Explain Yourself.

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

Dear Bolstermanic and esteemed :spyder: members,

I think there is no secret with my "Peter1960" - my given name and my year of birth. Yeah, I'm very creative :D
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
armyguy

Post by armyguy »

Peter1960 wrote:Dear Bolstermanic and esteemed :spyder: members,

I think there is no secret with my "Peter1960" - my given name and my year of birth. Yeah, I'm very creative :D

I'm in the army and I'm a guy

pretty creative huh? lol
deeker

Post by deeker »

My screen name is a nickname given to me by a hockey coach when I was a pre-teen. It stuck, and is used more than my real name by most who know me. My niece and nephews didn't know who Uncle Derek was for years, but they knew who Uncle Deeker was.

No signature line. I'm not witty enough to come up with something pithy, poignant or humourous.
silverback

Post by silverback »

Ok, I can enlighten you. silverback came from a joke about me being a strong person (big guy, big ego :) ) and having a white spot on my otherwise dark hair. So my girlfriend said I was like a silverback gorilla.
As for my sig lines, they are simple quotes.

But I can also shed light on some others:
- the riddle of steel quote is from the movie "Conan the Barbarian"
- fyunchclick is from the book "The Mote in God's Eye" by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle, who are an ingenious writing team in Science Fiction.
A fyunchclick is a member of an alien caste of negotiators/diplomats. The "click" part is descriptive of a clicking sound you make in your throat or with the tongue. I highly recommend the book! ;)
Few people think more than two or three times a year; I have made an international reputation for myself by thinking once or twice a week. -George Bernard Shaw

Go is a pursuit of such value that one can devote a lifetime to it and have nothing to regret. Why not, then, challenge the limit of your powers. -Toshiro Kageyama 7-Dan
KSDbass

Post by KSDbass »

Yep, I'm with the "Uncreative" crowd. I play electric bass, and mine is made by a company called Ken Smith Designs, or KSD. My signature is a quote from Saturday Night Live with Will Ferrel.
Custom avatar courtesy of Dialex!

Bill Brasky could destroy Chuck Norris.

Just
Empty
Every
Pocket
bh49

Post by bh49 »

All right. I was 49 when I became obsessed with knives and joined BF and than Spyderco Forum. I never was member of any forums before and really never had nicknames and due to complete lack of imagination I was not able to come out to any good screen name. So I used two letters, which currently do not have any meaning and my age to create this screen name. I wanted to change it to my first name, but it was kind of late because few people already knew me like bh49.
My avatar came from two of my favorite RPGs from late 1990th Fallout/Fallout 2.

Roman
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Agent Starling

a little tangent, if i may...

Post by Agent Starling »

bh49 wrote:All right...when I became obsessed with knives and joined BF and then Spyderco Forum...
(ellipse mine)
I don't know why, but it's music to my ears every time I hear that "obsessed with knives" phrase...! :D

Starling :cool:
"Too many was too many, but way too many was just right."
So-Lo

Post by So-Lo »

Great thread, my screen name comes from my love of custom cars. I have built a few, few meaning three of mine and two for paying customers. Show cars are a labor of love, I can attest to that :cool:

OK so when I started going into forums I needed a name.

I like lowered custom cars and trucks (ridiculously low). "So-Low Kustoms" thats is its first meaning.

Now for the second, I had built two of my own Kustoms 90% on my own, so thats also why "Solo Kustoms".

I know is a little corny but I kind of like it, all though I really like my you tube name " isthisnametakin "
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

The name Mastiff comes from the breed of dogs I have raised for some time now. I currently own only one male, Finn, named after the giant that legend says, built a bridge from Ireland to Scottland to see his girlfriend. ( My ex wife was from Ireland).

You can see a small picture of Finn if you open up my name options. I have two other dogs currently, am 46, single and on a break from work for some orthepedic surgeries I need completed. Before that I was a CO, and a security guard ( two jobs for 14 years). Before that a cop, before that military. Joe
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

I got nothing... my name is in fact my first name.

My sig is composed of quotations from the Rough Rider himself and Bowie (Jim, not David), who was describing the sandbar duel that made him and his knife famous.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
- Theodore Roosevelt

"I twisted the knife until I heard his heart-strings sing."

