Stop Lock...What is it?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Spyderwings

Stop Lock...What is it?

Post by Spyderwings »

I have read mention of the "stop lock" a few times, and I am wondering what it is. Has it been used? Any pics of it? How does it work?

Any other info on it would be appreciated. I'm just curious because i must have missed something and cant seem to find any threads on it.
- Jason Dalsgaard
Current Spyders > C81GPBK Para-Military > C14SBK Rescue 93mm > C11P Delica 4 > FB05P Temperance > C29S Cricket > C14OR Full Sized Rescue > C90CF Stretch II > C12SBK Matriarch (VG-10)
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

As far as I know, it has not been released yet. Sal has mentioned the possibility of putting it on the next generation of Military. I have seen the patent drawings, but I can't get it through my thick skull how the thing works in three dimensions by looking at the two dimensional drawings. :o
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
Th232

Post by Th232 »

If I'm looking at the right patent:

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/6918184.html

When it's closed, the lever swings upwards and out of the way. When it's open, the lever goes down into the position shown on the picture. When it's in this position, if you try to fold the blade, the angles mean that the force is transmitted in a straight line from the tang to the pin via the lever, so to close it without disengaging the lock, you'll have to pop the pin out.

Sort of like a comp lock, but with a rotating lever instead of a linear one.
Will

"No one wants to look the fool. Everyone does the best they can. If they knew better, they'd do better" - old woman on the railway tracks to Sal.

sharkattack

Post by sharkattack »

Why can't the next gen Millie or Para use a lock back? They are simple, dependable, secure, and Spyderco makes some of the finest ones out there.

I've read numerous threads about people having blade play in their Paras, that it's prevented me from buying one. Having blade play or having to adjust a high end knife, to me, is not what I want. I just want to open it, use it, close it and not even think about it. That's what I love about my Spydies, all lock backs, they are rock solid and have never failed me.
My collection so far: Delica SS PE, Delica 4 FRN PE, Endura FRN SE, Manix 2 G10 PE. Since I've officially been bitten by the bug, the collection is sure to grow... :)
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

Even though some folks have had problems with blade play here and there with the Para, I still think it has one of the best locks ever made. The Para is still one of my babies. :)

I can't wait to see and try out some of the newer stuff that Spyderco and crew are coming out with in the next couple years.

They are knife making/designing champions.
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
Spyderwings

Post by Spyderwings »

I personally havent had any troubles with blade play, and i use my para for camping tasks as well as edc.
- Jason Dalsgaard
Current Spyders > C81GPBK Para-Military > C14SBK Rescue 93mm > C11P Delica 4 > FB05P Temperance > C29S Cricket > C14OR Full Sized Rescue > C90CF Stretch II > C12SBK Matriarch (VG-10)
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

sharkattack wrote:Why can't the next gen Millie or Para use a lock back? They are simple, dependable, secure, and Spyderco makes some of the finest ones out there.

I've read numerous threads about people having blade play in their Paras, that it's prevented me from buying one. Having blade play or having to adjust a high end knife, to me, is not what I want. I just want to open it, use it, close it and not even think about it. That's what I love about my Spydies, all lock backs, they are rock solid and have never failed me.
When the question of why the Military is a liner lock was being debated on Bladeforums, Sal's contribution was pretty succinct. "You can make a liner lock lighter." That is what the Military is all about - light weight, high strength, big cutting power. To make a lockback as strong, I think they would have to add larger liners, a heavier lockbar, heavier spacer/spring holder, etc. It would become more like the Manix than the Military we know. I like it the way it is.

If you let the internet tales of bladeplay keep you from trying a certain knife, you are going to miss out on some fine pieces. Some people will whine about an amount of play that I can't even feel, let alone worry about.

But then my perception of what constitutes a high end knife is probably different than yours. What I call high end knives don't come off assembly lines. They are made piece by piece, one at a time, and each part is hand fitted by a craftsman. Spydies are good, but they are still production knives. Some will have more clearance between parts than others. I trust Spyderco to make it right if it doesn't meet their standards. If your standards are higher than theirs, well it may be time to look at other makers.

Sorry about the rant, but I have read way too many bladeplay whines that turn out to either be the result of knife abuse or someone's unreasonable expectations not being met.
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
spydutch

Post by spydutch »

yablanowitz wrote:When the question of why the Military is a liner lock was being debated on Bladeforums, Sal's contribution was pretty succinct. "You can make a liner lock lighter." That is what the Military is all about - light weight, high strength, big cutting power. To make a lockback as strong, I think they would have to add larger liners, a heavier lockbar, heavier spacer/spring holder, etc. It would become more like the Manix than the Military we know. I like it the way it is.

If you let the internet tales of bladeplay keep you from trying a certain knife, you are going to miss out on some fine pieces. Some people will whine about an amount of play that I can't even feel, let alone worry about.

