CPM-D2 Military

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
OrangeJoe

Post by OrangeJoe »

For all you experienced Sprint Run buyers...

Will this knife hit the shelves, that is, will I have the opportunity to buy from NGK or others or will it land Out of Stock?

Do you think I will have to pre-order or can I wait and see?

What has been the market reaction to similary sized runs?

I just don't want to commit to buying at this time (pre-order?) and would like to know how much time, if any, I would have once it hits the shelves. :)

So many knives, so little cash... :(
Occasionally men stumble upon the truth, most times they pick themselves up and walk away as if nothing happened.
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

OrangeJoe,

I'm betting if it is only 1500 items that it will be sold out shortly after it arrives in stock.

I have called NGK and asked to be put on a list so that I can buy one when they come in. I have never had that not work. That way it is first come first serve. Sometimes Mary Beth from NGK has called me and I've told her to let mine go to another person as I cannot purchase it right now and she does. I don't call and ask to be put on a list but about 3 times a year so it's not a big deal. ;)
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
markg

Post by markg »

In terms of knives, 1500 is a pretty big run. Consider that was the size of the BG-42 CF Military, and you can still find them for sale. The first run of CF Military in S30V was in the 500 range.

Sure there are lots of people on this forum who MUST have this knife, but keep in mind you are maybe looking at like, what, 50-70 people max.

I would hedge my bets and get on a pre-order list. However I would not worry too much about finding one. That is a good sized sprint run.
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

Roger at Knifeworks said that these are about 6 months out.

Do you think that is about right?
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
OrangeJoe

Post by OrangeJoe »

David Lowry, Markg,

Thanks for the quick reply. I'll wait and see.
Occasionally men stumble upon the truth, most times they pick themselves up and walk away as if nothing happened.
boxer93

Post by boxer93 »

David,
I think you will see them before 6 Months. I also hope for Green G10 paramilitary. But then I had wished for a (dodo) Blue G10 Para as well. One reason I had my own customized.
Chris
Be Excellent to each other.
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

Chris,

I hope you're right.

Your blue tweed Para is awesome. If I'm not mistaken it was done by Chase right? I may have to send him one of my Para's to get done in a different color. ;)
fellyjr

Post by fellyjr »

markg wrote:The first run of CF Military in S30V was in the 500 range.
Actually, there were 400 produced total. 65 of them were numbered for the collector club, and 335 were sold to the public. ;) :)
markg

Post by markg »

[quote="fellyjr"]Actually, there were 400 produced total. 65 of them were numbered for the collector club, and 335 were sold to the public. ]

Close counts for horseshoes, hand grenades, and knife runs... :D
fellyjr

Post by fellyjr »

markg wrote:Close counts for horseshoes, hang grenades, and knife runs... :D
LOL!! :D

Let me clarify that the only reason I know this is a post from Kristi a while back when the S30V CF Mili was first released.

Your right though about being close. That's about as good as it gets when trying to figure out just how many of ANY knife Spyderco makes. ;)
Vincent

Post by Vincent »

I doubt it will be 6 months, I mean Arend just got one from sal. Sal also said they were in the process of making them and 400 knives doesn't take all to long to make. Il sell my Military to get this one. I want a SE.
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

I would love an SE version too Vincent, but Sal said they will be PE only. That also makes the one Arend got that much more special. ;)

I also hope they are out soon too. I just can't help but love the Mili now that I have one. Thanks to you Vincent I now have to have another knife I would have never wanted. :D
Vincent

Post by Vincent »

[quote="David Lowry"]I would love an SE version too Vincent, but Sal said they will be PE only. That also makes the one Arend got that much more special. ]

Oh this sucks, I should have read the entire thread.

Sal can we have a few in SE. Please please please
WinstonWolf

Timeline?

Post by WinstonWolf »

Any word on the timeline of this knife? When is it expected to hit distribution? I have pre-ordered mine and my dealer has two more on order so I know that I will get mine (and maybe even a 2nd one to just admire). I'd like to know when my pocketbook is going to feel that hit, that is all.

WW
Jeff/1911

Post by Jeff/1911 »

Oh boy, am I ever excited to hear about these knives! I sure hope I can get my hands on one before they are gone!

Hi Sal. :)
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

Knifeworks.com said about 5-6 months out. I hope they don't know what they are talking about. I hope it's like in a couple weeks or a month or so.

Either way It doesn't really matter to me now. I have to wait for a CPM-D2 Para-Military in Green to spend my money. I would love to have both the Military and a Para in Foliage Green but I can only do one right now. I'm gonna chance waiting for the Para. I realize that one may never be made, but I'll takes my chances. :D
WinstonWolf

They are IN!

Post by WinstonWolf »

I just got a message from my dealer, the knife is in and I will have it my paws by Saturday!

I hope the rest of you are getting similar messages.

WW
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

Thankfully I was just able to order two. I'll be carrying one and throwing one in the closet as a backup.
spyderdog

Post by spyderdog »

I just got mine ordered too! Can't wait to get this one...it'll be my first millie :D Not sure how many the dealer I called got, but now they're gone already, and they're only expecting 5 more in this week. Did we ever hear how many of these are being made??
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I was really looking foreward to this knife and the CPM ized D2. I was going to run the grit all the way up to 6000 and see how it does with a fine polish, something regular D2 doesn't do well due to the large carbides.

I have about 4 regular D2 knives to compare. As luck would have it a large vet bill, and a water pipe bursting in my wall have depleted my finances to the point I'll be lucky to be eating this coming month, with the electricity still on.

Maybe they will still be available in a few months. I wouldn't bet on it the way my luck has gone this year. One thing that can be counted on is having food for my dog. He'll eat well no matter what.

I reccomend everybody that can buy this one to do it. It should be a special knife. Last I heard there will be no more runs of CPM D2 ( From CPM, they complained of difficulties making this steel for some reason, no details given), though Sal and Kristi should know the latest. Get em while you can. Heck, get two. Joe
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"