CF Durability?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ss Navigator

CF Durability?

Post by ss Navigator »

Can anyone speak to the durability of the CF used in the zdp caly 3's. Is the zdp and CF worth the money or is the g-10 version not far behind. I'm not familiar with zdp or CF. Thanks for your input.
JD Spydo

Yes to both questions

Post by JD Spydo »

I don't have that particular knife but I can speak to both materials. First of all ZDP-189 blade steel is top notch. I carry a Calypso JR with ZDP-189 and it has been one of my every day carry knives for 2 years now and the blade steel has been a super performer.

Both variations of Carbon Fiber that Spyderco uses are very durable handle materials. I tend to like the first generation glossy type CF a little better than the newer Peel Ply CF. But both of them have their advantages and disadvantages. But as far as CF being great handle material it certainly is.

I look for more Carbon Fiber technology down the road. Especially with all of this new nanotech material coming down the pipeline. JD
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
Joshua J.

Post by Joshua J. »

I’ve carried my ZDP-189 Caly 3 for a few months now (light use only). So far the CF isn’t showing any scuffs or discoloration, but it’ll take a while longer to tell how well it really holds out.
From what I can see there are two reasons to get the ZDP Caly 3. 1. If you want a really good platform to use ZDP-189. 2. If you really like the Caly 3 and want one with carbon fiber scales.
If you aren’t specifically going after either material then the regular G-10 Caly 3 is an excellent choice and will save you $50.
At the same time if you have the cash to spare and are looking for a knife that is good looking and will take your sharpening skills further than ever before the ZDP-189 Caly 3 is hard to beat.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

I dropped my CF ZDP Caly 3 on concrete, closed position (fumbled the draw), and have a pinhead chip on the handle WHERE THE BOLSTER SHOULD BE. (Sorry about that, riding my hobby horse there for a moment.) I would say very, very minor damage for a nasty flying head-on with concrete. You would not notice it unless I pointed it out to you under good lighting conditions. Deacon gave a great link awhile back comparing the different types of synth materials available and I walked away from that with a new appreciation for CF's toughness.

ZDP is a leap forward in my opinion. Love it. Yes it really is harder. Worth the money? I think so. A CF Caly3 is all dessert.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
cedjunior

Post by cedjunior »

I've got a CF Military with the raw/textured CF handle. It is showing some signs of the first layer peeling along a few points on the machined edge of the cf where the cf curves outward. (along the "spine" of the handle and where the handle curves out after the linerlock). I've had it for about a month. Not a hard user, infact most days it doesn't even leave my pocket.