But then my perception of what constitutes a high end knife is probably different than yours. What I call high end knives don't come off assembly lines. They are made piece by piece, one at a time, and each part is hand fitted by a craftsman. Spydies are good, but they are still production knives. Some will have more clearance between parts than others. I trust Spyderco to make it right if it doesn't meet their standards. If your standards are higher than theirs, well it may be time to look at other makers.

Sorry about the rant, but I have read way too many bladeplay whines that turn out to either be the result of knife abuse or someone's unreasonable expectations not being met.
Well maybe you're right Yablanowitz, but before I new about NGK, the amount of money I had to pay over here for a Para you could almost buy 2 of them for in the US.

For that amount of money I think I may expect a knife without flaws :confused:
Arend(old school Spydie lover)

MEMBER OF THE INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE!!!

VERY PROUD OWNER OF A CALY III/SE #043 :D

....AND A FG(PARA) MILITARY/SE IN CPMD2(thanx Sal):cool:

...I would love to have one in full SpyderEdge:p
bladese97

Post by bladese97 »

:spyder: :spyder: :cool: :spyder: :spyder: I hav'nt heard anything about this lock either, but I am interested; I also looked at the drawing,. and don't quite understand how it works, but, no worries...It's Spyderco!
:spyder: :spyder: :cool: :spyder: :spyder: "Spyderco...does a pocket good":spyder:
Spyderco Rocks!!!! "A wise man once said all knives were created equal...Obviously, he meant Spydercos''
As of 1-29-08, I am a proud member of Knife Rights!
KSDbass

Post by KSDbass »

seems kind of like the Yojimbo and para lock, only the tang extends past the ed of the lack bar, and a pin on the end of the tang goes through the lockbar. how it is disengaged, beats me.

EDit: I made an account so I could look at the other pictures, and there are like 3-4 other parts that aren't shown in the main picture. There's the lock bar from a lockback, and another bar that I can't figure out what it does.
Custom avatar courtesy of Dialex!

Bill Brasky could destroy Chuck Norris.

Just
Empty
Every
Pocket
gunmike1

Post by gunmike1 »

spydutch wrote:Well maybe you're right Yablanowitz, but before I new about NGK, the amount of money I had to pay over here for a Para you could almost buy 2 of them for in the US.

For that amount of money I think I may expect a knife without flaws :confused:

NGK will be happy to verify that the knife they ship you is solid with no blade play if you ask them. They will also check to see if the blade is centered if that concerns you. That is one of the reasons I buy almost exclusively from them (as you mentioned the prices are good, as well). At least then you will start off on the right foot with a solid piece. Whether blade play develops with use is another story.

Mike
Th232

Post by Th232 »

KSDbass wrote:seems kind of like the Yojimbo and para lock, only the tang extends past the ed of the lack bar, and a pin on the end of the tang goes through the lockbar. how it is disengaged, beats me.

EDit: I made an account so I could look at the other pictures, and there are like 3-4 other parts that aren't shown in the main picture. There's the lock bar from a lockback, and another bar that I can't figure out what it does.
Looks to me like it rotates out of the way.
Will

"No one wants to look the fool. Everyone does the best they can. If they knew better, they'd do better" - old woman on the railway tracks to Sal.

SpeedHoles

Re: Stop Lock...What is it?

Post by SpeedHoles »

Now we'll get to see our first in-hand look at how this operates with the upcoming Parata, with Paul Alexander's variation on the design.

Anxious to see how it operates, myself. :spyder:
Going back to Caly.
Donut

Post by Donut »

I didn't even notice that this knife had a stop lock on it. I scrolled right past it. I'm gonna have to try this guy out!
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

Donut wrote:I didn't even notice that this knife had a stop lock on it. I scrolled right past it. I'm gonna have to try this guy out!

Yep, check out the recent thread about it, Paul mentions a few details about it, and that it's his own interpretation of the patent.
Going back to Caly.
Wanimator

Post by Wanimator »

It's a real easy operation and it just lifts up. Can't explain it any simpler than that. I was surprised nobody really took much notice to it at BLADE show.
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

Wanimator wrote:It's a real easy operation and it just lifts up. Can't explain it any simpler than that. I was surprised nobody really took much notice to it at BLADE show.

One-finger operation, or do you need a two-finger pinch to get it to disengage?
Going back to Caly.
Wanimator

Post by Wanimator »

One thumb. Two fingers would be nearly impossible to do, you'd have no purchase.
Michal O

Post by Michal O »

Sorry for digging old thread, but I have question about Parata stop lock. Does it have vertical play like back lock? In one review guy had blade play in Parata "like in Endura", other reviewers didn't mentioned about it.
Current collection: Lil Temperance G10, Shaman, Lil Native, Massad Ayoob cruwear, Smock, Street Beat, Street Bowie, Para 3, PM2 purple G10 cruwear, Canis, Rhino, Endura 4 K390, Watu, Kapara, Amalgam, Sliverax, Police 4 se K390, Police 4 pe K390, Khukuri, Barong, Ulize.
cjk

Post by cjk »

I'm curious if the Parata's lock has as much close bias as a back lock? It looks like it might?