Am I just fickle?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Jenner 515

Am I just fickle?

Post by Jenner 515 »

When I first got my full-size Manix PE almost three years ago I was convinced that this was "The perfect EDC knife for me" and it was. I carried it about 75% of the time, opting for something smaller for dress occaisions.

It was solid, sharper than heck, resharpened pretty easily and fit my grip pretty good.

There were a few drawbacks...It was a pocketfull, and not the friendliest to NKP. But I was convinced that this was my EDC to the end.

THen I got a Foliage Green D2 Military.

I've owned other Millies. A PE 5 years ago that I broke the tip off of, and traded and a BB CE 4 years ago that I just traded. Neither worked for me they felt, I don't know...insubstantial in hand compared to the Manix? Nothing wrong with the cutting power of either knife...they just didn't feel...right.

This new Military feels great, rides better in the pocket than the Manix, the Foliage Green seems more Sheeple friendly and the D2 is awesome.

So I freely admit that I am fickle, perhaps being too committed to the Manix, perhaps not giving previous Millies a chance.

This is a great knife and my EDC to the end. That is until my next favorite.

Anybody else feel the way I do?
I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I wouldn't call that being fickle, I think most people tend to stick with something they like, but that tastes and needs do change over time, so eventually something one might not have cared for becomes more suitable than whatever is our current favorite. But we don't owe tools the same type of loyalty we owe friends, so changing from one to another should not carry any stigma.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Jenner 515

Post by Jenner 515 »

Thanks Deacon, that is what I was searching for.

I've tried to maintain brand loyalty in this hobby of ours, and was under the belief that Model loyalty was just as important.

My thinking was that my grandfather carried the same Case pocketknife for forty years. Why couldn't I be "faithful" (?) to one knife same as him?

Is it an increase in the number of choices available today, or the quicker adapations of products to customer demands and input that have some of us hopping from model to model, brand to brand more frequently than our predecessors? (I think I just answered my own question, of course it is) Advertising and venues such as the internet and forums such as this one give all of us a much greater choice.

But you know, I am still looking for "the one" that I'll carry for 40 years, riding in my pocket everyday. I hope that when I find it it'll be a Spyderco (I kinda' like the Company and their products.)

Is that too simplistic of a goal or simply a rationalization for this Hobby of Collecting and purchasing knives?
Murdoc

Post by Murdoc »

Interesting questions, Jenner...

one thing comes to my mind: why do you WANT to stick to just ONE knife?

You already realizied yourself that there are different situations in life ("[...]dress occasions[...]") which require different knives, which would mean that there is not THE ONE knife for it all.

Nowadays, knifemakers like Sal & Co. take that into account and design knives for various tasks and make them available to us. So why shouldn't we benefit from that and pick more than one knife that are best suited for our variable (NOT fickle!) needs?

On top of that, of course sticking to only one knife means to lock yourself out all the fun we have with all the beautiful models of :spyder: :-) -> no Spyderco collecting at all... *shudder*

I'd suggest instead of "THE ONE" you cherish your first Spydie as "the FIRST OF ALL"; that's what I do with mine even though I more or less ruined it with my sub-perfect Sharpmaker skills :) But OTOH, I recently treated it with a special custom flat grind, so it is even more special now... :D

Enjoy all your knives! I sure do!

Dennis
Kaizen

Post by Kaizen »

If I were you, I'd be having fun with both knives. Nothing like having multiple quality options for EDC rotation.
Also "Kaizen1" on BF, "ignoramus" on CPF & EDCF. "kaizenrei" on KF, "Kaizen" on USN.
Jenner 515

Post by Jenner 515 »

Good responses guys, thanks.

Maybe "The One" knife is an outmoded stereotype, an anachronism. But I have publicly proclaimed that the reason I had so many knives was because I was looking for "The One" I just hadn't found it yet.

It strikes me as a romantic (?) notion that there is one "go to" tool that is a part of everyday. So that it is automatic when you clip into your RFP (or however you carry your EDC).

For me, over the last ten years at least, it has never been just one knife despite my attempts to make it all about one knife. I think perhaps I am a bit envious of the (lets call em) Old Timers who only had one knife and that's all they needed.

I appreciate all my Spydies and to a greater or lesser degree they all get a chance to play.

