What will this cost to get sharpened?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
malice4you

What will this cost to get sharpened?

Post by malice4you »

My Civilian has two small chips in the blade, which annoy me to no end, and I've gotten to the point that I would like to have it sharpened.

http://www.malice4you.com/images/civilian.jpg

Now, I'd like to include the correct amount of money the first time around, so I figured it'd be best to ask here first...based off this from the main :spyder: site...
Repair Information
Sharpening -- complimentary provided the edge of the knife is not severely damaged -- please include $5.00 for shipping and handling.
For the following repairs, please include $20.00 plus $5.00 shipping and handling:
Blade or Edge -- broken tip from prying or dropping, destroyed edge due to improper sharpening, loose blade from abuse, rust due to neglect or other blade issues. (Spyderco is unable to replace blades in most models)

I'm not sure if the two circled parts are what one would call severaly damaged....or just in need of some sharpening and loss of a little size...

I appreciate any insight :)
thanks!
-Dave
The CoPilot

Post by The CoPilot »

Those chips look minor enough that Spyderco should be able to take them out with the standard factory re-sharpening procedure. My guess is you'd only need to cover the costs of the postage both ways.
><> The most important blood trail leads to the Cross <><
C09 CoPilots My Specialty
Integrity is Being Good Even if No One is WatchingTM
Looking for: C04 Executive plain edge, C09 CoPilot plain edge with brass liners and a G-2 marked blade
Zatx

Post by Zatx »

$5.00
“Open, close, cut, clean, oil, cut, cut, cut... To a Spyderco, that is living. Letting it die in the box is to lose 75% of what we put into it." -----Sal Glesser
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

That knife looks well used. The Civilian is supposed to be for self defense only. I would consider it abuse since it looks like it's been used to cut regular stuff.

The tag that comes on the Civilian says it is not made for a regular user.

What on earth have you used that thing for?

I fail to believe that you've been in so many self defense situations that the blade is used and banged up from saving your life a whole bunch of times. :D

I would be inclined to say that if you did use it for cutting regular stuff and not for self defense that you would be paying $20-$45 to get that fixed. ;)
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
huugh

Post by huugh »

David Lowry wrote:That knife looks well used. The Civilian is supposed to be for self defense only. I would consider it abuse since it looks like it's been used to cut regular stuff.
Oh my...
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

David does have a point. The Civilian is not warranted for utility use, and the tag that's attached to it clearly notes that the tip can be damaged by such use. However, the damage seems relatively minor and might just be able to be eliminated without going beyond what Spyderco would consider a simple sharpening. Unless someone from Spyderco chimes in, the only way to know for sure is to send it in.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
zenheretic

Post by zenheretic »

I bought a Vesuvius once that either came from the factory unsharpened, or someone ground out the factory edge to flatness. I wasn't sure how to approach the problem so I sent two checks (one $5 and one $20 check) and explained my dilemna. "Discontinued knife, no edge, unknown if factory defect or previous owner stupidity." Spyderco sent the $20 back. I'd say just send in the $5 check but if you are really a worrier just cut two checks and see what happens. :)
Follow the mushin, but pay it no heed.
huugh

Post by huugh »

The Deacon wrote:David does have a point. The Civilian is not warranted for utility use, and the tag that's attached to it clearly notes that the tip can be damaged by such use. However, the damage seems relatively minor and might just be able to be eliminated without going beyond what Spyderco would consider a simple sharpening. Unless someone from Spyderco chimes in, the only way to know for sure is to send it in.
Yes, tip can be damaged / snap off. However how can cutting "regular" stuff rather than other human beings' flesh and bones :rolleyes: be considered abuse?
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

huugh wrote:Yes, tip can be damaged / snap off. However how can cutting "regular" stuff rather than other human beings' flesh and bones :rolleyes: be considered abuse?
My ex-wife could never understand why driving nails with my brass hammer was wrong either, after all it was clearly a hammer. :rolleyes:
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Zatx

Post by Zatx »

The Deacon wrote:My ex-wife could never understand why driving nails with my brass hammer was wrong either, after all it was clearly a hammer. :rolleyes:

Wow.. you must have really liked that hammer to make her your ex-wife over it.

