Explain Yourself.

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Bolster

Explain Yourself.

Post by Bolster »

So I am becoming familiar with names I often see on this forum, but I wonder, what do these names mean? How did they come to be? For example:

Mastiff, Bluemist, SMCfalls, Clovisc, Meoman, Darkfin, Captan Carl, Fyunchclick, Cobrajoe, Tonydahose, BH49, Dedguy, Eastr, Mr Blonde, Jakemug, KaliGman, Fairbrook, Jujigatame, Spoonrobot, and many, many others... what's the story behind the name?

And then there are the sig lines that leave me scratching my head:

Follow the mushin, but pay it no heed.
I'd like an order of BUTTER with extra BUTTER and a side of BUTTER!
Si Vis Pacem Para bellum
"...less about saving lives then it was about bearing witness..."
Es mejor morir a pie que vivir arrodillado.
"Too many was too many, but way too many was just right."
"The riddle... of steel..." "Yes! You know what it is, don't you boy? "
...but no, no, you know it all, it's harmless little bunny...
I was told that I could listen to the radio at a reasonable volume ...
Hock Hochiem
WTC #1455
Registered Linux User #416561
When the world is pregnant with lies, a secret long hidden will be revealed.
"Behold, as a wild *** of the desert, so I go forth to my work."
The evil bomber what bombs at midnight.

What do they mean? How about letting us in on the secret?
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
para-force

Post by para-force »

Bolstermanic wrote: Si Vis Pacem Para bellum
My name is pretty random, but I can tell you what those two mean.

"If you want peace prepare for war"
and
"It's better to die on your feet than live on your knees"
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." -Edmund Burke
dedguy

Post by dedguy »

"dedguy" is a name I came up with when I was like 14 that I wanted to get as my license plate (which I never did). This was sort of inspired by the "Nite Man" license plate on the older vampire's BMW in the movie "My Best Friend's a Vampire". Movie was a favorite of mine as a kid. When I was trying to find an IRC name that wasn't taken back when I chatted on IRC dedguy came to mind.

My signature is a quote from a J.G. Thirwell (otherwise known as "Foetus") song. My favorite musician of all time. He edged out David Bowie around 2003.
"Always keep an edge on your knife son, because a good sharp edge is a man's best hedge against the vague uncertainties of life."
dedguy.net
coltsfan8116

Post by coltsfan8116 »

I love the Indianapolis Colts and my Unit number at work is 8116 :D Easy to redember
Tank

Post by Tank »

Tank is my oldest dogs name. He is a Newfoundland and he is also my avitar. My signature is a quote from Yoda in The Empire Strikes Back.
-John
Spyderwings

Post by Spyderwings »

Spyderwings --> Spyder...well that should be obvious
wings - I'm a pilot
Th232

Post by Th232 »

I think that one's just because uhiforgot likes butter.

Think it was an EMT quote about a guy who had someone die on him that night, and he realised that his job was less about saving lives &c.

Something says Hannibal Lecter (the fictional one), but I'm not sure about that.

Could be Monty Python and the Holy Grail with the rabbit, but I'm not too sure.

WTC #1455

The owner of the WTC knife of that number? There was a run of D'allaras made, the total count was the number of people who died, each knife had a piece of metal from one of the girders salvaged from the towers. Hope that's right.

And that's roughly all that I can figure.
Will

"No one wants to look the fool. Everyone does the best they can. If they knew better, they'd do better" - old woman on the railway tracks to Sal.

cobrajoe

Post by cobrajoe »

Bolstermanic wrote:So I am becoming familiar with names I often see on this forum, but I wonder, what do these names mean? How did they come to be? For example:

Mastiff, Bluemist, SMCfalls, Clovisc, Meoman, Darkfin, Captan Carl, Fyunchclick, Cobrajoe, Tonydahose, BH49, Dedguy, Eastr, Mr Blonde, Jakemug, KaliGman, Fairbrook, Jujigatame, Spoonrobot, and many, many others... what's the story behind the name?

