mule should be good enough.

Everybody just stop.
Not really all that slick ;)
sal

Post by sal »

I undertand that Scott Gere (scgere@AOL.com) has fasteners for the current holes in the current mules.

On the next run, we will use 3/16" holes in place of the 5/32" holes.

Thanx much for your patience and kind understanding.

sal
jaislandboy

Post by jaislandboy »

just an fyi for others:
I contacted Scott Gere and he has kydex sheaths available for the Mule(s)... ;)
brian
"All paths lead back to the Spyderhole..."
CWO

Post by CWO »

sal wrote:I undertand that Scott Gere (scgere@AOL.com) has fasteners for the current holes in the current mules.

On the next run, we will use 3/16" holes in place of the 5/32" holes.

Thanx much for your patience and kind understanding.

sal

Thanks Sal - just the info that I needed!

Regards,
CWO