Which Bladesteel Is Closest To H1?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
messer454

Post by messer454 »

Swam with my VG10 Endura 3 in the ocean for 3 days. It was wet in salt water all day. I washed it out with freshwater every night the dried off. I didn't have any oil. No harm that I could see. It was rather stiff without lubricant though.
MAT888

Post by MAT888 »

the most important in salt water enviroment is to rinse the knive with fresh water and dry them. It should prevent rust ... A little minarel oil afterwards even better.
messer454 wrote:Swam with my VG10 Endura 3 in the ocean for 3 days. It was wet in salt water all day. I washed it out with freshwater every night the dried off. I didn't have any oil. No harm that I could see. It was rather stiff without lubricant though.
MANIXWORLD

Post by MANIXWORLD »

SimpleIsGood229 wrote:440V is simply another name for CPM S60V, which is completely different from 440C.

I don't understand MW's question, either. :confused: H1 is the obvious answer to what I think he's asking.
I know H1 is super corrosion resistant.
I was asking if any other steel closely resembles the excellent corrosion resistancy that H1 does.
Which bladesteel was Spyderco using before H1 was introduced?
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

MANIXWORLD wrote:I know H1 is super corrosion resistant.
I was asking if any other steel closely resembles the excellent corrosion resistancy that H1 does.
Which bladesteel was Spyderco using before H1 was introduced?
Guess the Mariner would be the best example to use. Started out in AUS-8. Was switched to GIN-1 which, while somewhat less corrosion resistant was tougher and offered better edge holding. Next change was to ATS-55 and then to VG-10. So, even though this knife was designed for use around water, corrosion resistance was never the prime factor in steel selection. Probably because, at any point in time in that environment, the difference in rust resistance between the one which is most rust resistant and still holds a decent edge, and the one which retains its edge longest has been relatively minor.

H1 changed the rules of the game. It is not rust resistant. It simply does not rust. For that, going down a few notches on the edge holding scale becomes a legitimate trade off, at least for certain applications.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
SimpleIsGood229

Post by SimpleIsGood229 »

The Deacon wrote:Guess the Mariner would be the best example to use. Started out in AUS-8. Was switched to GIN-1 which, while somewhat less corrosion resistant was tougher and offered better edge holding. Next change was to ATS-55 and then to VG-10. So, even though this knife was designed for use around water, corrosion resistance was never the prime factor in steel selection. Probably because, at any point in time in that environment, the difference in rust resistance between the one which is most rust resistant and still holds a decent edge, and the one which retains its edge longest has been relatively minor.

H1 changed the rules of the game. It is not rust resistant. It simply does not rust. For that, going down a few notches on the edge holding scale becomes a legitimate trade off, at least for certain applications.
Spot on, Deacon!
God Bless Texas!
[RIGHT]Avatar courtesy of Dialex[/RIGHT]
Μολὼν λαβέ

2009 - Birth of the H-1 Spyderhawk! Thank you, Sal!
MANIXWORLD

Post by MANIXWORLD »

The Deacon wrote:Guess the Mariner would be the best example to use. Started out in AUS-8. Was switched to GIN-1 which, while somewhat less corrosion resistant was tougher and offered better edge holding. Next change was to ATS-55 and then to VG-10. So, even though this knife was designed for use around water, corrosion resistance was never the prime factor in steel selection. Probably because, at any point in time in that environment, the difference in rust resistance between the one which is most rust resistant and still holds a decent edge, and the one which retains its edge longest has been relatively minor.

Thanx Deacon,this was the answer i was looking for.
I like to know more on the history of bladesteels,specially Spyderco history and bladesteels used by Spyderco.
I appreciate all the valueable info i get on the forums and from experienced hands on blades and their edgeholding etc.,my knifeknut side needs more data.
thanx again Deacon.