talk me into using my old calypso jr.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
crunch716

talk me into using my old calypso jr.

Post by crunch716 »

hi guys! i've had a gray vg-10 calypso jr. for some time now. i really love this knife and ive kept it in my safe as my benchmark of sharpness (and also because its soo pretty and smooth :p ). its the only spydie i havent used yet because i was scared to lose the lightsabre-like sharpness. however, ive gotten some really good results with the sharpmaker and im pretty confident that i can put the edge back on it.

so, do u guys think caly jr. should stay in the safe for collection/benchmark purposes? or should i use it as my EDC? i really want to use it, but im afraid that i wont be able to get anything like it again since they dont make 'em like this anymore...

Bruceter

Post by Bruceter »

USE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Calypso Jr. is a cutting machine, the flat grind and VG-10 are a great combination. I don't think you would regret using it at all. The grind makes it easy to resharpen on a Sharpmaker.

Bruceter
crunch716

Post by crunch716 »

peer pressure building up... haha! i really want to use it, but knowing the kluts that i am, it will have scuffs and other "character" marks on it within a week. its such a beautiful knife. (i know its not one of the high-end spydies, but this has a certain appeal to me)
Capt. Carl

Post by Capt. Carl »

Thats weird, I am one who looks forward to scuffing up my spydies so I can feel more attached to them I guess. Like we've been through a lot of stuff together. The only way to fully appreciate the model and its abilities is to use it for EDC. Then you will like it even more, I guarantee it. Use it and while you are at it pick up a ZDP version that is even way more sharp than the VG-10 version. Only 60 dollars at Savsonswordsandknives.com - where I got mine.
PSU

Post by PSU »

Would you rather look at it occasionally from your safe or would you rather see it everyday as your trusty EDC??? For me the answer would be simple...use it.

Although you could opt for the easier solution...buy a ZDP Caly Jr to use & keep the Grey Jr in the safe ;)
People say, oh it's dangerous to keep weapons in the home, or the workplace. Well I say, it's better to be hurt by someone you know, accidentally, than by a stranger, on purpose. - Dwight The Office

It's okay for me to talk about my job, as long as I'm not specific. I am the Sergeant of a three-man Rapid Tactical Force at one of America's largest indoor retail shopping areas. - Gecko_45

The more you learn about knives, the better Spyderco looks. - Sal
JD Spydo

Do it!!! Just Do IT!!!!!

Post by JD Spydo »

I've been carrying my Burgundy Calypso Jr ZDP model since I bought it back in July of 05.

Granted mine is a different blade steel but there ain't a thing in the world wrong with VG-10 either.

So I surely can't see what on GOD's Blue Planet would hold you back :)
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

Someone on here said (I think it was someone quoting Sal) something like....

Not using a Spyderco is taking away like 75% of what it was designed to do. I wish someone would chime in with the correct quote because it was a good one.

I say use it. It's a cutting beast!

I think if you don't use it and it just sits around you will be doing it a disservice.
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
Brad S.

Post by Brad S. »

Well if you cant bring yourself to use it, I think you should send it to me. I'll take good care of it for you. You know, I'll keep it sharp and all that. :)

Goodness gracious man, USE IT.
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

Crunch716,

I sympathize with you. Some months ago I have had the same "problem". The grey Calypso Jr. is a really beauty with it's grey clip :p
PSU wrote:... Although you could opt for the easier solution...buy a ZDP Caly Jr to use & keep the Grey Jr in the safe ;)
That's the way I did.
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
boxer93

Post by boxer93 »

Use It.
Today I'm carrying my Black VG10 Caly Jr. I have resharpened the edge well enough that I'm using it to cut the balsa wood on the rockets I am building. I often carry my BRG Caly Jr at work for it's better with NKP. I like the VG10 Caly Jrs very much. They were a VERY well priced blade vs. the ZDP versions. I wonder what a sprint run would cost me :D
Chris
Be Excellent to each other.
Harry White

Post by Harry White »

USE IT! i have a gray vg-10 caly jr and its part of my edc rotation (all my spydies are -- i don't buy them to have them sit around). its such a lightweight and thin-bladed cutter that its a shame to let it go unused. mine has scratches on the blade and, as has been said, they give it character and personality.

