The Best Large "Suit Knife?"

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Firefighter880

The Best Large "Suit Knife?"

Post by Firefighter880 »

Howdy Everyone,

Just had a question for some of you who might happen to wear a suit (or dress slacks) to work for a living.

I figured there are probably some plain clothes LEO's, detectives, or private sector workers on this forum who regularly wear a suit to work and pack a blade. I've been trying to find a good knife that I can easily carry with a suit or dress slacks. Most of my knives are of the bigger, heavier type (Manix, SMF, GB, Mili, etc).... and those just aren't the best for clipping to the pocket of a suit. I mean, if they tear the pocket out of my jeans, the dress slacks fabric will surely be shot probably after only one time of pulling the knife out of the pocket.

I'd like to find a nice knife that is a little bit easier on the pocket of dress slacks, but I would still like a good size blade (not really looking for a Kopa or anything like that). I have a Lava which would work, but that is more of a back-up blade for me. And I also want to keep the clip, which makes it a little bit more difficult to find. I just don't like removing the clip and dropping the knife in my pocket (I lose too much stuff that way).

I'm thinking maybe a Stainless Endura or something of the like.... Not a huge fan of SS, but I figure this will be much easier on the pants pocket.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks!

:spyder:
[CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]

[CENTER]"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgement that something else is more important than fear." [/CENTER]

Current Spyders: Civilian, Matriarch, Endura 3 CE, Endura 4 CE, Endura 4 SE, SS Endura 4 SE, Lava, Manix CE

Spyders of the Past: ATR, BlackHawk, Bob Lum Tanto, Chinook 3, Dodo, Gunting, Karambit, Lil Temp, Manix PE, Para Mili, Ronin, Yojimbo, Mili, Native
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

IF you can find one, the C54BMP Calypso is just the ticket. It feels even lighter than my CF Military, is only slightly thicker than the SS Police, the smooth Micarta won't tear up your clothes and provides a good grip, even wet. Four inch flat ground blade of VG-10 provides plenty of cutting power. The only down side is you have to mug a collector to get one anymore.

The new Stretch II will probably be almost as good.
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
malice4you

Post by malice4you »

I wanted a dress knife' for when I'm not wearing jeans. I came up with a number of ideas, but i went with a Volpe. I think I made the right choice. I would go for almost any SS handled knife, but the Volpe seems like the perfect knife for this task IMO. The price helped a lot - if you look, you can get them for really cheap while they are still in stock. I got my volpe for less than a SS endura usually costs.

The other knife I considered for a 'dress knife' was a Caly III in CF/ZDP. This is a more expensive option, but it seems like a very classy knife that wouldn't stand out too much.

hope that helps.
zozo

Coat pocket

Post by zozo »

I've found with a suit coat or a sport coat, that the outside coat pocket is a very handy place to keep an unclipped knife. It's discreet, but easily accessible. My Caly III sits nicely in that pocket and balances out the weight of my cell phone on the opposite inside pocket.

I've tried several different knives clipped to my slacks pockets, but they're just murder on the fabric.
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

The R2 -if you can find one- would be a great larger knife for suits. It's thin, light, smooth and grippy at the same time.

Wouter
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
RLR

Post by RLR »

Large suit knife doesn't exist in my opinion. Because of cut and cloth of a nice suit, anything makes it bulge or pull. I always drop a Spin or Cricket in pocket and that's it. OK, maybe a Mnandi clipped to the shirt pocket...
GradeMaker

Post by GradeMaker »

SS Police or E4 but IWB rather than the pocket.
ozspyder

Post by ozspyder »

Large Persian....if you can find one
Cheers
Daniel (Certified Persian & Kopa nut)
Facebook profile: https://www.facebook.com/ozspyder
:spyder: I love my: Persians, Kopas, and Lums
:spyder: * Daniel's Spyderco Hoard *
:spyder: * Ozspyder's Kopa Kabana *
KaliGman

Options

Post by KaliGman »

I wear a suit most of the time now (Oh, how the mighty have fallen:rolleyes :) . I actually carry a Mili sometimes--it is light enough not to "sag" the typical dress pant pocket (which is constructed of much less sturdy fabric than Dockers or "business casual' wear). Of course, I have also carried an ATR, Manix, and a few other large folders on occasion ;) .

Lava, Emerson Combat Karambit, Boker Trance, Lum Chinese, Jess Horn, Delica, Emerson HD7, Kris (surprisingly suit pocket friendly), and some others work well. A Spydercard fits nicely in a breast pocket of a suit.

After seeing the prototype and playing with it a bit, I have the Stretch II on order--it is light, thin, and will make a great suit knife. I think that you would like it--classy and a fairly good size blade.
"There is no weapon more deadly than the will." Bruce Lee

"The most pervasive and least condemned form of dishonesty is not doing the best you can." Colonel Jeff Cooper
Stevie Ray

Post by Stevie Ray »

Been down the path. FRN Delica III.... I'd lose the clip with the suit, but ... to each his own...

:spyder:
Steve
drf

Post by drf »

yablanowitz wrote:IF you can find one, the C54BMP Calypso is just the ticket. It feels even lighter than my CF Military, is only slightly thicker than the SS Police, the smooth Micarta won't tear up your clothes and provides a good grip, even wet. Four inch flat ground blade of VG-10 provides plenty of cutting power. The only down side is you have to mug a collector to get one anymore.