:p :p :p
“Open, close, cut, clean, oil, cut, cut, cut... To a Spyderco, that is living. Letting it die in the box is to lose 75% of what we put into it." -----Sal Glesser
huugh

Post by huugh »

Deacon, either you don't understand me or you don't want to understand me. If the knife broke in half chopping through a log, yes it would be abuse.
Using the knife to the level so that it requires some sharpening (even the tiny bit of tip that is missing requires no more) is not, and never will be, what I dare to call abuse. It is not made of chocolate.

Btw here is the notice if anyone is interested.
NOTICE:
This knife was NOT designed to be used as utility knife. It's unique design will not support everyday use and our warranty will not cover the results of using it as utility knife.
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

huugh,

The Civilian is made for self defense only. It is not to be used to open boxes, open letters, cut food or anything else.

The tag attached to the Civilian says that you are not to use it for "daily chores".

The Notice you posted says it all. The warranty does not cover the knife when it is used for daily chores and utility. Unless the knife has been used on people during a self defense issue, it shouldn't be covered. A Civilian is being "abused" if it is used to cut open one box because that is not what it is designed for.

What is so hard for you to understand?
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
Joshua J.

Post by Joshua J. »

I thinned the edge of my Fallkniven U-2 much thinner than the Civilian, and I still use it for utility.
And yes, I did mess up the tip a bit. I also use my Civilian for special occasions when I want to open a package with extreme prejudice.
Spyderco says the Civi is not designed for utility, yes, but that’s just to stop people from coming crying for warranty repair when they should have known better.
Dave (malice4you) hasn’t been asking for warranty repair, he’s asking how much it will cost to fix.
Those chips will probably need a major re-profiling to remove them, I’d bet on it costing $20 instead of $5.
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

Joshua J. wrote:I thinned the edge of my Fallkniven U-2 much thinner than the Civilian, and I still use it for utility.
And yes, I did mess up the tip a bit. I also use my Civilian for special occasions when I want to open a package with extreme prejudice.
Spyderco says the Civi is not designed for utility, yes, but that’s just to stop people from coming crying for warranty repair when they should have known better.
Dave (malice4you) hasn’t been asking for warranty repair, he’s asking how much it will cost to fix.
Those chips will probably need a major re-profiling to remove them, I’d bet on it costing $20 instead of $5.
I agree 100%. That's why I said in my post that it would probably cost between $20 and $45 to fix. ;)
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Zatx wrote:Wow.. you must have really liked that hammer to make her your ex-wife over it.
I'm sorry, I know you guys are trying to have a serious discussion, but this quip had me howling with laughter...
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
eljay

Post by eljay »

Put another way, it's like a bike helmet. It gets used once (not used in the sense of carrying it on your head, used in the sense of smacking the pavement) and you buy a new one since it's likely to have suffered damage while saving your life. Likewise the Civilian is basically a disposable use once knife. If you don't like that, go with another model.
skcusloa

Post by skcusloa »

You guys act like there's some guy at the spyderco factory with a sharpmaker slaving away 24 hours a day to make our knives sharp, they have big crazy belt sanders and stuff. I bet the guy who sharpens the serrated blades could blast that thing out in 5 minutes and having it looking factory new.
zenheretic

Post by zenheretic »

Like I previously said; just cut two checks one for $5 and one for $20 and see what happens. My knife required a complete regrind as it had zero edge and was completely flat (imagine running the edge against a belt sander at a 90 degree angle). They only charged me $5 for the service. Since the water is murky due to the Civilian disclaimer, just cut two checks.
Follow the mushin, but pay it no heed.