Okay, semi-retired from knives, thanks to you all =]

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
GarageBoy

Okay, semi-retired from knives, thanks to you all =]

Post by GarageBoy »

Yea, I'm done EDCing. Don't get me wrong, I'll still collect and contribute here (what I can, anyways), but knives= way to much flak for a NYCer, plus I don't do anything that a SAK (good enough steel for me) in my backpack wont do. (maybe except open blister packs, if anyone knows how, please let me know)

Since my summons, I've taken it easy and went down to a Delica.
Even so, I've heard of at least 6-7 more guys "busted" for knives. One of my friends was even arrested because his record store was selling ink that they weren't supposed to be selling to minors and later charged with carrying a weapon (he was in store property, opening boxes with it)
My job has me walking in and out of metal detectored buildings.
I don't use my Delica much to begin with, just little jobs I can use other tools for

Too much hassle and potential for trouble in NYC for this hobby

Thanks again for everyone's support and insights

Now, tell me when Spydie makes a SAK
huugh

Post by huugh »

GarageBoy wrote:Yea, I'm done EDCing. Don't get me wrong, I'll still collect and contribute here (what I can, anyways), but knives= way to much flak for a NYCer, plus I don't do anything that a SAK (good enough steel for me) in my backpack wont do. (maybe except open blister packs, if anyone knows how, please let me know)

Since my summons, I've taken it easy and went down to a Delica.
Even so, I've heard of at least 6-7 more guys "busted" for knives. One of my friends was even arrested because his record store was selling ink that they weren't supposed to be selling to minors and later charged with carrying a weapon (he was in store property, opening boxes with it)
I don't use my Delica much to begin with, just little jobs I can use other tools for

Thanks again for everyone's support and insights

Now, tell me when Spydie makes a SAK
Maybe you should stop singing this :)
My country, 'tis of thee,
Sweet land of liberty,
merciful

Post by merciful »

Friend "You'd love NYC, man! You'd fit right in: it'd be an unbelievable holiday for you!"

Me (snapping open Yojimbo) Yeah, great: where they can't stop crazy guys from crashing planes into buildings, but they'll hassle an honest guy for carrying a knife. I'll pass.

Friend Yeah, I suppose a weekend in jail isn't much of a holiday. (Hums Law & Order theme.)
Those who give up their freedom for safety will soon find that they have neither.[SIZE="-1"][/size]
J Smith

Post by J Smith »

huugh wrote:Maybe you should stop singing this :)
Ain't that the truth.
Some areas of the US is worse that Russia used to be.
[CENTER]0 0[/CENTER]
[CENTER]<[/CENTER]
[CENTER]\____/[/CENTER]
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

It's a shame, Garage Boy. I think it's pretty easy to determine the cause of this restrictiveness, given the dominance of a certain political party in highly restrictive areas, but I'll not launch into a diatribe for fear of diverting the thread into a political discussion. Let's just say, it's a shame, and leave it at that. I do believe that Spyderco will be putting out a politically correct urban folder soon; Sal has said so.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
eastr

Post by eastr »

uh bryd and spyderco do ofer a multi tool :eek:
"THE ROUGH RIDER”“FAR BETTER IT IS TO DARE MIGHTY THINGS..THAN TO TAKE RANK WITH THOSE POOR. TIMID SPIRITS WHO KNOW NEITHER VICTORY NOR DEFEAT.” THEODORE ROOSEVELT 1899
spyderco making mans oldest tool mans most advanced tool:spyder:
THE GREATSET POWER IS OFTEN SIMPLE PATIENECE
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Garageboy, I'm not going to get into the politics. I just want to say I hope you still contribute, and hang out here now and again. You seem like a good guy that had some bad luck. Your forthright and honest reports may have raised soime hackles here but it also inspired most all of us to rethink our daily habits. I know I made some adjustments, and did a lot of thinking. I'm just sorry it was at some other persons expense. That's not my favorite way to learn.

