There is still hope for NYC Knife carry

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Dr. Snubnose

There is still hope for NYC Knife carry

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Recently there was a thread where fellow forum member Garageboy was stopped by NYPD for carrying a clipped spyderco and I'm sure everyone remembers the details of the situation...just wanted to tell you a story that happened to one of my student's friends in a similiar stop by NYPD....

In this story which happened a couple of days ago a fellow was walking down the streets in NYC and was stopped by an officer because he had a Cold Steel 'Spike' attached to a static cord which was hanging out in the open down around his knee. Seems like he was originally carrying the sheath knife (Cold Steel Spike) inside his front pocket attached to a chain that was attached to his belt loop. Somehow the knife and sheath accidently dropped from his pocket and was swinging around down near his knee by the static cord and this fellow was totally unaware of this. The officer stopped him and ask to see the knife...after viewing the knife Mr. NYPD said "hey that's a nice knife!" and asked the fellow to please put it back into his pocket and make sure it was concealed. The fellow replaced the fallen knife back into his pocket and went about his merry way.... In NYC I guess it's all about who stops you, where and when...just thought I'd pass this story on about the fellow with the not so concealed knife and the NYPD Officer who didn't hassel him for it....Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
Th232

Post by Th232 »

Thanks for the story Doc, it's nice to hear about one of these occasions.
Will

"No one wants to look the fool. Everyone does the best they can. If they knew better, they'd do better" - old woman on the railway tracks to Sal.

Blackhair

Post by Blackhair »

The trick is to remember that each and every LEO is an individual, and in the same way that some people can act like jerks, you mustn't attribute a stereotype to a group just because of a bad experience with one member of that group :)

It's good to know that happy endings do happen in real life ;)
Back from an extended hiatus.
stonyman

Post by stonyman »

Ditto on the above statements. It is usually on the officer you deal with. Take care all and pray that if you have an encouter with the NYPD.......it is one like the officer in this case. :D
Episteme

Post by Episteme »

Wow, that sure makes me feel a little better about NYC. I guess it depends a lot on the particulars of the situation; you could get hasseled for wearing a Spyderco Dragonfly or be complimented for carrying a 'nice' fixed blade.
I'll just be sure to wear my knives inside the pocket, out of sight, whenever in NYC.
-Mike
"Two things fill the mind with ever new and increasing admiration and awe, the more often and steadily we reflect upon them: the starry heavens above me and the moral law within me." -Immanuel Kant

"I do not worry about what will happen; only what needs to be done". -Lucious Hunt, "The Village"
ken

Post by ken »

The only hope is to get rid of the cops and let "The Warriors" run the city!

I saw the movie. All it takes is one bad action by a cop to make the whole mess of em' look bad...
ken
Monocrom

Post by Monocrom »

Yeah, it definitely depends on which Officer stops you. Ironically, part of the City's knife laws require that a knife be carried completely concealed, if carried at all.... That means not even the clip can be exposed if it belongs to a knife.
"The World is insane, with small pockets of sanity here & there. Not the other way around."

:spyder:-John Cleese- :spyder:
zenheretic

Post by zenheretic »

Nice story Doc! On another note it seems someone needs to work on some awareness. :D
Follow the mushin, but pay it no heed.
dialex

Post by dialex »

Nice story Doc.
Interesting thing in the American federation is that in certain places you commit a felony if you barely show the knife, in others if you don't show it at all :confused:
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.