Michael Janich MBC DVD???

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
raven

Michael Janich MBC DVD???

Post by raven »

Hey All, My buddy (also an LEO) and I are interested in developing our Knife Skills and have been looking into some Instructional Videos and Books. I know there is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING BETTER THAN "HANDS-ON EXPERIENCE". Unfortunately we're not even close to any kind of knife training in our area......maybe in the future, but not right now :rolleyes: :( . So, while surfing the web, we came across the Michael Janich MBC DVD and the "Knife Fighting A Practical Course" book by Mr. Janich. We're curious if this would be a good combination and good start for now??? We have some knowledge and skill, but we definately want to EXPAND on what we know. Any and all other suggestions are welcome. Thanks For Listening To This "Clueless Family Member" :rolleyes: :o . Take Good Care All and Be Safe Always.

God Bless :)

-raven-
ISAIAH 40:31 But those who wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; They will mount up on wings like eagles, They shall run and not be weary, They shall walk and not faint.

No-one can choose your mountain or tell you when to climb... It's yours alone to challenge at your own pace and time.
Michael Cook

train hard and stay safe!

Post by Michael Cook »

:spyder: "Fighting folders" is the first MBC video , then "advanced fighting folders" and "mastering fighting folders" folled by the CBC disarming tape.

Mr. Janich has also got a new tape for learning the basics quickly which I've not yet seen but is surely awesome.

Mr. Janich was head of Paladin press' video production for many years and has made some of the best martial arts videos out there. Any of his videos are well worth the money and practice time. :spyder:
More of what does not work will not work. Robin Cooper, Rokudan; Aikikai.

There is great power in the profound observation of the obvious. John Stone, Rokudan; Aikikai
travis quaas

I second that motion!

Post by travis quaas »

Mr. Janich is a highly gifted Martial Artist. I have trained with him and personally experienced his well thought out curriculum.

I have the "Knife Fighting: A Practical Course" book. But I do not believe it does justice to the adaptations that Mr. J has since implemented since its publication. Not only does Mr. J have the 'Martial Blade Concepts' down pat, he has the additional ability to explain his methodology in a way that is NOT confusing.

It amazes me to this day that the lessons I learned from him on the first day applies to all the lessons he has taught me since then. What I mean by this is that many of the motions and exercises meld to one another, hence his progressive lesson plans of:

MBC Level 1
MBC Level 2
MBC Level 3
MBC Level 4
CBC
MSC

(Descriptions found at http://www.martialbladeconcepts.com/mbccourses.htm)

Additionally, if you find your way to Mr. J's website you'll find a comprehensive listing of his books and videos. I believe you would get a heck of a lot more out of his videos.

(http://www.martialbladeconcepts.com/books.htm)

Best of luck in finding what you like and prefer!

Travis
picobrain

first step?

Post by picobrain »

So for a beginner, which dvd would be best to start from these two?
MARTIAL BLADE CONCEPTS or
FIGHTING FOLDERS

Is there much crossover on these 2 videos?

Being in Californy, it's folders only for me.

peace
tx_outlaw

Post by tx_outlaw »

I plan to get a couple of Mikes DVD's as well.........
Michael Cook

Post by Michael Cook »

picobrain wrote:So for a beginner, which dvd would be best to start from these two?
MARTIAL BLADE CONCEPTS or
FIGHTING FOLDERS

Is there much crossover on these 2 videos?

Being in Californy, it's folders only for me.

peace
:spyder: Fighting folders is also a primer to carrying and deploying folders in general as well as MBC. :spyder:
More of what does not work will not work. Robin Cooper, Rokudan; Aikikai.

There is great power in the profound observation of the obvious. John Stone, Rokudan; Aikikai
Bolster

Mbc

Post by Bolster »

I own the MBC DVD and, while I have yet to take the jump to live training, I can at least say that after watching the DVD I have a good idea of what my primary targets are, and in general, what to do with the blade. So I would recommend the MBC DVD.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Gentlemen:

Thanks for your interest and your kind words.

The Martial Blade Concepts DVD was designed to be a crash course in my approach to knife tactics. The Fighting Folders series represents the entire curriculum; MBC includes the basic philosophy and the "go-to" moves.

Since the system has evolved over time, MBC also represents the most concise, up-to-date explanation of the basic tactics and strategies. I would recomend it and Fighting Folders (which teaches deployment techniques) as a very good start.

I hope this helps. Thanks again for your interest.

Stay safe,

Mike
Michael Janich
Spyderco Special Projects Coordinator
Founder and Lead Instructor, Martial Blade Concepts
raven

Thank You For The Advice!!!

Post by raven »

Mr. Janich, Thank You for the advice Sir. My partner and I are Both LEOs. We've been interested for some time in developing our Knife Skills. We have some knowledge........Just Not Nearly Enough By Any Means. We've talked about taking different courses if possible. There is rarely any courses here in Colorado that offer what we're looking for. That's when we discovered Your Book and DVDs. We are both willing to train hands on and just eager to get started. My buddy is a Martial Arts Instructor and Former Marine. I have a Martial Arts Background and am a Defensive Tactics Instructor for Our Sheriff's Department and local Police Academy.........so we have some skill. We Just Want To Make It Consistent and Expand. Just Curious, do you Do Any Seminars/Training Here In Colorado??? If so, we'd be very interested in attending any class you'd have to offer. Again, Thank You Very Much Mr. Janich. Take Good Care an Be Safe Also.

God Bless :)

-Gil/raven-
ISAIAH 40:31 But those who wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; They will mount up on wings like eagles, They shall run and not be weary, They shall walk and not faint.

No-one can choose your mountain or tell you when to climb... It's yours alone to challenge at your own pace and time.