Just got my new Yojimbo

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Kaizen

Just got my new Yojimbo

Post by Kaizen »

I love this design. But I'm curious, the liner on the compression lock goes almost all the way over to the other side. Is this normal? Is it okay? The compression lock on my Para doesn't even go half way. I think that it should be fine, but I also think that means it'll develop vertical play very soon. Are there any ways to remedy this?
Also "Kaizen1" on BF, "ignoramus" on CPF & EDCF. "kaizenrei" on KF, "Kaizen" on USN.
2edgesword

Post by 2edgesword »

I would think the further over the less likely the lock would disengage.

BTW, where did you pick it up? I've been looking for another one for myself.
Certified Instructor - Martial Blade Concepts

"The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men, and if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice, is it possible an empire can rise without His aid?" Benjamin Franklin
Kaizen

Post by Kaizen »

I bought it through the B/S/T forums at Blade Forums.

I just wouldn't like it if started to have vertical play. It's just one of those things that annoy me.
Also "Kaizen1" on BF, "ignoramus" on CPF & EDCF. "kaizenrei" on KF, "Kaizen" on USN.
white cloud

Post by white cloud »

Ignoramus wrote:I love this design. But I'm curious, the liner on the compression lock goes almost all the way over to the other side. Is this normal? Is it okay? The compression lock on my Para doesn't even go half way. I think that it should be fine, but I also think that means it'll develop vertical play very soon. Are there any ways to remedy this?
i had the same problem with my 5th yojimbo. i sent it back and i am now quite happy with the knife. it was worth the wait.
Kaizen

Post by Kaizen »

white cloud wrote:i had the same problem with my 5th yojimbo. i sent it back and i am now quite happy with the knife. it was worth the wait.
So you had the same issue and Spyderco somehow adjusted it so the liner didn't go all the way to the other side? If so, I'd be cool with sending it back. I really like this knife. Thanks.
Kaizen

Post by Kaizen »

Another member, Kn00b, suggested that I adjust the stop pin and that it might be eccentric like on the Para. Well, that did the trick. The liner only goes to just past half way now, which I'm totally fine with.

I'm surprised on how comfortable this knife is to hold. I was also surprised to find that I can choke up on the handle where the choil/kick should be and its also very comfortable. In my experience, you can never really comprehend how comfortble most spydies are until you get them in your hand. This is an instant favorite :) .

Do I get a Yojimbo Secret Club badge or something???
white cloud

Post by white cloud »

i agree with you. the yojimbo handles nicely. it also cuts amazingly well. if you have time you may want to look over the "meat tests" published on this forum. i have seen one done in person and was amazed at how the yojimbo "out cut" much larger knives.
enyong112

Post by enyong112 »

Is the lock on mine alright? First comp lock I have.
Attachments
DSC01991.jpg
DSC01991.jpg (24.58 KiB) Viewed 781 times
Cool as Ice... Clear like Water...
Kaizen

Post by Kaizen »

I like how yours doesn't even go halfway. To me, that's a plus. Liner Locks, Frame Locks & Compression Locks start to engage further and further towards the opposite side as the knife is used over long periods of time and hard use. After the liner goes all the way to the opposite side, vertical blade play comes next. In either case, I don't see it being an issue for lock safety, it's just that blade play sucks in my book.

Since adjusting my stop pin though, my compression lock only goes to about halfway, which is perfectly okay with me.

Nice to know there are other Filipinos on this forum enyong :) . I'm 100% American though (Californian to be more specific), I couldn't tell you much about the Filipino culture.
jaislandboy

Post by jaislandboy »

enyong112 wrote:Is the lock on mine alright? First comp lock I have.
your Comp lock looks "spot on" enyong112 ... ;)
Congrats on the Yojimbo Kaizen ... :)
brian
"All paths lead back to the Spyderhole..."
enyong112

Post by enyong112 »

Kaizen wrote:I like how yours doesn't even go halfway. To me, that's a plus. Liner Locks, Frame Locks & Compression Locks start to engage further and further towards the opposite side as the knife is used over long periods of time and hard use. After the liner goes all the way to the opposite side, vertical blade play comes next. In either case, I don't see it being an issue for lock safety, it's just that blade play sucks in my book.

Since adjusting my stop pin though, my compression lock only goes to about halfway, which is perfectly okay with me.

Nice to know there are other Filipinos on this forum enyong :) . I'm 100% American though (Californian to be more specific), I couldn't tell you much about the Filipino culture.
I see your point at first I didnt get it. :) proud to be part of this forum as well. But you do have Pinoy roots? Planning to visit the Pinas? It's really beautiful here during the summer, lots of beautiful Pinays, and delicious beer... As they say "sa Pilipinas mo lang mahahanap ang pinakamaganda babae, at malalasahan ang pinakamasarap na beer sa buong mundo." :D
enyong112

Post by enyong112 »

jaislandboy wrote:your Comp lock looks "spot on" enyong112 ... ;)
Congrats on the Yojimbo Kaizen ... :)
Thanks jaislandboy... :)
Kaizen

Post by Kaizen »

enyong112 wrote:I see your point at first I didnt get it. :) proud to be part of this forum as well. But you do have Pinoy roots? Planning to visit the Pinas? It's really beautiful here during the summer, lots of beautiful Pinays, and delicious beer... As they say "sa Pilipinas mo lang mahahanap ang pinakamaganda babae, at malalasahan ang pinakamasarap na beer sa buong mundo." :D
Yep, Pinoy and yeah, I'll probably be visiting sometime in 2008. My girlfriend's from Angeles City, so I'll be meeting some of her family and actually learning about Filipinos, because I don't know crap about the culture. I'm so gonna stand out. Looking forward to it.

I have absolutely no clue about what you said at the bottom, but I still wanna :D .