How do you shave?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Vincent

Post by Vincent »

Chris_H wrote:Vincent--
Great setup you've got already, and I use some of those shave creams as well. That's a Gillette Fatboy, right? Mine's a F1 -- Q1 1960.
yep the fatboy is one of my favs

Harry White wrote:Gillett Mach III with Edge shaving gel (I hate the foam). Though after reading these posts, I would like to try some shave soap.

Any other recommendations besides Proraso?

Thanks.
Well I have a good amount of shave stuff, not nearly as much as some folks as the shave my face forums, but the proraso is by far my Fav.

There are a few more options, if you check CVS they may have the Red Polmolive, if not Il be glad to send ya a tube. CVS doesn't sell it anymore so when It went on clearance I bought maybe 20 tubes. This stuff is generally cheap. It smells bad but does a OK job.

There is also Trumpers which is a Old english style which I sometimes enjoy. They usually run around $30 for the shave soap along with the bowl. Now they come in Wood Bowls, as you can see in my pics they used to come in plastic. The wood looks nice. Ypu can also just get the refills which are about $15. Ya don't really need the bowl or container, it just makes it nicer

Col Conk is a good shave soap at a good price. they are all under $6 and I like the Amber.

As for Brushes, There are so many to choose from, some starting very cheap and others going to the thousands of dollars. I like the Brand Omega as they have good quality at a good price. Around $15. I do like Boar brushes alot better than nylon.
Vincent

Post by Vincent »

Now I have been to Paul Mole here in NYC and even though it was about $25 to shave my face, it was the best shave I have ever had. Simply amazing what a Straight edge can do. Even though I would be scarred to do it myself.
Jurphaas

Post by Jurphaas »

How do I shave? In a Hurry!
Jurphaas :D
Clipits Work!
* WTC # 0107 *
dialex

Post by dialex »

Hi VIncent. You know, last night I was watching "Pitch Black" with Vin Diesel as Riddick and he was shaving his head using a homemade knife (something like a fixed blade Civilian, but sharpened on both sides) and instead of soap he was using - may God forgive me, but it looked like valvoline or something :eek:
For my part, untill they'll invent a depilatory soap which works for the beard, I think I'll stick to the Gillette Mach III...
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.
dialex

Post by dialex »

Jurphaas wrote:How do I shave? In a Hurry!
Jurphaas :D
Hi Jur, I know how it is. Oftenly, at work they say "look, you missed a spot"... :o
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.
Hannibal Lecter

Ha!

Post by Hannibal Lecter »

My Dear Friends,

How do I shave? As infrequently as will be tolerated by the LSW. :p

Actually, I shave generally once every other day with an occasional lapse on the week-end. I use a Quattro disposable with Edge shave gel and Shave Secret shave oil in combination. Works well enough. I have fairly light-colored facial hair (my father could shave once a week while in the army at age 18 and still pass inspection) and it grows s-l-o-w-l-y. :D

And I always shave in the shower to soften the hair and avoid abrasion.

--------
Hannibal
---------------------

"I have followed with enthusiasm the course of your disgrace and public shaming. My own never bothered me except for the inconvenience of being incarcerated, but you may lack perspective."
Monocrom

Post by Monocrom »

Schick Quattro razor and a can of shave cream. (Usually, whichever Brand is on sale when I run out of cream).

Shavers aren't strong enough, and I'd probably cut myself too often with an Old-fashioned razor.
"The World is insane, with small pockets of sanity here & there. Not the other way around."

:spyder:-John Cleese- :spyder:
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

A Gillette 3 bladed razor with canned gel. I stopped using my straight razor years ago. I am usually in a hurry and hurry and straight razor don't belong together. Joe
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
Zwaplat

Post by Zwaplat »

[quote="ExSpAgtStarling"]I wax!!! :D

I'll take that to mean "girls and guys" ]

Well I do hope you only wax bodyparts that are lower than your face. Can't even bear to think of waxing my face. :D

Myself, I don't shave much anymore these days. Started electrical (standard Philishave, horrible thing now I think back to it). Then I went to using a Wilkinson Sword Quattro with Nivea cream in a can. Babyskin cheeks after a shave like that. :D
I've got a little beard growing now, people tell me it looks nice so I'm leaving it. Just do the upper lip and some corners here and there with hot water and the Quattro. No irritation at all.

I'd love to straight shave tho. Back to good old basics. All that safety nonsense these days...it never works like it's supposed to.
Help science, join Folding@Home !
*Cho*

Post by *Cho* »

I use the Merkur Luxuestui safety razor, with a Merkur boar brush (wood handle) and Col. Conk shaving soapl.
JBE

Post by JBE »

Dang, Vincent, I wish you wouldn't have started this thread...Now you've started something...I've been reading the forums over at shavemyface.com and I think I've found yet another hobby to start spending my money on. :p
Jason
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

