Haven't seen much about the P'kal lately

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
catamount

Haven't seen much about the P'kal lately

Post by catamount »

I'm thinking of ordering one. Those of you that have it, how are you liking it so far?
Tom

[url]http://spydercovt.com[/URL]
Sequimite wrote:I use knives. I collect experiences.

I'm an admirer of Spyderco's designs. Using them is like immersing yourself in music or studying a painting in a museum. I buy some "fine" art but my preference is for usable art.
Junior avatar courtesy of dialex
flyguy

Post by flyguy »

I don't have one, but I did play with one once. The lock is cool, I hope we see more EDC-style knives with that type of lock...
merciful

Post by merciful »

In a couple of days, you'll be hearing my initial impressions.
Those who give up their freedom for safety will soon find that they have neither.[SIZE="-1"][/size]
markg

Post by markg »

It is a well made knife, with pretty high levels of detail. Being a specialized knife, it will appeal to a certain group of people. Also, given that it is made for a certain type of grip, it limits some people's interest even more.

Mine sees carry time, from time to time.
Michael Cook

Post by Michael Cook »

:spyder: I've been carrying and training with mine for about a month now. It's awesome. The techniques are crude and lacking in finesse but exceedingly potent and destructive.

I did flip the clip back to sabre draw after it opened in my pocket and bit me, it's more consistant to me to draw into Filipino sabre either edge in or out any way. Well worth the money. :spyder:
More of what does not work will not work. Robin Cooper, Rokudan; Aikikai.

There is great power in the profound observation of the obvious. John Stone, Rokudan; Aikikai
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I'd pretty much agree with Mark - inovative, technically sophisticated, very well made, highly specialized, but optimized for a style of use that is not well suited to most common EDC chores. Will only add that for all the quality, it's a typical Goldlen built knife, a bit on the cobby side. Can't see it being carried for long as their sole EDC by anyone who actually uses their knife for more mundane purposes than deanimanting two legged vermin.

Mine will either remain in my display case, or get sold / traded off - more likely the later, since it does not really fit in with any of the sub-groups of my collection.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
markg

Post by markg »

Michael Cook wrote:
I did flip the clip back to sabre draw after it opened in my pocket and bit me, it's more consistant to me to draw into Filipino sabre either edge in or out any way. Well worth the money. :spyder:
If you do get one, I do suggest you do what Mike has suggested (put the clip on the other side).

For one, if you are used to the wave opening, you will like it better off the back of the pocket (like every other wave) and not the front seam. It also is safer to carry this way.

Second, I also find it is easier to transition into a reverse grip this way also.
Agent Starling

Post by Agent Starling »

markg wrote:It is a well made knife, with pretty high levels of detail. Being a specialized knife, it will appeal to a certain group of people. Also, given that it is made for a certain type of grip, it limits some people's interest even more.

Mine sees carry time, from time to time.
Interesting that the p'kal has been brought up as I was examining mine last nite and thinking that you actually could use it like a regular knife if you wanted to, it's very comfortable to hold in that position.

I bought mine not too long after they came out even though I'm not trained in using it the way it's intended...yet. :D But by the time I do get trained the knife might be hard to find or an expensive collector's item, so I bought mine now because it's a cool hawkbill and very well made! :cool:

Now if only it came in bright pink... :p

Agent Starling
"Too many was too many, but way too many was just right."
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

markg wrote:If you do get one, I do suggest you do what Mike has suggested (put the clip on the other side).

For one, if you are used to the wave opening, you will like it better off the back of the pocket (like every other wave) and not the front seam. It also is safer to carry this way.

Second, I also find it is easier to transition into a reverse grip this way also.
Of, if you're left handed, say "holy crap, for once the put the clip on the right way" ;) :D
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
fellyjr

Post by fellyjr »

ExSpAgtStarling wrote:
Now if only it came in bright pink... :p

Agent Starling
Agent Starling, could you say that a little louder!! :D :D
ruxton

Post by ruxton »

http://youtube.com/watch?v=e-p4YmUJ4PA

-Video from Southnarc on p'kal carry/deployment.

I'll be buying mine when I get paid this week :)
"Even though I, Bruce Lee, may die some day without fulfilling all of my ambitions, I will have no regrets. I did what I wanted to do and what I've done, I've done with sincerity and to the best of my ability." - Bruce Lee
donutsrule

I've been very happy with mine...

Post by donutsrule »

I've EDC'd my P'kal (and my Dodo) as long as I've had it (them). :)

The handle is comfortable in plenty of different grips. It waves reliably.

I carry it either clipped or loose in my pocket as wisdom dictates.

Advantages to clipped: You can draw it while seated. You don't have to stuff your hand in your pocket to draw it.

Advantage to loose: Less visible. You can wave it forward or rearward or just open it like a regular pocket knife without scaring the bejeezus out of people.
markg

Post by markg »

ruxton wrote:http://youtube.com/watch?v=e-p4YmUJ4PA

-Video from Southnarc on p'kal carry/deployment.

I'll be buying mine when I get paid this week :)
Cool, thanks for the link. :)