great pics btw! love the b&w clarity!
Users: SS Police PE, Delica 4 PE, Kopa Cocobolo, Blue Dodo SE, Yellow Pacific Salt PE, Micarta SPOT SE, Gray Calypso Jr, Temperance SE, Burgandy Jess Horn w/ZDP, UK Penknife, BB Delica 3 PE, Captain, CF Military w/BG-42, Lava, Caly3 SE, Para-Military SE, Manix CE, BB Para-Military SE, Delica 4 Wave, Ocelot CE, SpyderFly, Navigator II SE, Vagabond, D'Allara Drop Point CE, Black Assist I, Bug Set (and also: Sharpmaker, SS byrd Finch PE, Profile Set, byrd Firebyrd, Large Spyderpac, byrd Wings)
crunch716

Post by crunch716 »

thanks for the encouragement, guys! its just what i need. will be trying to ease it into my EDC rotation to replace my "s".. that thing just gathers up too much lint sometimes.

thanks for the kind words bout the pics, Harry! believe it or not, i just used a cameraphone and my surefire.
crunch716

Post by crunch716 »

PSU wrote: Although you could opt for the easier solution...buy a ZDP Caly Jr to use & keep the Grey Jr in the safe ;)
believe me, i wouldve done that long ago. im way over in the Philippines and so far i've only gotten my spydies from the local knife shops. they dont seem to update their stock and if they do, they just bring in a couple of models. plus, im paying well over retail already.
u guys in the states really got it good, u know.
Gills

Post by Gills »

crunch716 wrote:believe me, i wouldve done that long ago. im way over in the Philippines and so far i've only gotten my spydies from the local knife shops. they dont seem to update their stock and if they do, they just bring in a couple of models. plus, im paying well over retail already.
u guys in the states really got it good, u know.
I second that!!!! am from the Philippines too and its very hard to get knives in this neck of the woods.. so picking up an extra or replacement piece takes quite a bit of resources and hunting at times... not to mention the other "collectors" who have exactly the same taste in knives.... right crunch?!?!? :D :D hehehe
i.v

Post by i.v »

Not using that Caly is like:

Having a car, but not driving it.

Having a house, but living outside.

Having a home cooked meal waiting at home, but buying a sandwich.

Having free first row tickets to a ball game, but watching it on TV.

Nothing is irreplacable, if you can't find another Caly (should you ever need to) there are lots of other great :spyder: 's out there.
Use it in good health, enjoy it and let it do what a lightsabre does best - cut :D
cobrajoe

Post by cobrajoe »

These are some inspiring words. I'm currently having the same argument with myself over the use of my C44 big Dyad. It's a beautiful knife and I'd love to use it, but I just cant get myself to carry it.

Ah heck, I'll take it to work tommara, but I know I'll have a couple of back ups for when the work gets really tough :D
MEMBER OF THE INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE
Medic

Post by Medic »

I say carry it, because its my EDC! caly-3 is my pretty knife.
uhiforgot

Post by uhiforgot »

i.v wrote:Not using that Caly is like:

Nothing is irreplacable, if you can't find another Caly (should you ever need to) there are lots of other great :spyder: 's out there.
Use it in good health, enjoy it and let it do what a lightsabre does best - cut :D
Uh... YEAH! Ditto to all of what he said!

Seriously, if you need another one, you can find a ZDP CJ at NGK for a pretty fair price.

A very wise man once told me "Eat to live; don't live to eat." ...To my knowledge that's the only stupid thing he's ever said.
crunch716

Post by crunch716 »

yeah, u tell 'em Gills! the only suitable replacement for my caly jr. is a caly III, and over here, its going to cost around 170 usd. :(
i.v wrote:Not using that Caly is like:

alright i.v., those are some pretty convincing words (although sometimes i really do prefer a sandwich to a home-cooked meal :p ). the caly jr. is clipped to my pocket as i type. its taken its place into my rotation and in a few mins, it will be going out into the world (mall) with me. ;)
LowTEC

Post by LowTEC »

Definitely, use it. I've been EDC my Caly Jr. ZDP ever since the day I got it. It's so sharp that it makes all my other collection into dust collecting models, I've yet to experience any other blade that is sharper (is there any, anyone?). Caly Jr is so light it just disappear, I always have to check if I've forgot to bring it on me. :cool: