Delica 4wave Perfect Selfdefence Knife

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
MANIXWORLD

Delica 4wave Perfect Selfdefence Knife

Post by MANIXWORLD »

I find that the D4W,has to be quite the perfect midsize knife for a selfdefence situation.
First off,the knife's ergo's are superb and the size makes the knife easily consealable.
The wave deployment makes it superfast to open the knife.Im sure the thinner bladeprofile can also increase penetration power.
Now the serrated version of the D4W would add just that more bitepower and slashpower to the D4W as a perfect knife for a selfdefence situation.
MW.
Blue72

Post by Blue72 »

nothing against the wave, I think its a great feature.

However since I train mostly in grappling, I find it sometimes hard to deploy when on the ground or against the wall. So I prefer to train with the standard spydie hole delica.

as a matter of fact since I travel alot and to cities such as Boston with severe restrictions to blade length I normally carry the dragonfly.
aj1985

Post by aj1985 »

dd61999 wrote:nothing against the wave, I think its a great feature.

However since I train mostly in grappling, I find it sometimes hard to deploy when on the ground or against the wall. So I prefer to train with the standard spydie hole delica.

as a matter of fact since I travel alot and to cities such as Boston with severe restrictions to blade length I normally carry the dragonfly.
Why would you be deploying the knife on the ground for a SD situation. If you have a knife and want to use it for SD shouldn't it be done when your on both feet.

Plus a knife for grappling if you really need one should be a fixed blade imo.
I always thought having a knife for SD meant that you keep the fight on the feet. I'm just a newb within Martial arts, but was just curious to ask.

aj

P.S where is kaligman when you need him :D
Live in every breath

INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE
Blue72

Post by Blue72 »

aj1985 wrote:Why would you be deploying the knife on the ground for a SD situation. If you have a knife and want to use it for SD shouldn't it be done when your on both feet.

Plus a knife for grappling if you really need one should be a fixed blade imo.
I always thought having a knife for SD meant that you keep the fight on the feet. I'm just a newb within Martial arts, but was just curious to ask.

aj

P.S where is kaligman when you need him :D
I train to react to a situation before deploying a knife because in some situations by the time you reach and deploy the knife it is to late. Since my first reaction would almost always land up in a take down. I will already be on the ground by the time I reach for my knife.

The knife is a great tool to cut your way out of various dangerous holds you might not be able to get out of during grappling on the ground, such as a triangle choke hold.

I find the wave is also difficult to deploy when sitting in a car or being pushed up against the wall. So I rather train being accustomed to using the spydie hole.

Fixed Blades are not an option for me, I travel alot for work and the places I frequent, they are not legal to carry.
cdf

Post by cdf »

I found the wave a tad too efficient , if you dont think bout what you are doing it comes out of the pocket open . Bad juju for most edc situations . I think the Endura wave might be better for you , length makes it more usefull as an impach device . Deffinately practice opening from a ground position , in a surprise encounter you stand a good chance of being knocked on your *** !The main use found for the wave , is picking billy cans off a camp fire .

Chris
LeeCQC

Post by LeeCQC »

I agree that the waved knives are not always that practical. During force-on-force drills, me and my training partners have discovered that opening a waved knife is tricky, and nearly impossible on the ground. Also, sometimes it is better to use a knife as a close-range impact tool, rather than deploy the blade automatically. For me, it's the Lava. Small, non-obtrusive, and devastating. :spyder:
Lee

Behold, I give unto you power to tread on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy: and nothing shall by any means hurt you. Luke 10:19

*Avatar thanks to Dialex :spyder:
Michael Cook

train hard and stay safe!

Post by Michael Cook »

:spyder: I like waves, I train with them. I play around with kinetic openings and various one-handed openings but for serious social encounters I train for two handed gross motor openings. I'll go for dependability over speed any day. :spyder:
More of what does not work will not work. Robin Cooper, Rokudan; Aikikai.

There is great power in the profound observation of the obvious. John Stone, Rokudan; Aikikai
cdf

Post by cdf »

Michael Cook wrote: :spyder: I like waves, I train with them. I play around with kinetic openings and various one-handed openings but for serious social encounters I train for two handed gross motor openings. I'll go for dependability over speed any day. :spyder:
Bingo ! What he said !!Lee , I would be all over the Lava , in G10 or peel ply CF , but no way in brushed stainless . Way to likely for a gross motor fumblefest

Chris
Puyallupknifegu

Post by Puyallupknifegu »

cdf wrote:Bingo ! What he said !!Lee , I would be all over the Lava , in G10 or peel ply CF , but no way in brushed stainless . Way to likely for a gross motor fumblefest

Chris

I too, am all over the Lava!! Love the little knife...would like to see it G10 or CF as well...what about CF over the top of the SS? I like the weight that the SS gives the little knife, especially for impact use. Also, I would love to see the lava with a wharncliffe blade...talk about SD ready!!!

What say you??

Tim
God bless!
-Puyalluknifeguy-

Si Vis Pacem Para bellum
LeeCQC

Post by LeeCQC »

Well, I find that it has a pretty secure grip, even in a simulated-stress situation, despite being stainless steel. And, as was mentioned, the materials give it good weight, which is needed for use as an impact weapon. If it were made with, say, FRN handles... it wouldnt be as effective, imo. But, as I always say... to each their own. :spyder:
Lee

Behold, I give unto you power to tread on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy: and nothing shall by any means hurt you. Luke 10:19

*Avatar thanks to Dialex :spyder: