Newbie Here

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
quattrokid73

Newbie Here

Post by quattrokid73 »

Hey,

This is my first post here. I've been roaming the forums for a few weeks now researching sharpeners and such, and my account just got activated. I've been into knives for a while now, but it's time I got more serious with my knowledge and collection. I have a PE Copilot that I just love. My girlfriend got it for my birthday last year. I've been through a lot of other good knives and it's always Spyderco that comes back as my favorite. Their attention to design and quality is by far the most well rounded of the major cutlery brands.

I am in my third year of college. I spent two studying digital art and design. I got bored though, and now I am going to school for industrial design in San Francisco. Next year I will be trained in our metals shop. I plan on designing and fabricating some knives of my own.

Recently I bought an etched PE Cricket and Spin. I am going to make matching lanyards for both and give the Cricket to my younger brother for Christmas. If any of you can help me out with some advice on lanyards, it would be awesome! I see a lot in the lanyard thread that I like, but I have no clue what braids they are...I just picked up a sharpmaker too and it really renewed the edge on my Copilot. The only bad thing is there are some nicks in the ceramic rods. I can simply rotate to a good side, but it's annoying.

-Thanks! Adam

stonyman

Post by stonyman »

Welcome quattrokid73. You will be in good company around here! Stay tuned, I am sure that your overal knowledge base will increase substantially about spyderco blades. Take care and God Bless! :D
enyong112

Post by enyong112 »

Welcome quattrokid73!!!! :) Hope soon when you make knives we can afford those.... hehehehehe :D
Cool as Ice... Clear like Water...
Kaizen

Post by Kaizen »

Welcome to the forums Adam :) . Glad to see another Bay Area person on these forums.
Also "Kaizen1" on BF, "ignoramus" on CPF & EDCF. "kaizenrei" on KF, "Kaizen" on USN.
Alteran

Post by Alteran »

How do you find the ergonomics on the copilot compared to the others?
EarthDog

Post by EarthDog »

Welcome, Adam. With your interest and education I bet you will both benefit and contribute a lot on these forums. Some very knowledgeable guys participate here, and they are very generous with their knowledge and experience. And Sal and Kristi create a great environment.

Enjoy.
EarthDog
quattrokid73

Post by quattrokid73 »

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!

When I get a chance to make my own work, I plan on selling it at a reasonable price.

Also, if any of you are interested, I build and fly RC Helicopters and airplanes. I am an industry sponsored test pilot for Mikado and Hacker brushless systems through Aero Model Inc.

Kaizen, what places in downtown SF can I get knives and knivey things? We be knives on Pier 39 has a lot. That's where I got my Sharpmaker. I still need some 550 cord though! I also need it for the teapot I'm making right now.

As for the Copilot:

It is an extremely sturdy and comfortable little folder. It's smaller and lighter than the Lava, but much more substantial to grip than the Cricket. The blade has a nice thickness to it as well. I love the black anodizing. It fits nicely in the corner of your pocket. I personally like to put it in the outside corner of my rear pocket. I like liner locks better than the one on this, but the "spine lock" (proper term?) adds to the aesthetic nature of this knife. It is very retro looking.

I am giving the Cricket to my brother because I love the Spin so much. It's very comfortable even in my large hands. The blade is very useful, especially for things I find myself doing (detail cuts vs utility cuts). I also love how tiny it is. The Cricket really appeals to me as well, but my brother is new at the knife thing and the larger size will be easier for him to handle. I plan on getting a SE Cricket for myself at some time. It seems to really embody the highpoints of Spyderco design.

I do need to make lanyards for all three very soon. That should make them even more useful.

Here is my first design project here. The topic was "portable electronic device"...

Agent Starling

Post by Agent Starling »

welcome quattrokid 73, nice collection you have there!

Agent Starling
"Too many was too many, but way too many was just right."
jujigatame

Post by jujigatame »

quattrokid73 wrote:what places in downtown SF can I get knives and knivey things?

Perhaps you already know about this one, but in case not, a place you could check out is TAD Gear. They've got lots of knives, including Spydercos, and other cool stuff. Prices are good on some items, kinda high on others, but the quality of their stuff is very good and I've heard from other folks that it's a nice store to browse. Not being from the area myself, I don't know if their location is downtown or not by the address, but it's at 660 22nd St.
~ Nate
The CoPilot

Post by The CoPilot »

quattrokid73 wrote:I have a PE Copilot that I just love.
An excellent choice if I do say so myself. Great little knife that fits well even in larger hands like mine. It may be a small knife, but it's certainly not little in terms of what it can accomplish. The CoPilot is one of the all-time classic Spyderco designs.
><> The most important blood trail leads to the Cross <><
C09 CoPilots My Specialty
Integrity is Being Good Even if No One is WatchingTM
Looking for: C04 Executive plain edge, C09 CoPilot plain edge with brass liners and a G-2 marked blade
quattrokid73

Post by quattrokid73 »

Thanks! I should be able to get there by Bus.
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Welcome to the forum...Kid...Nice start to a great collection...Enjoy....Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
dantecubit

Post by dantecubit »

jujigatame wrote:Perhaps you already know about this one, but in case not, a place you could check out is TAD Gear.
From the pictures on their website, that store is almost cool enough to make a daytrip to SF.
quattrokid73

Post by quattrokid73 »

Yeah. I'll be in heaven. We don't have any places like that back home. So I'll take the time to enjoy it.

I'm excited to make those fobs too.
Getahl

Post by Getahl »

Welcome to the forums, quattrokid :)
Current collection: Black PE Millie, Yellow SE Tasman, Black E4 PE FRN, Yeller Pacific Salt PE, SS Dragonfly PE, Orange FRN Ladybug, Black UKPK
Wishlist: Syderhawk Salt, non-green Rocklobster :)
Billy

Post by Billy »

From one forum new to guy to another..

WELCOME! :)

Billy
I prefer to ask for forgiveness rather than permission.
I LOVE MY MILLIES
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
bladese97

Post by bladese97 »

:spyder: :spyder: :cool: :spyder: :spyder: Wecome bro, and nice pics, and choices of our oldest, and favorite tool :spyder: !!!!!!!!!!
:spyder: :spyder: :cool: :spyder: :spyder: "Spyderco...does a pocket good":spyder:
Spyderco Rocks!!!! "A wise man once said all knives were created equal...Obviously, he meant Spydercos''
As of 1-29-08, I am a proud member of Knife Rights!
raven

Post by raven »

Hey Adam, Welcome Aboard ;) . Enjoy your stay and your New "Family". Take Care and Be Safe.

God Bless :)

-raven-
ISAIAH 40:31 But those who wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; They will mount up on wings like eagles, They shall run and not be weary, They shall walk and not faint.

No-one can choose your mountain or tell you when to climb... It's yours alone to challenge at your own pace and time.
Michael Cook

Post by Michael Cook »

:spyder: Welcome to spydieville! Hope you stick around and post more often! Don't be afraid to sound dumb! I sure don't! :p :spyder:
More of what does not work will not work. Robin Cooper, Rokudan; Aikikai.

There is great power in the profound observation of the obvious. John Stone, Rokudan; Aikikai
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Welcome, quattrokid73! Nice knives & picture.
- best wishes, Jazz.