Choosing An EDC

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
vivi

Choosing An EDC

Post by vivi »

In the past two years, my EDC setup has varied tremendously. Lately it's been showing more consistency in that I can actually keep the same knife in my pocket for more than a week. I'm interested in deciding on a "default" setup that will be my EDC unless I expect the need for something else.

I've decided on a setup like The Deacons (Kiwi and Stretch 2) and may in fact go with those two knives. Something small and precise for small knife jobs or environments where large knives draw negative attention, as well as a full-sized knife with a blade between 3 and 4 inches and a strong, reliable lock. For steels, the focus for the small knife is for extremely acute edge angles with a highly polished edge and the larger knife excellent edge holding and the toughness to take more demanding use. The larger knife needs to have enough belly to be useful as a folding kitchen knife, which rules out knives like the Yojimbo or Dodo. I've thought about getting the blade on a UKPK reduced by 1/2 inch to an inch, since I find the handle extremely ergonomic but the blade is longer than I need for a small precision folder.

The knives I'm considering are as follows, with the ones I already own marked with a *

Small:

Micro-Dyad*
Kiwi
Spin
Cricket
Lava
UKPK*

Large:

UKPK (Could be my large or small knife)
Military* (Would purchase a S90V model if I chose this)
Stretch 2
Manix*
Endura G10
Native 3
Lil Temp
Tenacious*
Centofante 3
Para
Pacific Salt (Something I'm mainly considering due to how much I sweat being active outside in the summer)
Pheonix

I prefer the back lock to all others but will use any sort of lock if I like the rest of the design enough. I'm looking for models lacking tactical appearance if possible.

As much as I like the Manix and Military, lately they've felt bulky to me. An Endura or Tenacious fits IWB much better for me, which is where the large knife is carried a lot. Since the large knife for me sees a lot of carry and little use (Most my cutting can be done with a 2 inch blade), carry comfort will be an important factor.

Any other models I should consider or experience from those who use a similar setup would be appreciated. I don't have many small Spydercos right now, I've always carried a traditional slipjoint for that purpose, but I'm starting to look at them more closely. I have a micro Dyad in the mail and have held both a Lava and spin and find them comfortable. The Kiwi looks like the perfect small knife to me, as it has a small, precise, pointy blade with a choil that goes right up to the edge and a 4 finger grip. Very attractive piece as well, which is something I prefer in my knives. Right now I'm leaning towards the Kiwi or Spin for the small knife (Prefer a pointy blade) and the G10 Endura or Stretch 2 for the large knife.
quattrokid73

Post by quattrokid73 »

I take a similar approach to my EDC.

I carry either my Delica 4 or Caly 3 with my Spin Etched.

The combo of a 3" blade in a light, ergonomic package, with the SCALPEL wharncliffe of the Spin give me a knife for any situation, be it utility, detail work, SD, NKP's, etc. Of course a larger knife like the Endura would be just fine.

The Spin is a superb knife. See my review:

http://spyderco.com/forums/showthread.p ... pin+review

It's blade profile and handle are better suited to detail work than the Kiwi.

I clip my Delica/Caly to my right pocket and then have a lanyard on the spin that I drop in the bottom of the right pocket. It's barely noticeable to myself and others...the way it should be.
http://www.coroflot.com/aham73

:spyder: Orange Millie, UKPK Orange, DP UKPK, FRN UKPK Maroon DP, Urban Wharnie, Chokwe, Zulu, Mini Persian G-10, Spin Etched, Leafstorm, Caly Jr Gray, Sage 3, Lum CF

Every machine is the spiritualization of an organism.
vivi

Post by vivi »

quattrokid73 wrote: The Spin is a superb knife. See my review:

http://spyderco.com/forums/showthread.p ... pin+review

It's blade profile and handle are better suited to detail work than the Kiwi.