And then there are the sig lines that leave me scratching my head:

Follow the mushin, but pay it no heed.
Si Vis Pacem Para bellum
"The riddle... of steel..." "Yes! You know what it is, don't you boy? "
I was told that I could listen to the radio at a reasonable volume ...
Hock Hochiem
WTC #1455
Registered Linux User #416561
When the world is pregnant with lies, a secret long hidden will be revealed.
"Behold, as a wild *** of the desert, so I go forth to my work."
The evil bomber what bombs at midnight.

What do they mean? How about letting us in on the secret?
Just a great line from a brilliant show. The Tick. One of the villans pronounced himself as "The evil midnight bomber what bombs at midnight!!" I still crack up when I read his stuff.

http://www.thetick.ws/embquotes.htm

As for me, my name is simple. The car that got me interested in cars (my greatest love of all the engineering feats) is the 427 Shelby Cobra, the beautiful beast in my avatar photo. Add that to Joe for my first name, and I thought Cobrajoe had a nice ring to it.
MEMBER OF THE INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE
jujigatame

Post by jujigatame »

For my username, it's a judo submission hold, an armbar specifically. I'm a fan of MMA and the jujigatame is one of my favorite holds to see used. Plus I thought it sounded better than calling myself "armbar" or "cross armbreaker." :)

More info on the hold here in case you are curious - http://www.fightingarts.com/reading/article.php?id=437

Also, the sig line "I was told I could listen to the radio at a reasonable volume" is a line from the movie Office Space from the Milton character, the dude that had the thick glasses and was always getting his office moved around before he burned Initech to the ground. Love that movie.

~ Nate
vampyrewolf

Post by vampyrewolf »

My username has been my name online for over 10yrs. Been running as VampyreWolf since 96, and a few other names in the process (think I've gone by 7-8 different ones over 10yrs of online gaming).

There are reasons for it that I doubt few on here would understand, but the "reasons" I've used in the past have been that I prefer nights ( I don't do daylight without a good amount of coffee in me, which explains my sig line :p ) and a an appreciation of wolves that has been there as long as I can remember.

Like I say though, I doubt few on here could understand the true meaning of WHY I chose this name 10+yrs ago to represent myself in the digital world. The whole christian world vs paegan beliefs thing gets in the way of understanding. Explaining to most ppl would probably have me thrown into the loony bin.
Coffee before Conciousness
Why do people worry more if you argue with your voices than if you just talk with them? What about if you lose those arguements?
Slowly going crazy at work... they found a way to make the voices work too.
Stenny

Post by Stenny »

The "Stenny" username just came up. I don't know why. :o
And my sig line is from Monty Python and the Holy Grail - where one of king Arthur's knights is slayed by the killer rabbit and Tim the sorcerer complains "I warned you! But no, no, you know it all, it's a harmless little bunny, isn't it?"
vampyrewolf: what about explaining it to these already ensconced in the loony bin? :D
SonnyD

Post by SonnyD »

Mine is pretty simple, it's simply my first name, and first digit of my last name.....not lots of imagination in there. I use the same username on 99% of all the forums I use.
Regards Sonny
Fender Strat...the Guitar that put the Rock in Rock&Roll
WOTANSON1

Post by WOTANSON1 »

I've always liked these threads,

WOTAN is the Germanic spelling of ODIN, principal God of my faith ODINISM also known as ASATRU. Since my religion encourages the personal identification with one of our many Gods, I most identify with Wotan, hence the name WOTANSON. The 1 was added when I had to re register for this forum.

My sig line "When the world is pregnant with lies, a secret long hidden will be revealed" is an Odinist prophecy, if you think about it in relation to the tenants of my faith, it should become clear, I hope.