- Jim Bowie concerning Maj. Norris Wright
squad314

Post by squad314 »

I'm a Firefighter and when I joined this Forum I was assigned to our City's Heavy Rescue Squad,or "The Squad" as it's known on the job(I've since been shifted to an Engine company but I'm not changing my name :D ).314 is my department personel number.

I always enjoy these threads. :)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear - not absence of fear.
charge

Post by charge »

mine is because I carry a Leatherman Charge Ti everyday. Since ive joined this forum the Charge has gained a few EDC friends though ;)

charge is my username on some other forums so I just kept it the same.

Very cool topic we got goin here,

charge
psimonl

Post by psimonl »

"It's better to die on your feet than live on your knees"[/QUOTE]

Weird...

Just read that on a t-shirt in the subway back home about an hour ago.....

Made think of Stephane...

Thought it was cool...

Oh... My name is Pascal Simon Lachapelle
And the sig lines are... Well, two things I like...

But they will change soons ;)

Simon
"Everyday above the ground and vertical is a good day".
-Sir A. Hopkins in "The world's Fastest Indian"

"If it hurts, it means you're not dead..."
-Kayakist Marie-Pier Cote

The Spyderco Cookbook
Sleeping Robot

It's not because I'm sleepy...

Post by Sleeping Robot »

"Sleepingrobot" came about when trying to come up with a domain name. It came out of a session of nonsensical name parings with the family. The other leading candidate from that session was yuckyoatmeal.com (which is still available, have at it!). My wife and I got a good laugh but the kids nixed that one.

Shortly after that I had to come up with screen names for some sites and it came to mind. I like the contrast between the two parts of the name so I've kept using it.

No quotes in my .sigs anymore. Too many good quotes in the world, too little time to spread them around.

Best regards,
Ron
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

I am a Disabled Vet and I am missing a chunk of muscle on the left side of my neck.
"A Delica is still a better weapon than a keyboard and a sour attitude..." Michael Janich
spydutch

Post by spydutch »

Well, not really creative: :o

Spyderco and I'm Dutch. Hence spydutch.

I guess my signatures speak for themselves ;)
Arend(old school Spydie lover)

MEMBER OF THE INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE!!!

VERY PROUD OWNER OF A CALY III/SE #043 :D

....AND A FG(PARA) MILITARY/SE IN CPMD2(thanx Sal):cool:

...I would love to have one in full SpyderEdge:p
dalefuller

Post by dalefuller »

Dale Fuller is my name. I'm the same person online as I am in person, or I try to be, so I just use my name. Too simple-minded to be able to manage more than one persona :D .

The Will Rogers quote? As much as I like knives, guitars, and traditional acoustic music, dogs are my passion. Can't (or won't) live without 'em. I live with 3 large ones now (but smaller than Finn) and my sister and I own a Dobermann kennel in FL. She does some S&R and cadaver search work for a couple of SO's in central FL and some "relationship modification" with dogs and their humans, and then we turn out a litter every 18-24 months.

I've said in a thread on BF that I remember every one of the 16 dogs I've lived with in my 58 years, but only a few of the people I've known. Guess that shows what my priorities are. Don't want to be any place they aren't... this round or the next one.
Regards,
Dale

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went."
~ Will Rogers, 1879-1935
Axlis

Post by Axlis »

Axlis is just an online identity I've been using for some time now, and what I usually name my console RPG player as well.
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

My forum name was created as to make sure that nobody would know who I am or what my real name is. I mean you know....you can't be too sure these days. :D

My signature is from the Bible. It's pretty self explanitory....and it is also something that I need to practice often.
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
bigkahunasix

Post by bigkahunasix »

Mine started out as a joke within my platoon in the Marines, I was the ranking sgt., ergo the Bigkahuna. It got to the point that everyone in the unit refered to my by it. Bigkahunasix became my radio call sign for about 7-8 years. Had not used it since retirement until finding this forum last year.

Bigk6

sig line is self explanatory.

Geezer Brigade is at the moment classified, if I explain it I would have too kill you. :eek: :p :D
Been packing at least two Spyderco knives a day since 1984

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]