Streetbeat review

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Rex G

Post by Rex G »

Very good review! I have really been looking at this knife on-line for a while; this review pushes me more toward buying, though I may wait until I can handle one at the Blade Show, to be sure.
Civilians, Dodo, Guntings, Mili, P'kal, Rescues, Ronins, Temperance, others...

Have Colt, will travel.
mr.vu

Post by mr.vu »

Great review Mr. Blonde, and great pictures. The Street Beat is one of my favorite Spydercos.

Vu
SimpleIsGood229

Post by SimpleIsGood229 »

Wouter,

What a GREAT review of the Street Beat! I just so happen to have one on the way to me, so this helps to tide me over. :D

I see that the edge is relatively thin. Have you mic'd it? I'm just curious as to what I should expect when my SB arrives. Thanks!

P.S. I know I'm digging this up, but I'm not apologizing since this is a really great SB review!
God Bless Texas!
[RIGHT]Avatar courtesy of Dialex[/RIGHT]
Μολὼν λαβέ

2009 - Birth of the H-1 Spyderhawk! Thank you, Sal!
Capt. Carl

Post by Capt. Carl »

I love my streetbeat. It is the perfect urban fixed blade. Mine came with a bevel of a little over 40 inclusive, but I have been very unlucky lately with getting thin factory edges. Maybe spyderco has been making them thicker?
Michael Cook

Post by Michael Cook »

:spyder: I too am very smitten with my street beat, it has the thinnest edge of any of my spydies including my caly jr.s. Awesome legal anywhere knife! :spyder:
More of what does not work will not work. Robin Cooper, Rokudan; Aikikai.

There is great power in the profound observation of the obvious. John Stone, Rokudan; Aikikai
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

SimpleIsGood229 wrote:I see that the edge is relatively thin. Have you mic'd it? I'm just curious as to what I should expect when my SB arrives. Thanks!
I'm not sure what you mean. I've used a 30 degree angle at first, but have now settled on a 40degree angle. I use 40degrees on most of my VG-10 and S30V blades. I usually reserve the 30 degree angle for the exotic steels like ZDP189 and D2.

Out of the box, I think you can expect a 30 degrees inclusive angle on the SB.

Wouter
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-28-2024 Instagram
v34

Post by v34 »

An unexpected use of this wee knife is that it is now my 'Sgian Dhu' or black knife in the top of my sock when I wear a kilt.
The general Sgian Dhu is not a proper blade and is for show but the Street Beat was worn at a wedding recently and was much admired at the table when it came time to open food from picnic hampers, trim flowers etc.
The sheath could do with being trimmer-but I might order another sans holes in a fold over style to be slimmer overall.
Great review and nothing else to add.
A real sleeper of a Spyderco.
bell

V34

Post by bell »

You gotta give us a pic of the Street Beat and your Kilt.
SimpleIsGood229

Mr Blonde wrote:I'm not sure what you mean.
I'm sorry; I should've been more clear. I'm wondering if you've measured the thickness behind the edge with a micrometer.
God Bless Texas!
Μολὼν λαβέ

arzh

Post by arzh »

here the street beat of a friend
le leather seath was made by André Ughetti

Mr blonde's website fan's :spyder:
http://www.spydercollector.nl
Blades

Post by Blades »

I have a Street Beat on the way. Looking forward to it. I hope it is as nice as my Perrin Bowie I traded for it. We'll find out.

Blades
--Jason--
sal

Post by sal »

Beautiful sheath Arzh. Nicely done.

Thanx for the confidence Blades. I think you'll like it. The Street-beat is a custom quality production fixed blade with a very well thought out refined design.

A Classic Fred Perrin.

sal
Blades

Post by Blades »

Thanks Mr. Glesser. I hope so, I really liked my Perrin Bowie, but the Street Beat has been calling my name. :)

Jason
--Jason--
Michael Cook

train hard and stay safe!

Post by Michael Cook »

:spyder: You'll love the street beat, the more manageable (and explainable length) make it an even better urban defense blade than the big perrin bowie. :) :spyder:
More of what does not work will not work. Robin Cooper, Rokudan; Aikikai.

There is great power in the profound observation of the obvious. John Stone, Rokudan; Aikikai
Blades

Post by Blades »

Michael Cook wrote: :spyder: You'll love the street beat, the more manageable (and explainable length) make it an even better urban defense blade than the big perrin bowie. :) :spyder:
We'll see. I had my handle on my bowie wrapped with Tommy Tape to make it alittle thicker, I think that is one thing about the Steet Beat that I liked the look of, the handle. It looks more filling then my bowie.
:) If I am lucky it will show up today. :)

Jason
--Jason--
SimpleIsGood229

Blades wrote:Thanks Mr. Glesser. I hope so, I really liked my Perrin Bowie, but the Street Beat has been calling my name. :)

Jason
You'll love it! As Sal said, it is a very refined design. The choil, especially, is very nice; the SB won't come out of your hand unless you open your hand!

To be honest, though, my individual example isn't quite custom-quality concerning the F&F. However, the defects do NOTHING to affect the utility of the blade. They're either so unnoticable you'd almost have to be OCD to find them :p , or they're still very minor and do NOT affect the utility of the knife. Even with those very minor defects, it is one heckuva knife, especially when the price in brought into consideration!

The micarta is very nicely fit to the tang, which is very important to me. The grind is VERY even and aside from the afore-mentioned defects, the rest of the F&F is very good.

Bottom line
I'm very, very happy with my Street Beat!
God Bless Texas!
Μολὼν λαβέ

SimpleIsGood229

Leather sheaths aren't my bag o' chips, but that is a very nice one! Nicely done!
God Bless Texas!
Μολὼν λαβέ

WhiteWillie

Post by WhiteWillie »

Great review and pics Mr. Blond. The Street Beat looks like a natural for urban carry.
Mr. Bill

Old guys just know stuff!

:spyder: ATR PE
:spyder: Chinook III
:spyder: Lil' Temperance PE
:spyder: Manix PE
:spyder: Mini-Manix PE
:spyder: Native Black Blade SE
:spyder: Native III PE
:spyder: Para Military (S30V)
:spyder: Spyderfly
Blades

Post by Blades »

Well my Street Beat has arrived. Still "playing" with it, it is sharp, one of my son's friends was looking at it tonight at church, and it "got" him. He said it didn't hurt at all, but it wouldn't stop bleeding.
SO far I like it, but the sheath rattles like a baby toy. I might have to send it in for a new sheath. I don't think I can "iron" this one to help tighten it up.

Jason
--Jason--
bladese97

Post by bladese97 »

:spyder: :spyder: :cool: :spyder: :spyder: Sweet!!!! I really should save for one of these! Great pics!
:spyder: :spyder: :cool: :spyder: :spyder: "Spyderco...does a pocket good":spyder:
Spyderco Rocks!!!! "A wise man once said all knives were created equal...Obviously, he meant Spydercos''
As of 1-29-08, I am a proud member of Knife Rights!