Dragonfly Upgrade ?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
John G.

Dragonfly Upgrade ?

Post by John G. »

I seem to remember a thread saying the Dragonfly was getting upgraded to screws, adjustable pivot, and removeable clip - but I can't find it...

Anyone know when the upgrade is likely to be available ?

Also, I can't remember - is the Dragonfly likely to come in a G10 version ? Anyone have a custom G10 one and know the weight ?

Thanks.
sharkattack

Post by sharkattack »

I have a Dragonfly SS and it's built like a small tank. It does have the removeable clip BTW, but I'm guessing you are talking about the FRN version, right?

FWIW, I love my little Dragonfly. Very practical for carrying in the office or other places that might not be so knife friendly. It's small and unassuming, but it cuts like a razor.
My collection so far: Delica SS PE, Delica 4 FRN PE, Endura FRN SE, Manix 2 G10 PE. Since I've officially been bitten by the bug, the collection is sure to grow... :)
JPatrick

Post by JPatrick »

I think you may be remembering a post about a modification that Tricod did to put G10 scales on a Dragonfly about a month back.

See http://spyderco.com/forums/showthread.p ... =dragonfly

In that thread, Sal said that it looked good and that, "maybe we should copy you." It wasn't a commitment to a new version, but at least a hint that it would be considered at some point.

I think it would be a great idea. The FRN D'fly needs an update, and a G10 upgrade would do well IMHO.
Alteran

Post by Alteran »

I would love a dragonfly like with a low-rider wire clip and blue/FG G10. It would be my ideal EDC if it also had a better rest for your pinky. A dragonfly 3, if you will.
b-elliott

Post by b-elliott »

I would totally buy it if they copied Tricod's knife. I wouldn't change a single detail (except maybe the steel to vg-10, S30V, or the ever popular ZDP which I guess would depend on where it's made)
-------------------------------------------------------

Brent Elliott :spyder:
JPatrick

Post by JPatrick »

IIRC, the D'flys come out of Japan, so VG10 or ZDP would be the options. I would think that VG10 would be the logical choice for a regular catalog item because the blades for the SS model would work with only a minor modification of the hole for the screwed pivot pin. It would be a easier, therefore less expensive, change to the basic design.
carrot

Post by carrot »

The D'fly really does deserve to be Caly3-fied. It is an excellent knife that could probably only be improved with G-10 and some jimping. Maybe the old FRN mold could be used to make a D'fly Salt.
Latest :spyder: -- Blurple Para2