Who likes the Scorpius for Self Defense?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Puyallupknifegu

Who likes the Scorpius for Self Defense?

Post by Puyallupknifegu »

Hello and good morning everyone,

I just recently acquired a Scorpius, (like the design Eric), and I would like to get everyone's input on this knife's self defense pros and cons. Also, if you carry or use this knife for utility purposes, let's hear some stories!
I have been using it in my customer's stockrooms to open boxes.

Thanks!!

Tim
God bless!
-Puyalluknifeguy-

Si Vis Pacem Para bellum
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

I think very highly of the Scorpius. The best SS utility folder in the current line-up. Despite the excellent ergos, the knife definitely needs both coarse G10 grips and jimping to be considered suitable for SD. I love the SS handle and very sharp blade for utility tasks. It could use a lefty friendly clip mounting though.

Just two weeks ago, I used my PE Scorpius to help prepare dinner when no suitable knives (i.e. sharp)were around.

Wouter
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 3-11-2024 Instagram
fellyjr

Tim, where have you been??

Post by fellyjr »

I don't have a Scorpius YET, so please tell me why I need to get one. I really don't care for the shape of it, but it IS a Spyderco after all. So Tim, convince me that I can't live without one. :eek: :p :D

Post by 224477 »

Wouter made a great review on the Scorpius...

As for me, no way this one for SD... The handle is too slippery and the front ergos are not good enought for safe stabbs. I would avoid an SS handled knife for SD in general, exceptions "may" apply..
"Having a dull knife is like having a stupid friend."
Cuccos19

Post by Cuccos19 »

Hi everyone!

I have a Scorpius Plain Edge. I bought it, because I love its looks. But I think, inspite of the really big (14mm) opening hole, it needs a quite a lot of training to open it. And a bit more force and wrist shake then an Endura or a Police. I think there is not enough weight on the blade, which can "pull out" it after an initial push. And the blade sits quite deep in the handle too when it's closed.
What is good about the Scorpius in SD, is the little tail. It makes a very nice impact weapon. When the knife closed - in a smaller, maybe lady hand - the front tip of the handle is also a very effective impact weapon, I think.

But use a knife under the size of a Police, Military or even an Endura against dogs, not a good idea. Yes, where I live, four-legged makes more concrete danger than two-legged. I think my Police pairing with my back-pack (wearing on my left shoulder) is much suited for SD against dogs, for example a german shepherd.
Michael Cook

Post by Michael Cook »

:spyder: Due to slipperyness the only SS knife I carry for self-protection is the kerambit because of it's ergos and ring. It'd be less of an issue if a two-handed gross motor opening was used but opening one-handed under great stress could present avoidable issues. :spyder:
More of what does not work will not work. Robin Cooper, Rokudan; Aikikai.

There is great power in the profound observation of the obvious. John Stone, Rokudan; Aikikai
dete

Post by dete »

I think it's very good,
Yojimbo is highly thought of here, and I think it shares some of the qualities of the Yojimbo in the tail :)

Good for those of us that wanted to see a smaller Yojimbo.

Don't get me wrong it has other unique qualities of it's own.
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Not a good one for SD....Like 224477 says too slippery and no protection for that hand on thrusting...kitchen chores? Cool Knife....Tim get a Yo or Ronin already!!!!!Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
cobrajoe

Post by cobrajoe »

fellyjr wrote:I don't have a Scorpius YET, so please tell me why I need to get one. I really don't care for the shape of it, but it IS a Spyderco after all. So Tim, convince me that I can't live without one. :eek: :p :D
Simple. It's one of the many spyders that you need to hold before you gain respect for it. I never thought anything of it until I finally got to hold one. It fits my hand like it was made for it, but I guess it probably is a little stretched out for smaller hands. Just think of it as a modified SS native :D

As for SD, I'd reccomend "breaking it in" first, as the one I have was very stiff brand new, and also some help with the SS grippiness would be in order (Bead blasting, sanding, jimping, etc)
MEMBER OF THE INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE
silverback

Post by silverback »

Since I don't buy knives for SD, I can't compare it to other SD models. But I know that the tail is very nice for nonlethal stabbing to pressure points and for painful finger locks (experimented with it ;) ).
The problem is the SS handles, I believe that thick G10 would be better.