I am coming late to this thread....How do I shave....First a little History....I have the toughest beard I know....I can sharpen spyderco knives on my face....LOL....I have a 5 o'clock shadow at 11am....That being said I have ran the entire collection of shaving equiptment available to the public for over 40 years...Started with the Single edge safety Razor...Graduated to the Double Edge Safety Razor....Single edge style (Bic like razors)...Next to the Double Edge and then Triple and Four blades won't fit under my nose...I used every type of Electric Razor known to man which all would rip my face up... only got a good shave with a straight edge, but it took too long to do right, without taking chunks of flesh from my face....Then one day someone told me a secret....."Want a good shave with an Electric Razor? Don't do it after your shower...but do it before you shower!!!"
Now I'm a fully Electric Shaving man....The advice was priceless...cause I get the closest shave ever with any electric shaver I use...it's quick and I only have to shave once a day....My 5 o'clock shadow now appears at 9pm rather than 11am...All those years of frustration about getting a close shave are now over....I had been shaving after my shower....now I shave before and what a world of difference.....Doc :D :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
fret

Post by fret »

Gillette Fusion with a dose of Colgate shaving cream and hot water. :)
FLYcrash

Post by FLYcrash »

Every other day, I:

(1) Lather a Vulfix super badger brush with warm water and Taylor's of Old Bond Street lavender shave soap.

(2) Do two passes (one with the grain, one against) with a DOVO 5/8" carbon steel straight razor, stropped before each pass on a DOVO rindleder strop. Lather the shaving area before each pass. Touch up the parts I missed after the second pass.

(3) Exfoliate the rest of my face with the extra lather on the brush.

(4) Moisturize with Lubriderm sensitive skin lotion.

It takes about 25 minutes from when I initially wet my face to when I clean my razor with rubbing alcohol and rinse off my brush. The ritual gets me really clean-shaven and puts me in a serene state of mind. I love it. Staight razor shaving is what rekindled my childhood fascination with sharp steel things.
Slick

Post by Slick »

Doc Snubnose I call bullstuff,

The only shaving thing I am sure of is that a heat and wet = a softend beard and is easier to shave. Maybe an electric razor likes dry/hard wiskers (?). I know a blade works best after a HOT towel and/or a hot shower (and a hot towel).

Doc Snubnose, I've always believed in you (potentiallaly scared of you : ;) but this just seems wrong. I am fair skinned and blond so my mileage varies. I too can get by shaving every other day. It is a gift.

As far as a face lube - a soap is soap is just a lubricant. I now expext a pissing war of which is better to shave with. Balistol, Hoppies #9, Whale oil, or Flitz. If you want a conditioner apply it after a good rinse of any soap/lube crap you use.

The triple blade shaver is too wide for portions of my face. The Gillette double is the best I've found so far.

Mr. Doc S. Nose,

What is the electric razor to which you refer? I would love to go the non-soap-wet-hot conditioner-replacement-blades route. Really I would.

You can PM me if the product name is a State secret.
Not really all that slick ;)
Agent Starling

Post by Agent Starling »

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExSpAgtStarling
I wax!!!

Ex Special Agent Starling
Zwaplat wrote:Well I do hope you only wax bodyparts that are lower than your face. Can't even bear to think of waxing my face. :D

Well rest assured, dear knifebrother, that i *do* in fact wax below the face. Did you expect otherwise??? :p :D
Zwaplat wrote:Then I went to using a Wilkinson Sword Quattro with Nivea cream in a can. Babyskin cheeks after a shave like that. :D
I do hope that you, however, would wax *above* the neck........ :eek: :p :D :D

Ex Special Agent Starling :cool:
"Too many was too many, but way too many was just right."
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

[quote="Slick"]Doc Snubnose I call bullstuff,

The only shaving thing I am sure of is that a heat and wet = a softend beard and is easier to shave. Maybe an electric razor likes dry/hard wiskers (?). I know a blade works best after a HOT towel and/or a hot shower (and a hot towel).

Doc Snubnose, I've always believed in you (potentiallaly scared of you : ]

Slick right now I'm using two different electric shavers...My favorite is: Panasonic Linear ES8023 (they are hard to find as balding men found out this razor is the best one available for a clean shave of the head) the other which is not as good but works fine is a cheap ($36) Braun 1775 and yes I agree the best shaves with non-electric blades is done by a hot lathering of the face......Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
Axlis

Post by Axlis »

I don't :)
Stevie Ray

Post by Stevie Ray »

These days (Mon-Fri) it's Gillette Good News disposables in the shower. For shaving soap, sometimes I use Dove bar soap and sometimes I use Edge. I do my best not to shave on Sat-Sun. :cool:

Used electric razors (along with Williams Lectric Shave) for years (Norelco, Panasonic), and still use one when I'm running late, but just can't get past having to take a razor to my neck. The electric just won't cut it .. (pun intended) .. :D
Steve
FLYcrash

A little factoid

Post by FLYcrash »

Just now, I was feeling curious about the edge angle on a straight razor. So I got out a ruler and my DOVO, did a little trigonometry, and discovered:

The bevel on a straight razor is about 6.5 degrees each side/13 degrees included.

:eek:

This probably explains why you have to strop a razor before each use. A good, smooth, effortless shave demands an extremely aggressive bevel, but the resulting edge will roll even during a typical shaving session. Hence all the stropping.

Just thought you might like to know.