Prices in Japan?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Sharpy_swe

Prices in Japan?

Post by Sharpy_swe »

My brother is likely going for a trip to Japan, so I was wondering if the prices on the Seki City made Spyderco’s is cheaper there than USA?
fellyjr

Post by fellyjr »

I was told by a person that has shopped for knives in Japan that the prices seem to be at or above full MSRP.

You might want to try and contact Spyderwa here on the forum. He's been there and knows a bit about buying knives in Japan. ;)
Knifewing

Japan Prices

Post by Knifewing »

Please post any info you have or find. I'm going to Japan in March to visit my daughter, who's spending her junior year in Kyoto. I've been thinking about that titanium Delica...
Sharpy_swe

Post by Sharpy_swe »

titanium Delica :eek: :eek: :eek:
spyderwa

Knives in Japan

Post by spyderwa »

Thanks for the heads up Felly. Spydercos are available in some of the better knife stores but they are not cheap. Sometimes you can find older models that have been sitting on the shelves for a while. The concept of sale prices or discount pricing is not very widespread at all. I know of a few knife stores in Tokyo as well as a few other locations. I have a Ti Delica but I bought it here by mail order rather than on one of my trips. I would consider looking in the stores for other brands as well as Spyderco that have different non-imported models.
Of far more importance to any knife guy that wants to travel and purchase knives in Japan are the rules about carrying knives. Even though they have a long history of edged tools they also have very restrictive laws with very harsh punishments. A foreigner with knives is a very attractive target for the police. As far as carrying a knife in my pocket I stuck with a Swiss Army Classic. Everything that I bought I sealed into slender shipping boxes and sealed as I was carrying them from the shop thus giving myself the excuse of "taking them to the Post Office to ship". Recently a driver found with a small camping knife of over 2.5" blade length was sent to jail for six months. He had a SAK knife in his glove box. Japan can be a great place to shop for knives and can be a lot of fun. You just need to be careful.

spyderwa

Rare Spyderco Page
http://www.angelfire.com/trek/spyderwa
Sharpy_swe

Post by Sharpy_swe »

Thanks for the info :)
OrangeJoe

Mini Thread Hijack

Post by OrangeJoe »

Since this is up, let me ask:

Desirable Non-Import models from Spyderco. Which models?

Where can we -those of us not flying over- get those models online?

Thanks.
Occasionally men stumble upon the truth, most times they pick themselves up and walk away as if nothing happened.
boxer93

Post by boxer93 »

OJoe,
I have had good luck with this company in the past. I believe the last time I ordered, they allowed credit cards through the website.
Also not everything on the website is in stock.
Good Luck.
Chris

http://www.hamonoichiba.com/english/index.html
Be Excellent to each other.