Good luck, good future and good hunting. Joe
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Sorry gang, guess I'm the odd man out on this, but I think the idea that folks should have a god-given right to use the public transportation system in a city of eight million people with a large folding knife IN PLAIN SIGHT is a bit unrealistic. Fact is, if garageboy had been spotted in the NYC subway system with a claw hammer stuck in his belt or screwdriver dangling out of his pocket, the result would have been the same. Only difference might have been that instead of using the threat of "gravity knife" charges as a way of saying "zip your lip and sign the ticket" the cop might have used "posession of burglary tools".

The simple fact is, if he'd been carrying his Para-Military the way he now proposes to carry a SAK, he never would have be ticketed. For that matter, if he had been carrying it IN his pocket rather than sticking OUT OF his pocket, he would never have been ticketed.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
bluemist

Post by bluemist »

Deacon, your tune would be quite different if it had happened to you, that is my opinion.. a criminal conceals his knife for fear of getting "caught".. A righteous individual won't do that, that is what garage boy is saying, if he can't righteously carry his spydie he will not carry it at all... NYC or PoDunk, Oklahoma.. it shoudn't matter.. cracking down on all individuals for the infractions of a few is like killing a fly with a wrecking ball.. it just makes a mess and you miss the fly.
spyder spyder spyder spyder
merciful

Post by merciful »

I think he (and everybody else) should have the right to carry whatever the **** he wants to carry around so long as he isn't doing harm with it. LEOs carry weapons around daily: every once in a while one goes off and whacks a civilian; but there's no outcry to disarm the police.

I'm off to a city of about a million tomorrow for holiday, and I'll be riding with a Yojimbo in my pocket, a Ronin on my bag, and nice neck knife just for fun. Legally, as well as righteously, fortunately for me.

As Heinlein wrote:
The Deacon wrote:Sorry gang, guess I'm the odd man out on this, but I think the idea that folks should have a god-given right to use the public transportation system in a city of eight million people with a large folding knife IN PLAIN SIGHT is a bit unrealistic.
Those who give up their freedom for safety will soon find that they have neither.[SIZE="-1"][/size]
merciful

Post by merciful »

I think he (and everybody else) should have the right to carry whatever the **** he wants to carry around so long as he isn't doing harm with it. LEOs carry weapons around daily: every once in a while one goes off and whacks a civilian; but there's no outcry to disarm the police.

I'm off to a city of about a million tomorrow for holiday, and I'll be riding with a Yojimbo in my pocket, a Ronin on my bag, and nice neck knife just for fun. Legally, as well as righteously, fortunately for me.

As Heinlein wrote: "An armed society is a polite society."
The Deacon wrote:Sorry gang, guess I'm the odd man out on this, but I think the idea that folks should have a god-given right to use the public transportation system in a city of eight million people with a large folding knife IN PLAIN SIGHT is a bit unrealistic.
merciful

Post by merciful »

And further, it promotes disrespect for the law, and thus increases the chances that other violations will be committed. Some folks will easily make the leap from "that law is dumb, I'm ignoring it" to "laws are dumb"...
bluemist wrote: cracking down on all individuals for the infractions of a few is like killing a fly with a wrecking ball.. it just makes a mess and you miss the fly.
cedjunior

Post by cedjunior »

Right or wrong (I happen to think its wrong), the more we invite government into our lives, the more we depend on it, the more we invite them to regulate our lives. Just like the governent circumvents our 4th Amendment rights through the TSA and the airlines because you're voluntarily choosing to travel, they'll violate you other rights when using governemt provided services which we're surrounded by.
tap

Post by tap »

GarageBoy wrote:Yea, I'm done EDCing. but knives= way to much flak for a NYCer, plus I don't do anything that a SAK (good enough steel for me) in my backpack wont do.

