Limited editions and Sprint runs

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
J Smith

Limited editions and Sprint runs

Post by J Smith »

I had a thought. :eek:
We are being offered very nice knives in Limited editions,great colors and new steels.How about doing a sprint rum of the 204 Sharpmaker in a Limited edition.Maybe with all the rods and in a nice wooded box?
I would go for one.
[CENTER]0 0[/CENTER]
[CENTER]<[/CENTER]
[CENTER]\____/[/CENTER]
Zatx

Post by Zatx »

Nice one! Never thought of that.

While we are on the subject of sprint runs...

I made a recommendation to Ruth about there being a new subset for the :spyder: Collectors Club members.

Currently there are two kinds of members, "All Variations" and "Mains only". The "All Variations" collector gets just that... all variations of every knife released as well as all Sprint Runs. The "Mains only", only gets the main new knife released each year with no sprint runs.

I proposed the following...

Mains with Sprint Runs.

Just a thought....
“Open, close, cut, clean, oil, cut, cut, cut... To a Spyderco, that is living. Letting it die in the box is to lose 75% of what we put into it." -----Sal Glesser
Fatboy

Post by Fatboy »

[quote="Zatx"]I proposed the following...

Mains with Sprint Runs.

QUOTE]

I agree 100 % :D
:spyder: Collector # 185
65 Spydies and counting
Fatboy

Post by Fatboy »

"I proposed the following...

Mains with Sprint Runs."

:spyder: Collector # 185
65 Spydies and counting
smcfalls13

Post by smcfalls13 »

I joined the Collectors Club for one major reason(and lots of little ones). I inevitably buy nearly every new knife Spyderco puts out, purely to try it out and see how I like it. Joining the club was just an easier way of acquiring those new models. I don't have to go through the hassle of getting on waiting lists and calling multiple dealers trying to find a knife. For that reason I chose the "Mains only" tier. I affectionately call it the "impatient user" tier ;) , because the people who join at this level aren't interested in "collecting" but getting their hands on the new stuff without waiting. Or maybe that's just me :p

For the true collectors, there is the "All Variants" level. Those members pay a premium(not higher prices, just higher quantity) to get ALL models that come out, including Sprint Runs. That level of commitment weeds out the collectors who want to pick and choose what models they want.

I'm not sure exactly why I don't like the idea of a Mains and Sprints level, but something about it just strikes me as unfair to the All Variants Collectors. A sprint run is usually little more than a variant, so why should be there be a level that allows a particular type of product. It would be little different from me joining the "Mains and Balis" level if it existed, or JD Spydo joining a "Mains and Hawkbills" level. Would I like it? Absolutely :cool: . Would it be fair to those who have made the commitment to purchase all the variants? Not at all.

Just my $.02
:spyder: Scott :spyder:

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give."
-Sir Winston Churchill-
Stevie Ray

Post by Stevie Ray »

Fatboy wrote:"I proposed the following...
Mains with Sprint Runs."
This has been proposed before and other than the fact that it might be a bit complicated for Spyderco to administer, I'm not sure why it's not offered. I guess adding an option like this to the collector program would put Spyderco in a position of having to decide on the "main" Sprint model in situations where more than 1 blade style is offered.

I'm a "main" collector and I end up buying the Sprints I want through my dealer at the same discount, so getting a specific Sprint model has never been a problem. Spyderco might well sell a few more knives by adding the "main + sprints" option to the collector program, as at this point I definitely do not buy all the Sprint models. A good example is the pink Delica. Sure, I'd sort of like to have one, but not enough to phone up the dealer and order one. If the "main + sprint" collector option was alive and kicking, I'd likely have found out about there being a pink Delica when it showed up on my doorstep. :)

Anyway ... not to highjack the thread, but it was kind of going this way. To follow Jeff's original comment, I'd be interested in the Sprint Sharpmaker if there isn't a huge price premium on it.
Steve
Vincent

Post by Vincent »

I need a new sharpmaker anyway, my rods have all chips on them. I would defiantly be in for one.

Also what if it had the suction thing on the botom, i forget what it is called, but you rest the product down and there is a little lever and when you turn the lever you get suction downward against holds it there.
Slick

Post by Slick »

To make a sharpmaker sprint collecable would take more than a nice case. I do not yet have a sharpmaker so I'm interested but... what more can you do to a sharpening system?

As a sharpener how would it be 'better' than the standard set?

As a collectable I couldn't use it so what is the point?

A deluxe Sharpmaker in a nice case with all the bells and whistles including a profile set plus whatever Spyderco through into the deal as a sweatener...

I'd be looking.
Not really all that slick ;)
Capt. Carl

Post by Capt. Carl »

I'm all for a sharpmaker with a more narrow angle for the knife aficionados. Sal, would this be possible to perhaps do a test run of a base with an angle more narrow than that of the 30 degree setting? Perhaps replace the 40 degree with the 30 degree?
dialex

Post by dialex »

Hi Jeff, I like your idea (and raise the ante) ;) . A Sharpmaker with white, gray and diamond rods, AND 401F1R (the round files) for the large serrations.
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.
Vincent

Post by Vincent »

I got this idea from watching the bowflex changing weight dumb bell paid program. What if it had the ability to set the angles, from 0 to 90 degrees. I think that would be pretty cool.
J Smith

Post by J Smith »

Vincent wrote:I got this idea from watching the bowflex changing weight dumb bell paid program. What if it had the ability to set the angles, from 0 to 90 degrees. I think that would be pretty cool.
Yes it would!
[CENTER]0 0[/CENTER]
[CENTER]<[/CENTER]
[CENTER]\____/[/CENTER]
zenheretic

Post by zenheretic »

Vincent wrote:I got this idea from watching the bowflex changing weight dumb bell paid program. What if it had the ability to set the angles, from 0 to 90 degrees. I think that would be pretty cool.
Now that is an interesting idea!

It must be all that engineering study flowing through your brain.

Can you imagine the discussion?

Well I find the 19 degree angle far superior to the 23.5 degree angle with blade X because....

:cool:
Follow the mushin, but pay it no heed.
Slick

Post by Slick »

You would have a Edge-Spyder-Pro-Sharpmaker thing.

An EdgePro comes marked at 11/15/18/21/24 degrees. I've added file cuts to mark every degree between 11 to 24 degrees. Silly overkill to be sure but I am appropriatly anal.

Could Spyderco make a sharpmaker with a set of nesting base 'wedges' tho accomplish this same range? Doesn't seem that hard although it would still be silly anal.

I would be more interested in a sharpmaker with super SpyderEdge ability. I once had a Delica 1 that morphed into a plain edge (minus 1/4 the blade). I just couldn't stand slowly boogering up the original SpyderEdge.

Anal indeed I am.
Not really all that slick ;)