Carbon Fiber Harpy Question

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
spyderdog

Carbon Fiber Harpy Question

Post by spyderdog »

I've been looking at some CF Harpys. I looked back and saw some previous threads about the shiny CF used on the Harpy, and read that there are often chips or cracks in it. Sounds like it might just be the nature of the type of CF used. I'm wondering for anyone out there that carries one of these if they've developed any problems, or if the CF holds up even with the imperfections that it starts with?

thanks
So-Lo

Post by So-Lo »

I want a CF SE harpy to be my first hawkbill ! :D

I also would like to know how they hold up to EDC, as I am a user and not a collector. Mine would see lots of pocket time.

:cool:
Agent Starling

Post by Agent Starling »

spyderdog wrote:I've been looking at some CF Harpys. I looked back and saw some previous threads about the shiny CF used on the Harpy, and read that there are often chips or cracks in it. Sounds like it might just be the nature of the type of CF used. I'm wondering for anyone out there that carries one of these if they've developed any problems, or if the CF holds up even with the imperfections that it starts with?

thanks
Spyderdog,
I have a CF harpy that has a glossy coating on it...I believe that's what you mean. I bought it new and haven't had it that long, so no chips or cracks to report. The coating looks like it might get scuffed up after it sees a lot of carry time and use. Still a nice knife though! :D

Starling
"Too many was too many, but way too many was just right."
spyderdog

Post by spyderdog »

Starling....yes, that's the one I'm referring to. I'd seen in other threads that the carbon fiber often was jagged around the hardware in the scales, 9sometimes cracked) and that it was difficult to drill into without that happening. Glad to hear yours has held up.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

The chips and cracks people talk about on shiny CF are small, fish scale shaped flakes. The are located around the pins and lanyard pipe. They are strictly cosmetic, and have no bearing at all on the strength of the handle since they are confined to the clear resin above the cloth. The resin used is quite hard, and, somewhat like the material used to make stone blades, will flake if sufficient pressure is applied to small area. The difference is that the flakes tend to remain in place, rather than falling off. Drilling CF for those holes sometimes applies the pressure needed to create one or more small flakes. Disassembling and overtightening a screw can also create them. While not particularly attractive, I would not classify them as a defect since they do not impact the functionality or life expectancy of the knife.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
tglahn17

Post by tglahn17 »

Hi, spyderdog.

I got a CF Harpy SE a few weeks ago. I've carried it every day since I got it. I see some minor chipping and flaking of the finish around the screws, but it doesn't bother me at all. I used to think that hawkbills were a little psycho. Then I saw an incredible deal on the Internet for this one (NIB). Now it's my favorite Spyderco. The CF scales are so thin and light that the whole piece feels like the Aristotelean essence of blade and lock. If you can get a CF Harpy, get it. Good luck,
Jeff/1911

Post by Jeff/1911 »

Could one of you post a picture of this knife?

Thanks, Jeff/1911.
fellyjr

Post by fellyjr »

Jeff/1911 wrote:Could one of you post a picture of this knife?

Thanks, Jeff/1911.
No problemo! ;)

Jeff/1911

Post by Jeff/1911 »

fellyjr,

WOW! Is that ever nice! :eek:

I used to own a G10 Harpy, in serrated edge..,.I was thinking of trying to track down another, but that PE CF Harpy is wicked! :)

What dealer has a good price on them?

EDIT - I see they were produced in a Sprint run...I'll start searching.

Thanks a lot - Jeff.
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

@Jeff/1911: Good source is Ebay. Plain version is rare nowadays, IMHO a CF Harpy in SE has more "optical snap" :cool:

Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
spyderdog

Post by spyderdog »

nice pics Peter. I'm going to have to go ahead and get one. Both yours and Felly's look they they barely have any noticeable spots in the carbon fiber
Michael Cook

Post by Michael Cook »

:spyder: Very nice pics! :spyder:
More of what does not work will not work. Robin Cooper, Rokudan; Aikikai.

There is great power in the profound observation of the obvious. John Stone, Rokudan; Aikikai
Spyharpy

Post by Spyharpy »

I much prefer carbon fiber knives. They are much lighter and feel stealthy when you carry them. You can't go wrong with these babies. It's my favorite Spydie. Here's my clan. :D

white cloud

Post by white cloud »

spyharpy....very very nice!
fellyjr

Post by fellyjr »

Spyharpy wrote: Image
Does anyone know where I can find a plain edge carbon fiber Harpy? :p :p :D :D
zenheretic

Post by zenheretic »

fellyjr wrote:Does anyone know where I can find a plain edge carbon fiber Harpy? :p :p :D :D
Nope you SOL.
Follow the mushin, but pay it no heed.
bluemist

Post by bluemist »

My CF SE has none of the chips described, it does have one of the loudest sharpest clicks of all my spydies. I love it.
spyder spyder spyder spyder
Simple Man

Post by Simple Man »

fellyjr wrote:Does anyone know where I can find a plain edge carbon fiber Harpy? :p :p :D :D
No PE, but Sierra should be marking down their SE CF Harpies before too long. ;)
Romans 8:31 ....If God is for us, who can be against us? - <><

The Spyderco hole is a rotating mechanical assembly of one part.

".....tractors don't have to look like Ferraris" -Sal