I don't know where I was going with this other to proclaim my newfound admiration for the Millie, and to lament the relegation of my faithful Manix to the Junior Varsity.
Agent Starling

i like to keep things simple...

Post by Agent Starling »

Variety is the spice of life...why stick to just one knife...i myself like a whole variety of hawkbills ;) ...and other knives as well. i could not coerce myself to choose a favorite, it's almost like comparing apples to oranges IMHO...just have fun, there are no rules on how to pursue your knife hobby or whatever u want to call it...no rules insofar as, just use what knives serve your purposes, add to your collection, whatever your thing may be, try not to judge it and have fun exploring all that the wide world of cutlery has to offer! :D

just my $0.02.

Agent Starling
"Too many was too many, but way too many was just right."
Lostification
Location: Sunset Beach - Haleiwa - Oahu - Hawaii - USA - Earth - Milky Way - 2ZS467 XD1 211 - Ä↔ôáÖºî±&#

Post by Lostification »

Kaizen wrote:If I were you, I'd be having fun with both knives. Nothing like having multiple quality options for EDC rotation.
It's simple, his view. Do you marry more than one person?

Jenner, are you not allowed to have friends after you get married? :o

Hope that helps.
Para-Military - CPM S30V
Delica - VG-10
Tasman Salt - H1
jujigatame

Post by jujigatame »

Jenner 515 wrote:Good responses guys, thanks.

Maybe "The One" knife is an outmoded stereotype, an anachronism. But I have publicly proclaimed that the reason I had so many knives was because I was looking for "The One" I just hadn't found it yet.

It strikes me as a romantic (?) notion that there is one "go to" tool that is a part of everyday. So that it is automatic when you clip into your RFP (or however you carry your EDC).

For me, over the last ten years at least, it has never been just one knife despite my attempts to make it all about one knife. I think perhaps I am a bit envious of the (lets call em) Old Timers who only had one knife and that's all they needed.

I appreciate all my Spydies and to a greater or lesser degree they all get a chance to play.

I don't know where I was going with this other to proclaim my newfound admiration for the Millie, and to lament the relegation of my faithful Manix to the Junior Varsity.
I get what you're saying about a romantic notion. I think everyone has them in one area or another. In the case of knives, though, if you find another that works better as the tool you need then I would ascribe that more weight than the sentiment when it comes to an EDC. In the present time when there are great technological developments and so many more choices compared to what was available to the old timers, it's understandably hard to stick to only one thing. Rather than lamenting the fact that one knife is on the JV, you can celebrate that it served you so well for so long. I can't speak for Spyderco, but I suspect they would be pleased with a knife used and enjoyed as much as your Manix was.
~ Nate
Native Justice

Post by Native Justice »

For some people, the loyalty to a particular knife is event or situation oriented. Like for instance the grandparent who carries his old case because it's the knife he cut the dozen roses he gave to his wife the night he proposed and she accepted ...

I know lots of people like that, most military, ex-vietnam vets, who still carry a particular gun, knife, etc. because it's a remembrance of battle, skirmish, etc., that they shouldn't have gotten out of but did because of that weapon.

Something to think about ...

NJ
Be safe.

NJ

“The strength of an individual is not measured by how much one can control others, but by how much one can control oneself.” Hidy Ochiai
GronK

Post by GronK »

I've gone through some changes because of this very subject. Just when I decide one knife is "the one" I find a need that knife won't meet. I finally decided "the one" knife is like "the one" screwdriver. You need a perfect #2 philips, and perfect 1/4" flat tip, a set of torx, two sets of allen (sae and metric), etc. etc. etc. Different tools for different jobs.
Think Twice, Post Once!
GronK
Jenner 515

Post by Jenner 515 »

Maybe the term I was looking for was not Loyalty or Dedication or Romance. Maybe it was Sentimentality.

I like that...Sentimentality, not a bad trait.

However upon further refelection sentimentality should probably not be the only factor in deciding which tool is the best to carry. Performance, applicability to a particular job, monetary constraints, other environmental factors should all be tallied in making a decision as to what tool one chooses to use.

A close relation in my opinion to sentimentality is Novelty. So I turn the questions back to you the Spyderco Fanbase.

Ever Used a Spyderco for a job...even though it may have been the wrong tool for the job because of sentimentality? I'm guilty of using above referenced Manix to clean my fingernails...I was EDCing it and it was what I had.

