Lets talk Flashlights

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Michael Cook

Post by Michael Cook »

:spyder: (Oh, man I don't wanna ask this, I'm such a gear-queer this is jumping into deep water :o ) Um, what are the better flashlight forums to research this stuff? (now I'm boned) :spyder:
More of what does not work will not work. Robin Cooper, Rokudan; Aikikai.

There is great power in the profound observation of the obvious. John Stone, Rokudan; Aikikai
carrot

Post by carrot »

There's pretty much only one place to really go -- CandlePowerForums. There's also Flashlight-Forums (the rival forums to CPF), but the two forums are on very bad terms with one another (loooong story) and FF often lacks the kind of diverse content that CPF does. If you can read Chinese, Shoudian has some incredible stuff (which I wish I could read...)
Latest :spyder: -- Blurple Para2
OuchThatsSharp

Post by OuchThatsSharp »

The first expensive flashlight I had was the Surefire E2D. Nice light and one of the brightest at the time. The problem I had (with 2 different E2Ds') was the battery life was abt an hour total give or take of couple of minutes plus one of them kept blowing the LED after about two weeks worth of use. I checked out the Fenix offerings and picked up a P1D CE. As far as I'm concerned the Fenix blew the E2D out of the water. Far brighter light, battery lasts longer, a lot smaller package and the price was cheaper. I then bought a Fenix L2D CE because is uses the AA batteries and I am very impressed with this light as well and is what I keep in my truck. I just purchased a new Fenix Digital P2D. I'm more partial to the P2D as I like the push button operation vs turning the bezel. I haven't checked out the newer Surefires but based on "my" past experience with them I'm sticking with the Fenix lights. Now that I saw that fancy one in one of the earlier posts, well....hmmmm, I might have to check one of those out.
It's better to have knife and not need it than to need a knife and not have it.
[SIGPIC]http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s145 ... opelli.jpg[/SIGPIC]
Medic

Post by Medic »

can someone explain these "upgrades" that can be given to lights? are there a lot of them available?

upgrading from 90-150ish lumens is a huge jump and i want to learn more about that for a glove box light i plan to eventually buy in the future.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Michael: Ha ha! Same thing happened to me--wasn't sure I wanted to know, and now I'm waist deep. I'm "Bolster" at CPF, and I'll see you there! Be sure to check out my thread, "How do you Self Educate re Flashlights," and people have listed a lot of good sources so you can get up to speed quickly. Don't miss the "Welcome Mat." It's buried, but good.

Ouch: You really ought to consider the P3D as your next lightey, it's basically the L2D on CR123s, and they just released a Cree Q3 (immediately after I bought my Rebel 100) that boasts 215 lumens!

Medic: I'm no expert, but: I will give you my opinion anyway! I think LED upgrades are done on two levels: by the mfg'r, who keeps coming out with new "bins," such as the Cree LEDs were P4 until now, now Q5 has hit the market, and the afi's are all waiting around for R1, saying, "when will it be here? when will it be here?" (Just like us and the Stretch, Lum, etc.) Then you have the aftermarket upgrades, where people are making the new LEDs available for drop-in to older flaslights. For example, I got an LED upgrade (a P4 I think) for my MagLight, and it went from 36 lumens to 140 lumens in about 2 minutes, the time it took to change out the bulb.

NOW DAT'S AN UPGRADE!

BTW, 90 -> 150 lumens is good, but might actually surprise you in that you would not be as big a difference as you'd expect. The eye sees luminance in a logarithmic fashion, so it's often said that the lumens need to double before you can see the increase in light. So if you buy a 150 light today, you'll be waiting until 300 lumen LED's are out, before replacing it. Now, (and here's where you need an expert like Carrot to step in) even though the eye doesn't see much difference when shining the two on a wall, supposedly throw is affected, and more lumens means you can see farther, even if you're eye can't see the difference on a wall. At least, that's what I think I learned. Hopefully more educated forumites will step in.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
carrot

Post by carrot »

Sounds like Bolstermaniac's got it down. The throw vs. perceived output has been my experience as well.
Latest :spyder: -- Blurple Para2
crunch716

Post by crunch716 »

hi guys! im a bit of a flashlight geek myself but in no way an expert. just thought id share my .02..