As a utility folder, it's one of those knives you have to try out to really appreciate. The handle offers multiple grip positions for forceful or intricate cutting, and I love the sharp tip and big belly.

The most abusive thing I did to mine was opening a thick 4 liter can of soup. The Scorpius came through without scratches, just a little duller. :)
Few people think more than two or three times a year; I have made an international reputation for myself by thinking once or twice a week. -George Bernard Shaw

Go is a pursuit of such value that one can devote a lifetime to it and have nothing to regret. Why not, then, challenge the limit of your powers. -Toshiro Kageyama 7-Dan
Puyallupknifegu

fellyjr wrote:I don't have a Scorpius YET, so please tell me why I need to get one. I really don't care for the shape of it, but it IS a Spyderco after all. So Tim, convince me that I can't live without one. :eek: :p :D

Hello my friend! I have just been busy working!

Ok, the Scorpius: I hated, (sorry Eric), the Scorpius at first. I held it, played with it, etc. My brother in law got one; I still didn't like it. It wasn't until after I started thinking about something else to carry in the city for opening boxes, and after seeing Sal do a Spyder drop w/a Military at the Eugene knife show.

It's a really fun knife to use; especially if you like really pointy knives! And the spyder drop is really fun!

Tim :D
God bless!
-Puyalluknifeguy-

Si Vis Pacem Para bellum
Puyallupknifegu

Dr. Snubnose wrote:Not a good one for SD....Like 224477 says too slippery and no protection for that hand on thrusting...kitchen chores? Cool Knife....Tim get a Yo or Ronin already!!!!!Doc :D

Hiya Doc!! I have a Yoji!!! I've had it for a long time, but, I won't use it on boxes...*sniff* can't use it on cardboard!!! That would just be wrong! LOL!

I have a friend holding onto a NIB Ronin for me as well....just waiting until after I move and get some more cash... :rolleyes:

T
God bless!
-Puyalluknifeguy-

Si Vis Pacem Para bellum
Puyallupknifegu

Mr Blonde wrote:I think very highly of the Scorpius. The best SS utility folder in the current line-up. Despite the excellent ergos, the knife definitely needs both coarse G10 grips and jimping to be considered suitable for SD. I love the SS handle and very sharp blade for utility tasks. It could use a lefty friendly clip mounting though.

Just two weeks ago, I used my PE Scorpius to help prepare dinner when no suitable knives (i.e. sharp)were around.

Wouter

Wouter, how are you?

I completely agree about the SS and needing to be G10!! Eric, Sal, are you listening? Please give us more G10!!!

One of the reasons I really consider the Scorpius for SD is because of the little tail. The one that I have has the lanyard hole drilled in such a spot that the tail of the knife looks like a dolphin head! That is an added bonus! It's a friendly little knife...until someone sees the pointy little blade!!!

I would have to be in a ton of trouble before I opened the blade on the little guy. For now, he is on a steady diet of cardboard!!!

T :D
God bless!
-Puyalluknifeguy-

Si Vis Pacem Para bellum
Puyallupknifegu

Sweet story about the can! I may have to take it w/me if I ever go camping!

silverback wrote:Since I don't buy knives for SD, I can't compare it to other SD models. But I know that the tail is very nice for nonlethal stabbing to pressure points and for painful finger locks (experimented with it ;) ).
The problem is the SS handles, I believe that thick G10 would be better.

As a utility folder, it's one of those knives you have to try out to really appreciate. The handle offers multiple grip positions for forceful or intricate cutting, and I love the sharp tip and big belly.

The most abusive thing I did to mine was opening a thick 4 liter can of soup. The Scorpius came through without scratches, just a little duller. :)
God bless!
-Puyalluknifeguy-

Si Vis Pacem Para bellum
Puyallupknifegu

224477 wrote:Wouter made a great review on the Scorpius...

As for me, no way this one for SD... The handle is too slippery and the front ergos are not good enought for safe stabbs. I would avoid an SS handled knife for SD in general, exceptions "may" apply..

Hey 22447,

I agree about the SS handles...in fact, I hardly have any SS handles...however, I like the little tail on this guy...and that is primarily what I would use to resolve a situation. I'm pretty convinced w/ what MA I know, you take that tail and put enough force behind it, and you won't need to cut a bad guy! Just smack them a couple of times!

