Utility SE.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

My small Rescue with a VG-10 blade has cut all kinds of cardboard and banding ( I mean a LOT ), and the edge is still like new, so there's my vote.

- best wishes, Jazz.
hanswurst

Post by hanswurst »

This isn't the smallest or lightest suggestion, but don't forget the D'Allara Rescue. Since you'd be carrying the knife in a pack, the extra size wouldn't matter (it is a pocket hog), but on the other hand ,the size and shape of the handle is perfect for a secure grip during heavy duty use.
Manix Guy 2

Post by Manix Guy 2 »

The Endura 4 SE has been my favorite thanks to listening to Spydutch . I have to also agree the ATR would fit the bill if weight is not a problem . Regards MG2
The General

Post by The General »

Firstly I would go with a Spyderco with an adjustable pivot. You don't want to fall foul of any knife being called a gravity knife and you can tighten down a knife like the Delica and Endura 4.

Secondly, no offence mate, but you are hard on your knives and both S30V and to a much greater extent ZDP189 are getting varied results in serrated knives. ZDP189 is being shown to be an excellent steel in plain edge, but many are saying its darn chippy in a serrated edge. I have not had an issue with my S30V Military SE but then I don't really use it much.

S30V either way NEEDS a polished edge. No question. I have shown this many times. Proved it to myself and others. Chipping with S30V? Almost every time its a failure to polish and strop the steel.

So, I think your best bet steel wise is VG10 or H1

This does narrow your choices down a little.

The SALTS do not have an adjustable pivot though so I would stay away from those. Unless you are skilled enough to adjust the rivet and you know how to do this?

The Caly 3 SE in VG-10 seems to me the obvious choice. Or a SALT if you can handle the rivet and possible gravity knife problems.
My real name is Wayne :D
So-Lo

Post by So-Lo »

The General wrote:either way NEEDS a polished edge. No question. I have shown this many times. Proved it to myself and others. Chipping with S30V? Almost every time its a failure to polish and strop the steel.
IMHO this is not true. :o

Spyderco gives us a very course edge from factory, and they are known industry wide for the level of sharpness they have. Yes you can polish S-30V and it does well, but by no means does S30V NEED to be polished.....................................IMHO :cool:

Chipping for me is not a problem on any of my S30V blades (SE included), but I have heard of it. Either way I mean no harm in this post just thought I would share my opinion. :)
The General

Post by The General »

So-Lo Kustoms wrote:IMHO this is not true. :o

Spyderco gives us a very course edge from factory, and they are known industry wide for the level of sharpness they have. Yes you can polish S-30V and it does well, but by no means does S30V NEED to be polished.....................................IMHO :cool:

Chipping for me is not a problem on any of my S30V blades (SE included), but I have heard of it. Either way I mean no harm in this post just thought I would share my opinion. :)

Glad to hear anothers point of view! :)

The edge on all my S30V blades from Spyderco have been as you say very course. I expect this is down to the high cost of grinding S30V rather than a performance preference.

All my S30V knives that chipped (micro chipping) with light use had a course edge from new. Sharpening and polishing the edge stopped this problem for me. YMMV. :D
My real name is Wayne :D
i.v

Post by i.v »

I also don't think there's a need for S30V to be polished. There's not knife I used more in the past 5 years than my Native (SE), I've had with me for most of my 3 year military service and I still take it with me every time I get called for reserve service (about 40 days a year). It's been used and used hard, the edge was never polished and no chips have ever occurred.

On a different note, all knives suggested here are equally great, I don't think you can really be disappointed with either of them.

Screws and rivets are a matter of personal preference I think.
In the end, if you're not sure about SE (even though it's the greatest thing ever :D ) just go with a lower cost one, that way if you're disappointed at least you'll be able to afford a nice new PE one to compensate ;)
Vincent

Post by Vincent »

My good friend spydutch hit me with a great gesture today and I am so great full to him,I hope one day I can repay him. Arend is really that great of a guy, thank you sir. So I will be going with a SE MIlitary in S30V.

As for everybody's else recommendations, I am sure I will hold those knives sometimes in the future, if SE is as good as everybody says it is.
dialex

Post by dialex »

Hi Vincent.
And I was thinking you should ask Arend what SE to choose... :rolleyes: Looks like he already beat me to this - and in such manner! :) Congrats on your new fine knife. There are things where a SE excells, you'll see. :)
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.
saltydog

Post by saltydog »

I rather loved the old Remote Release in SE - wasn't anything that tough old blade couldn't handle. I sawed through an aluminum downspout one winter day to release an ice jam that was backing up water under my roof.

the para-mil, l'il temerance, pacific salt are all SE choices that are good

Happy hunting!
><((('< ~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My dream Spyderco: H1 folder with G-10, H1 or MICARTA scale. Time to lose the FRN only attitude with regard to H1
JD Spydo

Serration's finest hour

Post by JD Spydo »

Doc Snubnose is right on when he talks about the serrated version of the Massad Ayoob. I recently turned down a $150 offer for my USER serrated Ayoob. It's just that great of a tool for me and it is one well designed serrated blade configuration.

Another great serrated Spyderco blade is the fully serrated blade on my C-44 big Dyad. It is kind of a well kept secret. Both of the blades on the big Dyad are special but the serrated blade on the big Dyad can take one some pretty awesome jobs with no problem.

One last super serrated Spyderco blade is the 440V fully serrated Military model. It is another very aggressive serrated blade. There are others but those are 3 really super aggressive SE Spyder blades.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!