in my opinion, the new surefire L1 cree's with a beam diffuser would be a great EDC. its small and thin enough to be carried comfortably, it has high-low output modes (65/10 lumens) with decent runtimes, and with the diffuser, you get the option of either a smooth, wide beam, or a tight and bright hotspot. a little pricey but well worth it for the durability and reliability of surefires.

as for my edc, my primary light is a surefire g2z with a tactical bezel, running a p4 cree on 2 rechargeable cr123 batteries. i also have a small 1xAAA fenix L0D cree that i hook to my beltloop or keychain.

im in the process of building a 9p with a turbohead conversion and a 1-cell extender to give me 225 lumens on rechargeable batteries.

as for testing output, i test lights by seeing how it lights up a room by shining it on the ceiling. i also see how far it reaches outdoors. and also,(this is silly, but..) how bright/blinding it is out the bezel. :D
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

I'm a bit of a flashaholic myself, so my loadout is:

SF L1 Cree: excellent EDC light. The low setting is perfect for 99% of all my lighting needs and when needed the high setting punches out 65 lumen. Due to the lens, the beam is perceived as much brighter and more 'annoying' to my friends. ;) I've had it for a month or so now, and I still haven't needed to switch batteries, very long runtime.

SF E1L Cree: I put a beam diffuser on this one. This is the perfect 'camping' type light for me. The beam is really really nice, the shape and color are amazing to me. Great for lighting up your path or room.

I really like how SF uses the Cree technology in reverse; giving more runtime than power, but they really should release a powerhouse light with this technology.

SF L2: my nightstand light. The low is nice for finding the bathroom and avoiding cats at night.

SF G2 yellow: I've upgraded this one with a cree drop-in and a beam diffuser. I'm going to use this one for travel. The diffuser gives me the best useful beam, and when something goed bump outside my hotel room, I can flip off the diffuser and it's like having a lightsaber.

Fenix L0D HA Cree; great keychain light, very powerful but the beam is a bit ringy and the finish is not on par with the SF. I also don't care much for the many settings; though high and low are really nice. I had an ARC aaa-p before and that is indeed a nice light, up there with SF, but the power was a bit too low for me and no high/low options.

RAW Orb; two settings led, very bright and a rather classy light, this is my suit & tie light.

Photon II red; is on my SPOT I carry when jogging, it also has my keys on it. The Photon type lights are really handy, I put them on most keys and my friends really love the extra ones I get.

Wouter
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 5-30-2024 Instagram
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

That's a very respectable collection, Wouter, now I know who to bug with my SF questions. I'm currently at Nellis AFB in 'Vegas, and one of my students says she found 3 SFs in the sand in Iraq and brought them home. I am trying to buy one from her; we'll see if she actually will sell one to me. That will be my first SF, whatever model it is.

Oh, yeah, finding them in the sand... strange, huh...she says that when their incan lights burn out, soldiers just toss them, assuming they're broken. I have a vision of the sands of Iraq littered with SFs.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

Bolstermanic wrote:That's a very respectable collection, Wouter, now I know who to bug with my SF questions. I'm currently at Nellis AFB in 'Vegas, and one of my students says she found 3 SFs in the sand in Iraq and brought them home. I am trying to buy one from her; we'll see if she actually will sell one to me. That will be my first SF, whatever model it is.

Oh, yeah, finding them in the sand... strange, huh...she says that when their incan lights burn out, soldiers just toss them, assuming they're broken. I have a vision of the sands of Iraq littered with SFs.
Definitely get a 6p or G2 model from her, they are very versatile models (drop in modules and many other accessories are available from online dealers). Should be a great introduction into the Surefire brand. Fenix is wonderful for offering features and power in an affordable package, but SF offers a wonderful type of 'simplified complexity'; i.e. great user interfaces, beam quality, build quality etc...

