need opinions on small fixed blade for RGEI SD applications

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
crunch716

need opinions on small fixed blade for RGEI SD applications

Post by crunch716 »

hi guys! im considering the blackhawk 'kalista' as a concealable fixed blade for reverse grip, edge-in SD applications. ive handled it a couple of times at the local knife store and it feels secure enough in my chosen grip. what i like about it is that it is very versatile, accomodating even the sabre grip, edge-down, and reverse grip, edge-out. it also seems to be quite concealable (i plan to carry it appendix IWB w/ a static cord) under light clothing.

i was just wondering if any of you spyder bros/sis' have had any experience with this design. and also if any of you see possible limitations of the blade/handle design and/or carry system. heres a link to a demo video of the knife by none other than Mike Janich http://www.blackhawkvideos.com/knives.html it's the second one from the bottom.

thank you in advance for your most valuable opinions!
Stenny

Post by Stenny »

It has a bit slim handle for my taste... and no guard. I would run it only in a thumbcapped grip.
I would try to find a Ronin, but that's just me. Otherwise, I like daggers for RGEI, but local laws may prohibit that.
...but no, no, you know it all, it's harmless little bunny...
crunch716

Post by crunch716 »

yes, the handles are slim, but it seems to be substantial in my hands. it's actually a plus since it makes the knife easier to conceal.

i will try it in thumbcapped reverse grip, i overlooked that one when i handled the knife. thanks for reminding me!

i do agree about getting a ronin, but i have enough trouble finding a caly III here in the Philippines.
Michael Cook

Post by Michael Cook »

:spyder: For a fixed blade I can't think of a better knife than s'narc's disciple. It's purpose designed for rgei. The kalista's carry system is certainly more versatile and comfortable, though. :spyder:
More of what does not work will not work. Robin Cooper, Rokudan; Aikikai.

There is great power in the profound observation of the obvious. John Stone, Rokudan; Aikikai
crunch716

Post by crunch716 »

hi michael!
i just checked the shivworks site and they have it in stock. why did you have to remind me about the disciple?!! haha! that's at least 100usd over my budget but i can see myself ordering it. please, just tell me how the kalista's carry system is more comfortable and versatile.. and how buying it instead of the disciple will leave me enough to order a spydie p'kal. hahaha!

but seriously, am i really better off with the disciple? taking into consideration that in a real SD scenario, i might have to utilize other grips. i havent handled the disciple so i really dont know if its usable in sabe grip.

sorry if im asking too many questions. i can't afford to make mistakes buying higher-end knives. i pay more than full retail for knives and they're not easy to sell if they dont suit my needs well. :(
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

I have not handled the Knife in question yet and it is on my to get list...it looks very interesting to say the least and I like all the optional carry ideas and equiptment, the disciple has a very specific purpose and method of use...it's not an everyday chore knife for sure.....Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
crunch716

Post by crunch716 »

yeah, ure right, doc! im really better off with the kalista. its a lot more versatile. uhmm.. and it also has a black coating, and jimping on the handle and spine. haha! (trying to tip the scales with whatever i can in favor of the kalista). but man, that disciple must be a **** of a performer in RGEI.

anyway, i really appreciate everyone's posts. please, keep 'em coming. im still on the fence about this.
stonyman

Post by stonyman »

The kalista has attracted even SN(I read about his opinion over on his TPI forum). I like the Diciple, but it is a custom piece. It is more expensive and if you are trying to get the folder, the kalista should do. You have more carry options with the kalista. It has several attachments to rig it the way you like.
The handle is slim, but it is long enough to get a full grip....in REI thumb cap Please! :D The kalista is definately on my to get list. The designer is known to pipe in on this forum at times...maybe he can give you more of his insight of the kalista....Take care and God Bless! ;)
Michael Cook

Post by Michael Cook »

crunch716 wrote: please, just tell me how the kalista's carry system is more comfortable and versatile.. and how buying it instead of the disciple will leave me enough to order a spydie p'kal. hahaha! (
:spyder: http://www.blackhawkvideos.com/knives.html Just click on the kalista and a tiny little Michael Janich will explain the cool versatile carry options! :spyder:
More of what does not work will not work. Robin Cooper, Rokudan; Aikikai.

There is great power in the profound observation of the obvious. John Stone, Rokudan; Aikikai
crunch716

Post by crunch716 »

hi all! thanks for sharing ur views! i finally broke down and bought a kalista and im very happy with the purchase. here are some pics of my new carry blade..

here it is in RGEI.. it feels very solid in the hand.

one slight issue i have with the knife in this grip is that when i draw the knife quickly from the sheath to this grip, the edge isn't as in-line with my forearm as i would like. mybe this would improve after some more practice.

here's the knife in a choked-up forward grip. also very secure. you can really put some leverage on the spine.

one last shot of the sheath. although it's wide, its really thin and quite concealable.

so, there. i would definately recommend this knife to anyone looking for a versatile, concealable little fixed blade for SD, or even utility purposes ;)
Lost Jaguar

Post by Lost Jaguar »

crunch716--is that a static line attached to the sheath? And what sort of clip is at the end? Please post more pictures of the sheath, and describe how you carry and deploy the blade.

Thanks.
Prepare for Anything, Expect Nothing
crunch716

Post by crunch716 »

hi lost jaguar!
yes, it is a static cord-ish type of rig. the clip you see attached to the lanyard is a surefire lanyard clip that came with one of my flashlights

here's a pic of the sheath with the static cord on. the loop of lanyard on the left side of the sheath is what goes into my belt loop

here's my carry method. strong side appendix. (im left handed,btw). the knife lies pretty flat on my body so it doesnt really print even with just a light t-shirt on.

from there, i draw the knife into RGEI..

oh, and here's a pic of when i turn the knife in sheath around so it's upside down below my waistband. yes, the knife if still there. (notice how the belt loop has sunken in, that's from the paracord tugging on it)

it looks kinda complicated, and i didn't really plan it out to be this way, i just experimented with different types of lanyard placements with concealability and efficiency of draw in mind. oh, and as for the clip, i use that instead of just looping over the paracord so that i could quickly detach the sheath from myself.

im open to any suggestions as to how to simplify/improve the carry method.

PS
sorry for the poor pic quality. these were done in a hurry. hope this cleared things up.
Agent Starling

Post by Agent Starling »

crunch716 wrote: oh, and here's a pic of when i turn the knife in sheath around so it's upside down below my waistband. yes, the knife if still there. (notice how the belt loop has sunken in, that's from the paracord tugging on it)
crunch, that's a pretty interesting carry rig...the part i don't get is why do you turn the knife in sheath upside down? is that just for the times you want more concealment?

Agent Starling
"Too many was too many, but way too many was just right."
crunch716

Post by crunch716 »

oh, yeah, forgot to explain why. it's just for those times where i really dont want people to know i have a blade on me and i dont need quick access to it. i think it only applies to countries like the Philippines, though. we have security checks (pat downs) in malls, and security personel usually harass people with blades mostly coz they want it for themselves. this also applies to policemen. knife laws are really vague here in the PI.