I think that most people (that carry) don't view the act of carrying a pocket knife as a "hobby". Although I think that some people carry knives that are larger than they really "need". And some people do like to have a clip or sheath showing. And there probably are some people that do carry as some sort of hobby. I would avoid telling the judge that "carrying" was a hobby. Collecting knives would be a hobby. Some judges would probably take a dim view of collecting knives. I would avoid any reference to collecting. If he questions your current knife carrying habits, I would tell him that you are "not carrying anything today, your honor". If you were so inclined, you could explain the SAK "tool". This thead might be better in the "off topic".
zenheretic

Post by zenheretic »

bluemist wrote:Deacon, your tune would be quite different if it had happened to you, that is my opinion.. a criminal conceals his knife for fear of getting "caught".. A righteous individual won't do that, that is what garage boy is saying, if he can't righteously carry his spydie he will not carry it at all... NYC or PoDunk, Oklahoma.. it shoudn't matter.. cracking down on all individuals for the infractions of a few is like killing a fly with a wrecking ball.. it just makes a mess and you miss the fly.
You do realize that in NYC, it is the law to conceal your knife don't you? That is why the Deacon says he should have done so. The Deacon's opinion is not that of one attempting to skirt the law, i.e. be a criminal, but rather one following the rule of law.

====

On a related note, anyone comparing the US to Soviet Russia should spend some time researching reality, then hang their head in shame for uttering such foolishness.

Finally whining about freedom on the internet solves nothing. Consider working to change offending laws in a positive, civilized manner instead.
Follow the mushin, but pay it no heed.
merciful

Post by merciful »

You're quite right. Unfortunately, the gap has been closing over recent years. During the Cold War, it would have been considered insane to suggest that America was running its own gulags: now, Guantanamo and extraordinary rendition allow us to believe otherwise.
zenheretic wrote:
On a related note, anyone comparing the US to Soviet Russia should spend some time researching reality, then hang their head in shame for uttering such foolishness.
bluemist

Post by bluemist »

Oh really? If the knife was concealed he would have been following the law?

You see the reason I don't know that is because it is just about as ridiculous as locking knives being contraband in the UK, it is not like he was wearing a sword, it is a pocket knife with a clip, to go in your pocket, clipped.. everyone's tune is different when something happens to them or a loved one.. that is a true fact..and you can call it whining, zen heretic, but to me it is just few guys who in their hearts know that what happened was wrong, shaking their heads and wondering "what the ****?" Self Preservation is a God given right and cannot be legislated away. So nit-pick away, be indignant, speak righteously of the "rule of law" but don't tell me of any obligation to obey an unjust law. Also, show me a recent instance of the people's will trumping the will of the lawmakers. Laws only change when they become unenforceable, meaning, everyone is breaking them.
spyder spyder spyder spyder
doubleclaw

Post by doubleclaw »

The fact that this is even a topic for discussion is why I will never set foot in NYC.

Too many pi$$ant, crybaby laws that don't amount to a hill of beans.

Good luck to you, living in that enormous rat-warren. I don't see how you stand it, but I applaud your resilience for doing so.
"Let a man never stir on his road a step
without his weapons of war;
for unsure is the knowing when need shall arise
of a spear on the way without."
-Havamal, Verse 38
cgjones

Post by cgjones »

bluemist wrote:Oh really? If the knife was concealed he would have been following the law? I find that interesting... I guess he got what was coming to him then.
Here is the exact wording from New York City Administrative Code 10-133.
c. It shall be unlawful for any person in a public place, street or
park, to wear outside of his or her clothing or carry in open view any
knife with an exposed or unexposed blade unless such person is actually
using such knife for a lawful purpose as set forth in subdivision d of
this section.
Carson
zenheretic

Post by zenheretic »

cgjones wrote:Here is the exact wording from New York City Administrative Code 10-133.
Seems quite reasonable too. A person gets to carry the tool of his choice; and he doesn't awake the weak kneed teeth gnashers up from their halcion illusions. Everybody wins.
Follow the mushin, but pay it no heed.