I clip my Delica/Caly to my right pocket and then have a lanyard on the spin that I drop in the bottom of the right pocket. It's barely noticeable to myself and others...the way it should be.
Thank you for the link. It's difficult to choose between the Kiwi and Spin because I only have access to the Spin in person to hold and get a feel for. Here's how I see it:

Spin

+Clip
+flatgrind
+Shorter cutting edge
+Better availability, can buy from local store
-Framelock
-Limited scale options
-2 finger grip

Kiwi

+backlock
+4 finger grip
+Wide variety of scale options
-No Clip (Deep pocket carry is perfectly fine but having the option of a clip is always a +)
-Hollowground
-Internet purchase only, some "hunting" required for certain scale options
-Bulkier and heavier in pocket
MANIXWORLD

Post by MANIXWORLD »

I must admit i sometimes have a hard time choosing my specific edc.,and i might chop and change as the day progresses.
Like today i have the E4W,D4W,D4 serrated on me,but i might change one for my Caly3 plainedge if my cutting requirements change.
But atleast one favorite edc remains in my pocket,usually my D4 serrated.
I usually like carrying a smaller plainedge to sharpen my sketch pencils,where my D4W does a great job at that.
When im cutting on tough materials and need EXtra bladelength and a thicker blade,the E4W stands in perfect.
Atleast one serrated Spydie always goes into my edc.rotation.
J D Wijbenga

Post by J D Wijbenga »

My edc is something similar. A combination of the Lava and the cf-Caly3. Works well for me. I have been doing it like this for about two months now, since I have recieved the Lava. Works wel for me.

JD
Blackhair

Post by Blackhair »

If you wish that the UKPK had a slightly smaller blade, then you're going to love the Urban. :cool:

Blade length right around what you're hoping for, variety of handle and blade options, probably won't be released until the second half of the year. :(
Back from an extended hiatus.
Tank

Post by Tank »

Everyday... Caly 3 SE
along with is what constintly changes. Here is the list as of late.

Lava
Adventura
Y Tasman Salt SE
FG D4 SE
Pink D4
Turquoise Kiwi

This week as been a bit different as I have had a Black Blade Native for about 6 months and have never carried it so this week it has been my primary EDC and I really like it so far. The second has been my Caly 3. Just can't keep that thing out of a pocket.
-John
quattrokid73

Post by quattrokid73 »

Vivi, have you handled the Spin Etched? The scales are really well done. Also the liner lock shouldn't give you any trouble. There is a Boye dent and it takes quite a lot of resistance to trip anyways.

:spyder: Orange Millie, UKPK Orange, DP UKPK, FRN UKPK Maroon DP, Urban Wharnie, Chokwe, Zulu, Mini Persian G-10, Spin Etched, Leafstorm, Caly Jr Gray, Sage 3, Lum CF

carrot

Post by carrot »

I agree. The E4 is an excellent knife to carry IWB.

My usual setup is a Military in the back pocket and whatever small (~3" blade) I feel like carrying for the day. If I feel like I'm going to be tackling some especially tough jobs I'll usually strap on a fixed blade, just to give them a chance to.. err, stretch their legs. (Legs, on a knife?!) I feel like the Military can tackle just about everything but there's no fun in using the same knife all the time. However, the Military is the knife I'm most comfortable with for doing just about... everything.

It's hard being an ELU who has one many too many knives (not a collection, I mean it!).
Latest :spyder: -- Blurple Para2
SimpleIsGood229

Post by SimpleIsGood229 »

As far as the big knife, the Stretch II may not be the best choice since ZDP does stain somewhat easily. A Pacific salt would serve well here. Heck, the FFG G-10 Endura wouldn't be too shabby for this duty, either.

As far as your choice of small Spydie --well, I'm afraid I'm not of much help here, since my small/shortest Spydies are the Tasman Salt and Mini Manix. :o The Spin would seem --to me, at least-- to serve very well here. You do already own it.

My EDC habits are typically like this:

-Street Beat on the belt (usually)
-SE Tasman in the left, front pocket
-Either Pacific, ZDP Endura, Manix, or Mini Manix (all PE) in right, front pocket, according to what I feel like that day.

If I know I'm going to be running around and getting all sweaty, I carry both Salts and call it good. When I'm out hunting, the Street Beat is, without question, always there, along with either Manix or Mini Manix. If it's rainy while hunting, I typically carry the Street Beat, Tasman, and Pacific. For church, it's either the ZDP Endura, Pacific, or either of the Manixes, depending on what I feel like. If I know I'll be cutting up a bunch of carpet at work, the ZDP Endura comes along that day.