Wouter
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 5-30-2024 Instagram
Gibsoniam

Post by Gibsoniam »

Hi all! I haven't been around much lately, but thought I would share my $0.02 worth on the flashlights:

I've had my share of single cell cr123 and AA flashlights, including a variety of Fenix models. Without doubt my favorite- and the best performer, though perhaps not the brightest, has been my long since lost HDS EDC 42. The current generation of this light is now manufactured by Novatac and comes in 85 lumen and 120 lumen variets. Its a tank of a little light, and for those interested in using the lights as weapons, it has a spastic "disorienting" strobe feature. I confidently can recommend the Novatac to anyone interested in a very compact, very sturdy, very customizeable flashlight.

Also, the original creator of the light has some new offerings in the works which you can read about here: http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showth ... p?t=166422

And, lastly, the McGizmo PD that's been shown around I've HEARD is a great light, though I've never owned one. I can say the ARC AAA-P is a great keychain light. But, for keychain lights, I stick mostly to Photons, especially with the new Photon Rex rechargeable keychain lights coming out.

So, what do I actually carry? After years of playing with flashlights, I only carry on my person a Photon Freedom (which will be replaced shortly with the Rex). If I'm going up to the ranch I'll carry the Novatac EDC 85p with me. I have a surefire G2 in the car for emergencies.

Well, time to go back and hide in the shadows. You all have a great day!

--Michael
Mike :cool:

<><
1 Peter 3:15

"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity;
an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
Winston Churchill

EDC
Spyderco Meerkat Sprint
HDS Systems EDC Executive 140W
Fisher Space Pen
OuchThatsSharp

Post by OuchThatsSharp »

Just placed my order for a new Fenix P3D Cree Q5 Flashlight. This thing is supposed to put out 215 Lumens! (I like to annoy annoying people by strobing them).
OuchThatsSharp

Post by OuchThatsSharp »

Top: New Fenix P3D Cree Q5. Takes two CR123A's and according to literature puts out 215 Lumens on high setting.

Bottom: Fenix P2D Cree. One CR123A battery and puts out 135 Lumens.

clovisc

Post by clovisc »

just ordered a fenix L2D... sounds like it'll cover all my bases.

i usually carry an inova X5T for usual flashlight chores... been carrying it for over 3 years now. have a surefire C2 and G2 that i'll grab if i'm doing something more intense.

the fenix promises to outperform the surefires in terms of brightness, offering me some different settings... and AA batteries sound much more convenient!

can't wait to see how it performs! :D
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

Down to four...
Surefire M2 Centurion
Fenix L2D CE
Ultrafire 3 watt
Mr Bulk VIP...my EDC from now on... :)
Jimd

Post by Jimd »

Agent Starling wrote:Medic,

I have a couple Surefires...the G10 Nitrolon cuz it's inexpensive, sturdy, and bright...but a little bulky for my liking. Also have the E1L outdoorsman, I like it because it's compact, easy to throw in my purse or clip on a pocket. The next one I get will most likely be the E2D.

Agent Starling
I got an E1L Outdoorsman for Christmas. What an awesome little light!! Very compact, very tough, and it throws a surprising amount of light. What I really like about it is that the lens is focused so that it throws the light farther.

I have an E2e that I might actually sell so I can buy another E1L Outdoorsman (I like the E1L that much!). The batteries are lasting nicely, too, since it's an LED; I've used them since mid-December, with no discernable difference in light output with everyday use.

These days, I only buy LEDs because of their super-long runtime and the fact that they do not burn out like the incandescent lights do.
Referee in the Bowels of ****
Email: ST8PEN01@aol.com
Artwork For Sale

"...We few, we happy few...we band of brothers...For whoever sheds his blood with me today shall be my brother." - William Shakespeare

If you are not willing to stand behind our troops, by all means, please stand in front of them!
Agent Starling

Post by Agent Starling »

Jimd wrote:I got an E1L Outdoorsman for Christmas. What an awesome little light!! Very compact, very tough, and it throws a surprising amount of light. What I really like about it is that the lens is focused so that it throws the light farther.

I have an E2e that I might actually sell so I can buy another E1L Outdoorsman (I like the E1L that much!). The batteries are lasting nicely, too, since it's an LED; I've used them since mid-December, with no discernable difference in light output with everyday use.

These days, I only buy LEDs because of their super-long runtime and the fact that they do not burn out like the incandescent lights do.
Cool...looks like Santa knows his Surefires!! :D

Agent Starling
"Too many was too many, but way too many was just right."