Ever Used a Spyderco for a job...even though it may have been the wrong tool for the job because of the novelty of the Spyderco? I've tried to cut steak with both a Spyderfly and a Civilian. (have I mentioned I don't always think things through?)

Ever Not Used a Spyderco for a job...even though it may have been the correct tool for the job because of sentimentality?

What say you?
Kaizen

Post by Kaizen »

Lostification wrote:It's simple, his view. Do you marry more than one person?
I'm not sure what you're implying. Please elaborate.
Also "Kaizen1" on BF, "ignoramus" on CPF & EDCF. "kaizenrei" on KF, "Kaizen" on USN.
Michael Cook

Post by Michael Cook »

:spyder: I'm on my third wife, so I'm not sure what you mean. :cool: :spyder:
More of what does not work will not work. Robin Cooper, Rokudan; Aikikai.

There is great power in the profound observation of the obvious. John Stone, Rokudan; Aikikai
Lostification
Location: Sunset Beach - Haleiwa - Oahu - Hawaii - USA - Earth - Milky Way - 2ZS467 XD1 211 - Ä↔ôáÖºî±&#

Post by Lostification »

Ok, do you marry more than one person at a time?!!!! lol.... :D
Para-Military - CPM S30V
Delica - VG-10
Tasman Salt - H1
Kaizen

Post by Kaizen »

Lostification,

I just thought it was a pretty sarcastic comment, but I want to give you the benefit of the doubt. My suggestion was an attempt to give Jenner a different perspective to maybe see a brighter side of his situation.

The way I interpreted your comment was that you were equating EDC rotation to polygamy. Which I would find as ridiculous as asking "Do you make love to your knife?".
Kaizen

Post by Kaizen »

My last post is in no way intended to insult Jenner's idea of "the one" knife. I can respect that view and I believe I understand the romanticism that he sees in such a perspective. I personally think that it's limiting oneself from enjoyment of a lot of cool knives, but coming from Jenner perspective, I can also see how it might not be. To each his own.
Lostification

Post by Lostification »

Kaizen wrote:Lostification,

I just thought it was a pretty sarcastic comment, but I want to give you the benefit of the doubt. My suggestion was an attempt to give Jenner a different perspective to maybe see a brighter side of his situation.

The way I interpreted your comment was that you were equating EDC rotation to polygamy. Which I would find as ridiculous as asking "Do you make love to your knife?".
It's a metaphor... In knife terms, USING the knife might be considered "making love" or whatever you want to call it. Besides, I didn't state that the metaphor was completely perfect. If you don't understand the simple moral I was trying to put across, try not to complicate it. If you do understand, then good. I don't know what your getting all offended about... :confused:

I wasn't being sarcastic, I was essentially summing up everything that had been said in a cute little metaphor. What's the big deal?
Para-Military - CPM S30V
Delica - VG-10
Tasman Salt - H1
Kaizen

Post by Kaizen »

Lostification wrote:It's a metaphor... In knife terms, USING the knife might be considered "making love" or whatever you want to call it. Besides, I didn't state that the metaphor was completely perfect. If you don't understand the simple moral I was trying to put across, try not to complicate it. If you do understand, then good. I don't know what your getting all offended about... :confused:

I wasn't being sarcastic, I was essentially summing up everything that had been said in a cute little metaphor. What's the big deal?
No big deal, I really just didn't understand what you were saying.
MAT888

Post by MAT888 »

Native Justice wrote:For some people, the loyalty to a particular knife is event or situation oriented. Like for instance the grandparent who carries his old case because it's the knife he cut the dozen roses he gave to his wife the night he proposed and she accepted ...

I know lots of people like that, most military, ex-vietnam vets, who still carry a particular gun, knife, etc. because it's a remembrance of battle, skirmish, etc., that they shouldn't have gotten out of but did because of that weapon.

Something to think about ...

NJ
Hi NJ i second your emotion

this little fixie was carried by me in active service and past along to a friend of mine after i left the job. After he past away being killed on the job it was given back by his wife to me. I had a very hard time loosin this friend and for some ridiculous reason i still edc the knive sometimes. Its an old german knive dont know the brand was given to me by my father 31 years ago.

Cheers Maarten :cool:

I would like to see more of these interesting threads