My EDC on any given day really depends on a lot of things.
God Bless Texas!
[RIGHT]Avatar courtesy of Dialex[/RIGHT]
Μολὼν λαβέ

2009 - Birth of the H-1 Spyderhawk! Thank you, Sal!
jaislandboy

Post by jaislandboy »

hey Vivi,
you can't go wrong with the Stretch2/Kiwi or Spin like you mentioned... ;)
For the bigger knife, you might want to consider the D'Allara Drop Point as the G-10 Endura4 might "behave" a lot like a Military....except with a backlock and 4 way clip mounting....for a bigger knife w/belly check out the Chinook3 ..... its MBC geared but I can see how the Stretch would be better for food prep...
Those Aqua Salts and Moran Drop Point fixed blades look good too for a "larger knife" if you include fixed blades in your "requirements"...
Not to mention the G10 Cara Cara has some belly too :rolleyes:
The up and coming Urban should resemble a somewhat shorter UKPK...at least that's my impression ... good luck :)
brian
"All paths lead back to the Spyderhole..."
LeeCQC

Post by LeeCQC »

My vote is for the Lava! :spyder:
Lee

Behold, I give unto you power to tread on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy: and nothing shall by any means hurt you. Luke 10:19

*Avatar thanks to Dialex :spyder:
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

For me the Mili (currently the D2) is my large knife and the Lil'Temp is my small knife... Extreme control is easy with either. If I want something REALLY small, I take the Lava... I love the looks of the Kiwi and may get one some day but I'm not big on the fancy scales... It'll probably be the CF....

As an aside, I can't imagine the Mili feeling bulky. I never even know it's there until I need it.

Good luck and enjoy,

Ken
玉鋼
zenheretic

Post by zenheretic »

Welcome to Sal's Vivi; you'll be treated better here; good luck on your blade quest.
Follow the mushin, but pay it no heed.
gunmike1

Post by gunmike1 »

I carry the Manix front left pocket, the Endura ZDP (full flat grind to .010" edge) for medium duty right front pocket, and my Caly Jr. ZDP high hollow ground to a .005" edge inside my right front pocket generally. Sometimes you will find my R2 instead of the Endura, or a similarly ground Meadowlark instead of the Caly Jr., but the Manix is pretty constant. The size just doesn't bother me. That being said, I just about never run into anything tougher than what the Endura can handle, so the Manix is a little overkill. If you have a Stretch 2 it should fit the bill nicely as your larger knife. When I'm able to carry a fixed blade (must be exposed here in Cali) I substitute the Krein Ultimate Caper for the Caly Jr. and Endura and carry it and the Manix, or sometimes switch the Endura to lefty and substitute it for the Manix when carrying the fixed blade.

Mike
vivi

Post by vivi »

The large knives don't bother me too much, they just feel like overkill when a Caly 3 will handle most of what my knives are used for. I can carry a Manix or Military IWB all day and forget its there except when sitting in weird positions.

Either way, I'm closer to figuring out which small knife I'll carry. I got a Spin and Micro Dyad today. Both are very well made, the level of detail and F&F of both is impressive for their size. So far I like the Spin better for its better ergos and easier operation. I love the appearance and uniqueness of the microdyad and the thin, pointy PE blade is just what I was looking for in a small knife. I'll probably play with them both for a few days and post the one I choose to not EDC for trade.

I held a Lava today and wasn't quite as impressed with the ergonomics as I expected to be. The only other small knives I still want to take a look at for now are the Kiwi and Cricket.

The large knives I'm thinking about the most are the Stretch 2, S90V Military, FGE4 and one of the knives I already own like the Tenacious or Manix.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Right now I'm leaning towards the microdyad and a Caly 3 for my EDC setup.
quattrokid73

Post by quattrokid73 »

Why don't you take a week and switch off between the Caly3/Spin and Caly3/Dyad to get it hammered down?

You have all 3 now, right?

The Micro Dyad looks like a really cool knife. I'd like to see a picture of it in hand.

boxer93

Post by boxer93 »

Blackhair wrote:If you wish that the UKPK had a slightly smaller blade, then you're going to love the Urban. :cool:
If you don't want to wait you could always try to track down a DKPK. Although the opening hole it a tad small ;)
Chris
Be Excellent to each other.
vivi

Post by vivi »

quattrokid73 wrote:Why don't you take a week and switch off between the Caly3/Spin and Caly3/Dyad to get it hammered down?

You have all 3 now, right?

The Micro Dyad looks like a really cool knife. I'd like to see a picture of it in hand.
Yep, all three are currently mine. I'm carrying the UKPK clipped to right front, microdyad deep in the pocket and Spin in the 5th pocket of my jeans. I'm going to use them both for a while and decide which suits me better, then put the UKPK and the one I decide to let go towards a CF / ZDP189 Caly 3. So my EDC will be a ZDP Caly 3, Microdyad or Spin + something more heavy duty IWB when I feel like it.