God bless!
-Puyalluknifeguy-

Si Vis Pacem Para bellum
Puyallupknifegu

Hi Cuccos19,

I agree about the skill for deployment, however, it is easier to do the spyder drop by making a small circle in front of you than by relying on the weight of the knife to open the blade. Maybe someone can explain that better than me.

I seem to be able to get mine open very smoothly. I just have to be sure that I want the knife open. If you hesitate just a little bit, it won't quite lock.

Great input!

Cuccos19 wrote:Hi everyone!

I have a Scorpius Plain Edge. I bought it, because I love its looks. But I think, inspite of the really big (14mm) opening hole, it needs a quite a lot of training to open it. And a bit more force and wrist shake then an Endura or a Police. I think there is not enough weight on the blade, which can "pull out" it after an initial push. And the blade sits quite deep in the handle too when it's closed.
What is good about the Scorpius in SD, is the little tail. It makes a very nice impact weapon. When the knife closed - in a smaller, maybe lady hand - the front tip of the handle is also a very effective impact weapon, I think.

But use a knife under the size of a Police, Military or even an Endura against dogs, not a good idea. Yes, where I live, four-legged makes more concrete danger than two-legged. I think my Police pairing with my back-pack (wearing on my left shoulder) is much suited for SD against dogs, for example a german shepherd.
God bless!
-Puyalluknifeguy-

Si Vis Pacem Para bellum
Puyallupknifegu

Michael Cook wrote: :spyder: Due to slipperyness the only SS knife I carry for self-protection is the kerambit because of it's ergos and ring. It'd be less of an issue if a two-handed gross motor opening was used but opening one-handed under great stress could present avoidable issues. :spyder:

Hi Michael,

Again, totally agree about the SS slippy ness!! I wouldn't use the Scorpius for thrusting...if I was even going to deploy the blade and cut with it. I would use the angles from filipino MA. :D

I love the blade shape, and think of it as a near cousin to the Persian! Now, if we could just get a G10 handled Persian w/ a compression lock...hmm...Ed? You listening out there? LOL!! :D

T
God bless!
-Puyalluknifeguy-

Si Vis Pacem Para bellum
Puyallupknifegu

dete wrote:I think it's very good,
Yojimbo is highly thought of here, and I think it shares some of the qualities of the Yojimbo in the tail :)

Good for those of us that wanted to see a smaller Yojimbo.

Don't get me wrong it has other unique qualities of it's own.
Hi Dete!

I love my Yoji!! I just don't use it for utility.

God bless!
-Puyalluknifeguy-

Si Vis Pacem Para bellum
Puyallupknifegu

cobrajoe wrote:Simple. It's one of the many spyders that you need to hold before you gain respect for it. I never thought anything of it until I finally got to hold one. It fits my hand like it was made for it, but I guess it probably is a little stretched out for smaller hands. Just think of it as a modified SS native :D

As for SD, I'd reccomend "breaking it in" first, as the one I have was very stiff brand new, and also some help with the SS grippiness would be in order (Bead blasting, sanding, jimping, etc)

Hey Cobra,

Good ideas about mods...I will have to see if my friend can help me with some of those. :D

The scopius just didn't work for me at the first few times I held it, but then w/the spyder drop, and the way it rides in my pocket tip down, haven't tried it tip up yet, something just clicked!

God bless!
-Puyalluknifeguy-

Si Vis Pacem Para bellum

Post by 224477 »

Puyallupknifegu wrote:Hey 22447,

I agree about the SS handles...in fact, I hardly have any SS handles...however, I like the little tail on this guy...and that is primarily what I would use to resolve a situation. I'm pretty convinced w/ what MA I know, you take that tail and put enough force behind it, and you won't need to cut a bad guy! Just smack them a couple of times!

Tim, if I would have to choose a spyderco for palm stick then I would go following:

1.closed Yoji
2.closed Dodo
3.closed Police - IMO makes an excellent palm stick

Have checked the Scorpius some time back and sorry, it simply does not do the job for me, if we talk SD options. :o

On the other hand a G10 and linered handle with ambi tip up clip and a more straight, not so angled "handle tip" - thats completely different imagination.. :D
Maybe STR could help you to pimp it like that ;)
"Having a dull knife is like having a stupid friend."