The new Stretch II will probably be almost as good.
I couldn't agree more about the C54.

However wouldn't the peel ply caron fiber on the stretch tear up pants?
SimpleIsGood229

Post by SimpleIsGood229 »

I suggest the Centofante 3 or 4.
God Bless Texas!
[RIGHT]Avatar courtesy of Dialex[/RIGHT]
Μολὼν λαβέ

2009 - Birth of the H-1 Spyderhawk! Thank you, Sal!
EarthDog

Post by EarthDog »

datan wrote:Large Persian....if you can find one
Roger that!

Also, the JD Smith.

The smooth micarta on both of these is easy on the fabric. The ergs are good.

btw, I recently saw a JD Smith in ATS-34 (SE) in a local shop.
EarthDog
Knifewing

Post by Knifewing »

I totally agree about going with a micarta handle. Very smooth coming out of the pocket. I'd suggest (if you can find one for a reasonable price) a Goddard, especially the mid-size Goddard Jr. It's a tremendous knife and the black clip blends in with darker slacks well. The full-size Wayne Goddard is a little big IMO, kind of like the JD Smith, but workable, too...
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

The JD Smith would be great.

I run into a similar problem with wearing scrubs at work. Anything too heavy and my pocket sags. Past work EDCs have been a Blue Handled 93mm Rescue (weight was fine, but a bit too long) and the ZDP-189 Calypso Jr. Pretty much settled on the Delica 4 now and carry the BRG ZDP-189 SE Delica.

Only custom option I've looked at is the Jens Anso Rebel. Might happen depending on my Christmas bonus.
"A Delica is still a better weapon than a keyboard and a sour attitude..." Michael Janich
bh49

Post by bh49 »

datan wrote:Large Persian....if you can find one

I carry C83 Persian on dress up occations (with Caly3 or Kopa). I think it is good choice, the best for me at least. They started to show up on e-bay more often and lately price dropped. Today one almost new was sold under $90
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... :IT&ih=013
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
ozspyder

Post by ozspyder »

bh49 wrote:I carry C83 Persian on dress up occations (with Caly3 or Kopa). I think it is good choice, the best for me at least. They started to show up on e-bay more often and lately price dropped. Today one almost new was sold under $90
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... :IT&ih=013

Glad you agree.....it is one classy blade isn't it Roman :D ;)

That eBay auction unfortunately wouldn't ship anywhere outside of US. Otherwise I was going to be all over it like a rash :p

Caly 3 in CF dress would also be an ideal suit knife as it is smoother on the Armani's :eek: than the G10 would be. Also the wire clip is a much better proposition on the suit than the traditional clips. It grips just as well IMHO, but slips on and off without much damage to clothing. Thought you did ask for a LARGE knife. Caly 3 would not be considered large.

Maybe a CF Military :eek: Now THAT is a large knife (ok, no Crocodile Dundee jokes ....not too many at least ;) )

Cheers
Dan
Cheers
Daniel (Certified Persian & Kopa nut)
Facebook profile: https://www.facebook.com/ozspyder
:spyder: I love my: Persians, Kopas, and Lums
:spyder: * Daniel's Spyderco Hoard *
:spyder: * Ozspyder's Kopa Kabana *
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

drf wrote:I couldn't agree more about the C54.

However wouldn't the peel ply caron fiber on the stretch tear up pants?
Since I don't own either a suit or a Stretch II, I can't give you an answer to this one. I do plan to own one of these in the near future, can you guess which? :D
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

there are lots of fine choices... what you decide may come down to if you:

1) expect to do a good deal of cutting
2) are carrying the knife only for occassional cutting, and more for impressing those around you

if your answer is 1 -- the R2, big calypso (if you dare to carry it!!), CF stretch II. these are practical, hard-working designs that look amazing.

if 2, you may want to "go exotic" and choose a more unusual blade shape. (that's what i'd do, at least!) the big persian, kris, the smith (not exactly "exotic," but the tip's a little too pointy for EDC abuse... great for SD, though!), the large micarta dyad, or even an ayoob would all be excellent choices.

my usual choices are smith or the big persian for wowing/confusing people, and the R2 PE for when i know i'm going to be doing actual cutting.

keep in mind, it's very possible to take ANY large spydie knife, and have sante fe or someone like STR pimp and customize it for you...
Firefighter880

Post by Firefighter880 »

yablanowitz wrote:Since I don't own either a suit or a Stretch II, I can't give you an answer to this one. I do plan to own one of these in the near future, can you guess which? :D
I'm guessing the suit!!!!

:D
[CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]

[CENTER]"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgement that something else is more important than fear." [/CENTER]

Current Spyders: Civilian, Matriarch, Endura 3 CE, Endura 4 CE, Endura 4 SE, SS Endura 4 SE, Lava, Manix CE

Spyders of the Past: ATR, BlackHawk, Bob Lum Tanto, Chinook 3, Dodo, Gunting, Karambit, Lil Temp, Manix PE, Para Mili, Ronin, Yojimbo, Mili, Native