Cheers,
Rob

PS. My avatar is Thor's Hammer, a 3000 year old symbol of my faith. I have worn one round my neck for 20+ years.
International Order of the SpyderEdge-founding member

Faith, Folk and Family

If you can read this, thank a Teacher.
If this is written in English, thank a US Soldier

NOT my "president"

Proud Member of SOSAK
huugh

Post by huugh »

Mine is from intelligent answer line "Hu-ugh?" I read in Fallout game review in Score magazine :)
I don't know why people sometimes think it has something to do with name "Hugh" because it doesn't :D I don't even know anyone with such name :)
(to quote T. Pratchett: "He was determined to discover the underlying logic behind the universe- which was going to be hard, because there wasn't one.")

And my sig line?
One is from Dune.

The other is from Red Dwarf.

Why these? Why not :p

P.S. my avatar is a sophisticated :rolleyes: drawing of Alien - so as to show on American forums that I'm foreigner :)
Jenner 515

Post by Jenner 515 »

The quote is from "Office Space"...the User Name? = My nickname in real life and my birthday...May 15.
I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar.
DRod

Post by DRod »

Mine was supposed to be The Incredible Bulk... But for some reason, I fudged it.
My sig has been translated. Im half Mexican and but speak about this much *holds finger and thumb about a tenth of an inch apart*.
I wish I learned more. I wish my dad taught me more... but here we are... :o
In the time of chimpanzees, I was a monkey.
Give us clear vision, that we may know where to stand and what to stand for - because unless we stand for something, we shall fall for anything.
~ Peter Marshall, US Senate Chaplain 1947
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

i got my nickname in the fire academy, my first name is tony, im from chicago (think mob), im italian and well i will leave the rest out..lol. the avatar is an old fire hydrant that i rigged to my pools pump. so whats up with your name, you can't start this thread and not explain yourself :D
Blackhair

Post by Blackhair »

I don't know if you want to hear the explaination for my name, but if you do, go here I!

I used to play... runescape... (yeah I did, I'm sorry. I was young, and stupid). And I wanted my name to be Blackbeard the Pirate, however, that name was too long; so I tried shortening it to Blackbeardtp, but that name was taken, so I used Blackhairtp instead.
Runescape having since been quit, I use Blackhair on quite a few forums and things now.
Back from an extended hiatus.
JBE

Post by JBE »

Th232 wrote: "...less about saving lives then it was about bearing witness..."

Think it was an EMT quote about a guy who had someone die on him that night, and he realized that his job was less about saving lives &c.
Very, very close. This is a quote from Joe Connely's book "Bringing Out the Dead" - a fictional story about a burned-out NYC paramedic named Frank Pierce. Incidentally, Mr. Connelly had also been a paramedic in NYC for about 9 years prior to writing the book and he has said that a lot of the book follows his own experiences as a paramedic. This quote was also used in the Martin Scorcese(sic?) movie of the same name that was based upon the book, albeit with a few liberties in the actual story line. Very little of what paramedics actually do involves "saving lives." 911 has sort of become a "relief valve" for the masses - when people have some sort of crisis, whether actual or perceived, many call for EMS and look to us for a solution to many of their problems, whether it's medical, psychological or otherwise. Our role actually includes that of social worker, taxi cab driver, etc., hence we "bear witness" to all of life's different major and small human tragedies that we get called to more than we actually "save lives."

The bottom sig is something I read on a bumper sticker on a co-workers car many years ago. Kinda makes you think...lol

JBE is my initials. Once upon a time went by the screen name Medic2110 in these forums, which was the one I first used when I registered, way before the forum makeover in 2004. Some of the forumites who have been around for a while may remember me by that one.
Jason
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Wow, these are great! I am impressed by the wit. For me, some of the sig lines have gone from "puzzling" to "I love that!"

My name and sig is not nearly as clever. Bolstermanic means somebody who is crazy about bolsters, and I do like knives with bolsters...some holdover from days gone by. "I aspire to be the man my dog thinks I am" is because I have a loving little tan-and-blac dachshund who treats me with much more respect and love than I deserve, and the little guy inspres me to be as good and strong a person as he clearly thinks I am.

BTW, I did not list every name and sig line that I'd like to hear about so if you weren't on my list please post here anyway. I got tired of cutting and pasting after 15 minutes and went with what I had. Please continue...
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189